HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Evel Knievel, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:27 PM
"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"
USA, GA, Macon
Joined Oct 2008
884 Posts
Build Log
Micro Corsair Conversion

With HHAEFI coming up we have been discussing a few fun events to have during the event. One of the first events that we thought up, and by far one of the most intriguing so far is a Reno style ultra-micro warbird race. I have a UM Mosquito that I absolutely love and plan to race in October. As we played around with the idea and tried out a few mock races I began to think more and more about one of my alltime favorite racers, the # 57 F2G Corsair.

You can read the full history on #57 HERE.

Finally I had to give in. My buddy Shards hooked me up with a Corsair airframe at a good price and the project began. The F2G was structurally different in a few ways most notably the bubble canopy. There was also the addition of a HUGE Pratt & Whitney R-4360 28 cylinder radial engine with an astounding 3000 hp. This engine lengthened the cowl and added an iconic carburetor intake scoop on the top of the cowl. All in all it resulted in a striking and unique aircraft.

The first challenge was converting the turtle deck to a bubble canopy. A friend directed me to Park Flyer Plastics who sells a cockpit kit for the ultra micro Mustang. The kit is a reasonable $4 and includes clear bubble canopy and pilot figure/cockpit detail. The kit fits the mustang perfectly and only required a small amount of modification to work on the Corsair. painting is required. See the pictures below. Other than that it was just a matter of adding the scoop and painting. Take a look at the picture below. More details are included in the captions.

Flight report coming soon.

Enjoy,

Chris
Evel Knievel is offline Find More Posts by Evel Knievel
Last edited by Evel Knievel; Jul 31, 2012 at 10:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts