HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:16 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
Hey guys, got a couple questions about this bird. Im thinking about getting one. I have the TH Mustang and still love to fly it so I can only assume this is a good plane also.

What battery are most of you using?
What prop has a good balance of power/speed/flight time?

I have a few 3s 2200's laying around, how do these fit? Any modifications need to be done?

One last thing, how does it do with the LG on short grass? I know the TH P-51 was not worth a HOOT on grass, so I just belly land it.

Thanks in advance guys!
I'm flying with 2200 3s. They fit, but to get the CG I wanted, I had to file down a little foam so I could push the battery all the way to the firewall. I have found the stock 'ultra thin/light' prop to be about the best one. I have flown with APC style 9inch propellers, I think 9x7 or 9x8, but the stock prop is so light, the motor seems to be able to get better rpm and more thrust.

I have never tried to take off from the grass or with a hand launch. On landing, on the super rare times I miss the runway and land on the grass (ok, fairly often ), it always noses over. I would take the wheels off and belly land if you have to land on grass.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:01 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyFlya View Post
Just added my park zone corsair tail wheel assembly. Took less than a hour.Small circular hole to fit control arm thru, four small wood blocks recessed into four corners of foam.5 min epoxy to hold them in.Screwed down the mount with the screws supplied,Quick connector on servo.Bing bam boom..done.A little duck egg blue paint,close enough. Works great.Can't wait to try it out.
Yeah ! A steerable tailwheel sure makes this a complete plane ...My mod is posted a few pages back along with a video,as for noseovers I did a mod like the P-51 ,just bend the LG forward a little more ,I still get a scuffed nose once in a while,but it's a small plane and the grass is tall..Keeping it on the runway helps...
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
Just got this bird for my Christmas gift. Now I have a few questions before I start putting it together.

What prop are you guys finding to work good with 3s 2200 lipos and the stock ESC/motor set-up?

Also looks like some of you are using a 3 blade prop, can this still be used since I plan to belly land? I have the TH P-51 with a regular 2 blade prop and I belly land it and its no big deal, but seems like the 3 blade would be hitting the ground. Or am I wrong here?

Which 3 blade prop is the best choice??
big_poppa4904 is offline Find More Posts by big_poppa4904
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:32 PM
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
It's freezing and windy where I live right now. I'm jealous of anyone who is still flying outside.

I tried a 9x5 3 blade but it was sluggish. I can understand wanting to use a 3 blade to have a shorter prop and a more scale appearance though. For me, the stock prop has plenty of power but it is pretty easy to wear down the tips of the prop if you point the nose down too much for whatever reason. Even with the motor off, you will probably be windmilling when you land so be careful with your props. I would suggest something not so rigid, so if something has to 'give', it will be your prop.

Good luck, and I hope you receive better advice on props than I could offer.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
also, how are you guys holding your batteries down in the fuse? Or does it just fit in so tight nothing is needed? I know my TH P-51 I used velcro straps on the ply strip. But this plane does not have that. Is any velcro needed on this model?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_poppa4904 View Post
also, how are you guys holding your batteries down in the fuse? Or does it just fit in so tight nothing is needed? I know my TH P-51 I used velcro straps on the ply strip. But this plane does not have that. Is any velcro needed on this model?
I actually use a dowel that keeps the battery from coming back. The dowel is mounted in the hatch and works well! No velcro.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 12:05 AM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
[QUOTE=big_poppa4904;23636139]Just got this bird for my Christmas gift. Now I have a few questions before I start putting it together.

What prop are you guys finding to work good with 3s 2200 lipos and the stock ESC/motor set-up?

Also looks like some of you are using a 3 blade prop, can this still be used since I plan to belly land? I have the TH P-51 with a regular 2 blade prop and I belly land it and its no big deal, but seems like the 3 blade would be hitting the ground. Or am I wrong here?

Which 3 blade prop is the best choice??[/QUOTEI.

I have been loving flying this Corsair with the gear on or off and the steerable tail wheel installed.Try a park zone T-28 2 blade prop,9.5 7.5..it works great.This pane handles wind fantastic.Plenty of power to cut through it.I hear the park zone 3 blade prop 97.5 from there older version Corsair works well and looks great.I have them but haven't tried yet.Having to much fun with current set up You are really going to enjoy flying this model.
LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Last edited by LindyFlya; Dec 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:00 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,519 Posts
I really like the GWS HD 9x7.5 prop on mine. Two blade - less amps than stock but better performance.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:33 AM
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
here is mine. Just got to balance it out. (if any is even needed, im using 2200) Only thing I done was paint the guns on the wings, and paint the wheels silver, although I doubt I will use the gear, I just wanted them for when we have local shows for our club with the public (display). I also glued a dowel like mentioned earlier to keep the battery from sliding back into the fuse. Maiden soon to come when this wind/rain goes away

Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:52 AM
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
Looks great. I had a little bit of a learning curve for take offs, but now this is one of my favorite planes.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
yea I plan to just hand launch and belly land. Looks better in the sky and should fly better/faster without. I just got to apply some box tape to the bottom to protect the foam
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
Yep, she flies pretty nicely with the T-28 prop, although the prop shaft is a bit small for it. It isn't a real hassle thought to get it to spin true. It is more difficult getting the 3 blade Parkzone prop centered though, but it can be done. I have done it once, and she flew great with the PZ 3 blader.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 01, 2013, 02:10 PM
Joined Nov 2010
1,666 Posts
what did you have to do to get it centered?

so the hole is too big right?
Old Jan 02, 2013, 12:40 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,995 Posts
Yes, the hole is just slightly too big. I basically just put the prop on, tighten it slightly just so I can move the prop hub around and manually center it, and then tighten the prop nut. I then spin it by hand to make sure there is no wobble. This hasn't failed me yet. I haven't been able to do this easily with the 3 blade PZ prop though.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jan 02, 2013, 01:27 PM
Joined May 2012
1,472 Posts
Maybe you could try a collet/prop adapter that has a bigger hub than the stock collet? - I think the shaft on the motor is 4mm and the stock prop hole is 13/64th of an inch (or whatever that is in mm). If the stock motor shaft is 4mm and the parkzone prop has a 1/4 hole, something like this might work:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXMWK7&P=7