SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:24 AM
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
2,453 Posts
I have to say that I am absolutely pleased with this purchase. It is a joy to fly and with the current sale an unbeatable bargain. I haven't had any troubles with over 5 flights. I am thinking of buying another so I can have fun doing some mods. Retracts would be awesome. For $109 trx ready at my front door this is a no brain-er!
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:25 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
294 Posts
Great review, I agree with everything you said about this plane. I have about 5 flights on mine now and I'm absolute loving it. It is a joy to fly and my favorite thing about it is the long flight times for an electric. I'm getting 8 minute flights with fairly easy flying and only putting 75% back into the stock battery. I could probably get longer with a better battery of the same size. The only thing I don't like is not with the plane at all but with the stock battery. 1C max charge rate. I am spoiled to my Much larger GensAce packs charging at 5C in 12-15 mins. and this 1800 pack @ 1C takes almost at least 45 mins. But really if that is the only thing I have to complain about, then that speaks loads towards this plane.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:18 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
The stock flyzone pack (it's different than the other 3sx1800 flyzone) is a very good quality pack that is capable of far greater charge rates than 1C. Mine ALWAYS gets set to 30 amps and 4.3 termination. It is a very good quality pack.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:59 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
The stock flyzone pack (it's different than the other 3sx1800 flyzone) is a very good quality pack that is capable of far greater charge rates than 1C. Mine ALWAYS gets set to 30 amps and 4.3 termination. It is a very good quality pack.
The Flyzone pack actually says max charge rate 1.8 amps (1C). Your saying you charge one 3s 1800 pack at 30 amps, and you charge it to 4.3 volts/cell? Thats just shy of 17C charge rate, it's only a 20C discharge pack with an IR of 8.7 milliohms. (Now if your parallel charging thats a completely different story.) Plus the max safe voltage of Lipo cells (any brand) is 4.2 volts/cell. How do you get your charger to let you go that high? Mine (Revolectrix PL6) doesn't even give an option on termination voltage above 4.2. My GensAce packs with and IR of 1.3 milliohms have a max charge rate of 5C. thats only 20 amps for a 4S 4000mah pack. How long does it take your 1800 to charge, 4 minutes, and how hot and puffy is it when done?

I'm not saying you don't charge at the rates you say, but I think I'm going to stay a bit lower just to be on the safe side.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:33 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
When I "charge like everyone else" that is using a cc/cv routine I leave the i-charger set on 30 amps and 12.9 volts. It's been set that way ever since I bought it and most of my charges are 6-7 minutes. I fly twice as long as I charge I guess you could say that I'm mean to my batteries when charging and very nice to them when using them.

The flyzone pack warms up about 10-20 deg F , perfect for flying. There's no puffing. I'm not saying that you should charge at these settings, but merely wanted to point out that the flyzone packs were actually pretty good quality packs.

For this particular Flyzone 3sx1800 there are two of them that I'm aware of.

The good one is HCAA6430 and the other one is HCAA3840. I'm not sure why the difference or which pack may be older. I think the good pack comes with the RTF FW190,Beaver,Switch,MM,etc.

They're not the same weight either if memory serves. I'm sure you'd be tickled to double your charge rate and cut your time nearly in half.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Sep 04, 2013, 06:38 PM
Joined Apr 2013
8 Posts
Millennium Master

Does anybody know where spare/parts are available for this airplane? (Cowl, etc.)
AeroBatwing is offline Find More Posts by AeroBatwing
Old Sep 04, 2013, 07:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,453 Posts
tower
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2013, 01:11 PM
I just want to go fly!
United States, MD, Towson
Joined Aug 2012
2,563 Posts
i was looking at the multiplex tucano kit but this might scratch that itch for less money. i guess i would add the 2 exhaust pipes and make it look even closer to that plane. can this foam be prepped and painted with any success? thanks, walt
walter3rd is offline Find More Posts by walter3rd
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:25 AM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
I think it looks better without the red myself

I painted over only the red parts of the plane with success, even with a bunch of masking.

I first sprayed the airframe with Minwax Polycrylic so that the masking of the other colors would not lift any of the masked-off paint once removed. I also masked primarily with Post-It notes as the adhesive is very low-tack.

I used a dark gray Rustolium spray paint, and some black paint on bottom side. Here's a pic I posted in the other thread:

http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/at...46-175-MM1.jpg
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Sep 30, 2013, 09:04 AM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,563 Posts
phoam, that looks fantastic! i want to go grey as well and then add military markings. maybe even the shark teeth. thinking of adding fake side exhaust like the tucano too. you plane has inspired me to go for it! can you tell me your prop, motor exc combo and any other stuff you feel makes her a better bird? well done!very sharp and much better without the red i agree! walt. p.s. how did you spray paint her without the propellant eating the foam???
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:26 PM
In thrust we trust
Aguanga, Ca
Joined Mar 2010
1,299 Posts
Thanks Walt. The Polycrylic I applied to the airframe acts as clear coat or a sealer to protect the foam against things like aerosol propellant, but I think the factory paint alone is enough of a barrier to keep paint from eating the foam. I do believe EPO foam is tollerant of most spray paints, but you also play it safe by using foam-safe waterbased spray paints like Krylon H20, or Krylon Shortcuts, etc.

I been running a Turnigy L3010B-1300 motor and a HK 50-amp ESC. It draws about 430-440 watts with an APC 9x6 Sport prop on my 3S 2200 35C packs.

Here's a link to more pics. In hindsight the prop info in that post isn't the most accurate near the end of the list due to voltage sag using the same battery on the different props.

Looking forward to your Flying Tigers MM
phoam is offline Find More Posts by phoam
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:29 PM
I just want to go fly!
Joined Aug 2012
2,563 Posts
thanks for the link to the nice pics! she is a beauty. very excited to get started. i would really like to get this girl to scoot pretty fast so i guess the stock guts are not going to cut it. i don't know whats more exciting, a great paint job teeth and all or the hot rod guts... thanks for the inspiration. Walt
Old Jan 22, 2014, 06:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
2,453 Posts
On sale!

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LR0867&P=IR
RCG Plus Member