HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:08 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Thanks Tim,
I'll try that ,I've just guessed at what would work in the past...HURC uses simple wieght of the plane (2 to4 pounds use this combo with this prop sort of thing)on their website,that worked for awhile..I've been flying for 4 years all electric's and my plane seem like they're somehow getting slower and slower

Hey kitashi, looks like a roll or two of tape on that bird are you upgradeing motor's too ???
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:37 PM
Puerto Rico, Carolina
Joined May 2011
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by planesilver View Post

Hey kitashi, looks like a roll or two of tape on that bird are you upgradeing motor's too ???

It has gone through 4 different motors, this is my warming up plane everytime I go to the field and it is always a joy to fly.
What would I do without another roll of aluminum tape!
kizashi is offline Find More Posts by kizashi
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:50 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Hm-m-m-m.....!! A warm -up plane !!! Sounds like a good idea,3 to 6 inches of snow today and 3 to 6 more tonight and snow every day for the next week...I need one of those !!!! The only flyin' I'm doing is in a gym and on the Sim I wonder how many BTU's I'll need to clear our field runway
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:06 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
I maidened mine yesterday. Flew great right out of the box with stock motor and prop. Using 2200 3s battery packs.
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:40 PM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Back up and flying again; replaced the smashed cowl, cut the box-frame motor mount back 1/2 inch and made a forward bulkhead out of balsa ply to mount up a Power Up 480 Plus motor from Heads Up RC. This motor is a little heavier than the stock one and with battery all the way up against bulkhead the CG is right on without any ballast in the nose. Using a Parkzone 9.5 x 7.5 prop.
Glideman73 is offline Find More Posts by Glideman73
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:18 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideman73 View Post
Back up and flying again; replaced the smashed cowl, cut the box-frame motor mount back 1/2 inch and made a forward bulkhead out of balsa ply to mount up a Power Up 480 Plus motor from Heads Up RC. This motor is a little heavier than the stock one and with battery all the way up against bulkhead the CG is right on without any ballast in the nose. Using a Parkzone 9.5 x 7.5 prop.
Can you post a picture of that 480 mounted ?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:35 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Just ordered the HellCat it's in stock,but the 3 blade props won't be in for a few day's.. the 3 blade is a 10-6 it will look great with yellow tips on flyby's...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, MS, Grenada
Joined Aug 2012
24 Posts
Just received my Corsair in the mail today. I'm so excited!! This will be my first plane. I have tons of time on the sim (phoenix rc). Still waiting on my RX to arrive (Orange RX R615). Anyone had any trouble using this RX with their planes? Also, any pointers for a first time flyer? Thanks and I have enjoyed reading all of your post.
Koonce is online now Find More Posts by Koonce
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:27 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koonce View Post
Anyone had any trouble using this RX with their planes?
That RX will be just fine.

Quote:
Just received my Corsair in the mail today. I'm so excited!! This will be my first plane. I have tons of time on the sim (phoenix rc). Also, any pointers for a first time flyer? Thanks and I have enjoyed reading all of your post.
Yes pointer number one - the Corsair is NOT a trainer in any way shape or form. Get a good trainer and fly it first. Please don't try to fly that with just SIM time - your experience will simply not be a good one.

Trust me!

So when you hop back to the war - the Corsair was not the first plane WW2 pilots flew. They advanced from plane to plane until they were ready for the speed, power and quick responses needed to fly the F4U. You really need to walk the same path. There are so many good trainers that will give you experience and confidence. The SIM's just don't do a great job at how fast this plane will require you to react.

Trainers provide the time you need to think!

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:42 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
I have two of these and use an Orange RX in one of them bound to my Spektrum DX7s with no problems. However, pda4you is right, this is NO beginner plane. With no steerable tailwheel, this plane requires A LOT of right rudder to track straight for an ROG takeoff. You can hand launch the plane, but it is very sensitive in flight and twitchy. Landing her without nosing over takes some skill. This plane will be difficult to fly for a first timer and no amount of sim time will make it any easier.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
24 Posts
Thanks for the pointers. I do have access to a J3 Piper Cub (about 7 years old). The only problem is it is a 3 ch. Throttle is a dial on the back of tx. rudder right stick and elevator left stick. I thought it would be better to start with a 4 ch. Maybe I should hold off and invest in a 4 ch trainer. Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on a good trainer that would get me ready for the Corsair?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:09 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
This is a fun plane, but like others have said, it needs a lot of right rudder on take off, and even on a 'pretty good' landing it likes to nose over. Up elevator after you land helps. Dial in the throws and CG just like the instructions suggest and if you have a computer radio, a generous amount of expo. Put some bright stripes on the bottom, this plane likes to blend into the sky.

It would help if an experienced pilot got the plane dialed in for you, which along with what the others are saying, I think you aren't giving yourself a fair chance by using this is a trainer. I have Phoenix and Realflight, and the Tower Hobby corsair does not fly like the corsairs in these sims. For example, the parkzone corsair flies more slow/scale and feels heavier and more stable in the air than the Tower Hobby corsair feels in reality.

The parkzone Corsair in Phoenix feels like a great trainer and if the real one flies like that it might be a good trainer except that it is a tail dragger. Lots of threads around here talking about 'good first planes'

If you go through with it by yourself, be ready for it to roll to the left when you take off, or even nose over on take off. Get some altitude, don't panic and give as little control to the plane as you can - let it fly itself as much as possible. (hard to do if it is not trimmed). I wish you luck, and many of us have learned to fly in the scool of hard knocks - and the sport is much cheaper than it used to be!
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the pointers. I do have access to a J3 Piper Cub (about 7 years old). The only problem is it is a 3 ch. Throttle is a dial on the back of tx. rudder right stick and elevator left stick. I thought it would be better to start with a 4 ch. Maybe I should hold off and invest in a 4 ch trainer. Thanks for the advice. Any suggestions on a good trainer that would get me ready for the Corsair?
Can you adapt your new RX in this piper cub? A 3 channel cub would be a great trainer if you can use controls that you are more accustomed to.

A friend of mine has 3 of these and learned to fly on them. Great trainer if you are ready for ailerons.

http://www.bananahobby.com/sky-train...5364-prd1.html
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Feb 12, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Aug 2012
24 Posts
Think I will shelf the corsair until I get some time under this plane. Thanks so much for the advice!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:55 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Think I will shelf the corsair until I get some time under this plane. Thanks so much for the advice!
That is best. If are teaching yourself I recommend the Champ - best for light wind conditions.

There are MANY great trainers though just depends on the budget. Most scale cubs are pretty poor trainers in my mind. But a 3ch Cub you have may be perfect. Snap a pic of it - or do you know the brand?

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member