HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by clayjrw, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 05:35 PM
San Bernardino,CA
Joined Nov 2003
8 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Old Buzzard's Soaring Book

Wanted: Old Buzzard's Soaring Book by Dave Thornburg. Please state condition and price. E-Mail clayjrw@yahoo.com
clayjrw is offline Find More Posts by clayjrw
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 22, 2003, 09:33 PM
Joined Nov 2003
14 Posts
soaring book

that book never helped me ,wana thermal try a day with light winds and thermal a small amount down wind of where youre standing it will be easy for you youll see,
kwhite is offline Find More Posts by kwhite
Old Nov 24, 2003, 05:24 PM
San Bernardino,CA
Joined Nov 2003
8 Posts
Thanks for the advice, kwhite, I'll try it and let the group know my results.
Old Nov 24, 2003, 07:01 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Trader Rating: 103
Hi clayjrw,
Welcome to RC Groups!

I got my copy on ebay for about half price. You can set-up a search tool that will email you daily and let you know when one shows up.

There is also an online source for new copies that I can't remember. Use the "Search" button in the upper right corner - it should turn it up.

I read it many years ago and then again recently and find I learn something new each time I pick it up.

I highly recommend it!
Mauilvr is offline Find More Posts by Mauilvr
Old Nov 25, 2003, 06:05 PM
San Bernardino,CA
Joined Nov 2003
8 Posts
Hi Ric, thanks for the info about the E-bay search/ E-mail tool. Dave Thornburgh has a web site @ soaringstuff.com, however the web site says the book is no longer being printed. He does offer a video I am considering, though.

Clay
Old Nov 25, 2003, 10:25 PM
Fly 'til last piece stops
Jefferson City, MO
Joined Oct 2002
89 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
Get the video

Hi Clayjrw!

I would have to agree with what Ric said, except that I own the video! Each and every time I watch it, I learn something new. The copy I have is several years old and the sailplanes shown in the copy that I own are now rather dated, yet timeless examples and it really doesn't matter since the information about thermal soaring is still valid no matter what ship is being flown. I think you'll enjoy it - they sure had a good time filming it, as you'll see if you purchase it.

Take care!

Shaun
Mud Duck is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck
Old Nov 26, 2003, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2002
596 Posts
Trader Rating: 3
How about "The River of Air" as described by Thornburgh? That invaluable piece of information alone is worth the price of the book!

It really is a must read IMO.

Tony D.
Tony D. is offline Find More Posts by Tony D.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 03:26 AM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
The book has been out of print for quite awhile and becoming increasingly difficult to find. Now, apparently just about impossible.

A few months ago several places had it in stock for $27.95 + Shipping. They all now say they are "Out of Stock".

I spent some time tonight using the "Search" button and finally found the link to what may be the last remaining distributor to have a copy.

Since it's so difficult to get I decided to get myself a new copy. I just ordered it from Carstens Publications (Flying Models) for $16.95 + $5.00 shipping.

They are the only place I could find it available.

I hope they can still deliver it. I know that one RC Groups member got a copy delivered to Australia from them just a few months ago.
If you want a copy (and you should ) I'd order right away. It's a small investment that will pay off dividends.

Great reading, too. If you haven't experienced Dave's wit then you're in for a treat, IMO.
Last edited by Mauilvr; Nov 26, 2003 at 03:53 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:50 PM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
Ric,

Thanks for the link. I just ordered one myself.

Thanks,

David
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Nov 26, 2003, 04:59 PM
San Bernardino,CA
Joined Nov 2003
8 Posts
Thank you very much Ric for the link. I ordered my copy 11-26-03, from Carsten's. Everyones advice has been great!

Clay
Old Nov 26, 2003, 05:19 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
Now I'm especially glad I took the time to find it. It's great to see a couple of you took advantage......I don't think you'll be sorry.

Now let's cross our fingers and hope they can deliver.......
Last edited by Mauilvr; Nov 26, 2003 at 07:49 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 07:38 PM
Sparta,TN
Joined Jul 2003
79 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Got my copy from them about 2 weeks ago. Still had them then, quick shipping had it in 3 days. VERY good book for beginners like me.
edee61 is offline Find More Posts by edee61
Old Nov 26, 2003, 07:50 PM
Almost a Pilot
NorCal
Joined Oct 2001
3,760 Posts
That's very encouraging to hear......
Old Nov 27, 2003, 12:00 AM
Colorado Front Range, USA, EARTH, Sol system, Milkyway Galaxy
Joined Nov 2001
2,356 Posts
Trader Rating: 16
I got my confirmation tonight.

Lets hope I don't get a un-confirmation.
The Other Dave is offline Find More Posts by The Other Dave
Old Nov 28, 2003, 03:45 PM
Douglas, Arizona
Joined Sep 2003
98 Posts
I'm with The Other Dave, only I just ordered mine today (11/28/03). Oh well, if they're out I can't do much more that cry, right? John
Pteradactyl is offline Find More Posts by Pteradactyl
Closed Thread