HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,169 Posts
Maybe someone can help me with this. The elevator on my corsair doesn't seem to center at the same place every time I power it on. The transmitter settings haven't chaned. Would this be a servo, receiver or transmitter problem? The set screw that holds the pushrod on the servo is tight.

The last time I flew, I got it on the air and it wanted to go straight up. I trimmed as much down elevator as I could thinking that the battery shifted. When I got the plane down I saw that all the down trim had brought the elevator to only a neutural position. I adjusted the push rod and removed the trim setting. I powered the plane back on at home and the elevator was 'up' again.

Unrelated, I broke the stock prop last weekend. The only thing I had with me was a 9x7 apc. It flew great with it.
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
Likely a servo.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Dec 2005
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
The elevator on my corsair doesn't seem to center at the same place every time I power it on. The transmitter settings haven't chaned. Would this be a servo, receiver or transmitter problem? The set screw that holds the pushrod on the servo is tight.
Very strong chance your servo is faulty if it is not centering properly when the stick goes neutral.

You can remove the pushrod from the elevator horn and servo arm and make certain the pushrod flows freely in the white sleeve, just to be certain there is no binding there.

The absolute proof would be to simply remove the pushrod from the servo arm and see if the arm returns to neutral as the stick does. Flick the elevator stick a several times and see if the arm returns to neutral.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:41 AM
Joined May 2012
1,169 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I think the servos are glued in on the Corsair, but I'll swap it if the servo keeps misbehaving.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:30 PM
Joined Jul 2010
35 Posts
My Corsair was having problems with the elevator not centering, and on one of my first flights I almost lost it due to lack of control. Upon close inspection, the screw in the servo arm to pushrod connector was loose, and was slipping on the pushrod every time I raised or lowered the elevator. I would definitely check that out.
GI Jon is offline Find More Posts by GI Jon
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Jul 2012
7 Posts
Mine was delivered yesterday. I'm using 2200 batteries all the way forward and had to put 36 grams of weight in the cowl. I put a Parkzone Wildcat 9x6 prop on it, and with a fresh battery the intial amp draw at WOT was 34 amps, and after running it a while it was pulling 30 amps at WOT; i don't really trust this ESC for this kind of load, so I'm going to put a HURC 40 from Heads Up RC in it.

I maidened it today at lunch time, winds were 9-10 MPH with a few light gusts, not the best conditions for a first flight (and I'm fairly new at this), but I really wanted to go fly it. I hand launch and belly land in grass, so no wheels installed. Real good flier even with the wind, it got bounced around a little but not bad at all. Trim was great, straight and level at 50-60% throttle, only added 1 click of right aileron trim to it, nothing on the rudder or elevator at all. Plenty of speed with the PZ 9X6 prop, didn't go to WOT too much because of the ESC, but she will move out when you punch it.

Hand launching is a bit more intimidating than my Wildcat (which is hot-rodded up a bit, it practically flies out of my hand) but no wild rolling or yawing when you let it go. Even tho the trim was right on at 50-60% throttle it wants to climb when adding power up to WOT, so i mixed in 5% down elevator with up throttle, and that worked out just right.

I did 3 belly landings which were pretty much uneventful, had a pretty good headwind so needed to keep the speed up a bit. On the first landing i let it slow down a little too much and it got kinda mushy about 2 feet off the deck and come down quickly, no bad stall tendency, it just kinda plopped down (0 damage). The next 2 i kept the speed up and flew it to the ground with no problem.

I'm really impressed with this plane, good flier, good looking, good value, and it will be a good airplane to keep learning / progressing with.
Glideman73 is offline Find More Posts by Glideman73
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:40 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,493 Posts
Welcome to the club !

She's a great flyer, that's for sure. You'll have fun growing with the model; it has a wide and varied flight envelope that'll keep you entertained every time you put her in the air
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined May 2012
1,169 Posts
One thing about the Tower Hobby corsair that I don’t like – which I’m sure that none of us will ever have to face , is the price of the foam replacement parts.

Tower Hobbies: Wing $43, Fuselage $45, Cowl $15 (though you might have a coupon if your order is large enough or the occasional free shipping offer)

Durafly (cheap, but they are in Hong Kong and expensive to ship) Wing $21, Fuselage $31, Cowl $5 One might worry that these parts will be out of stock a year from now, but I give them credit in that they have most of the parts available right now.

For the Parkzone: Wing $36, Fuselage $36, Cowl $8

Yes, it is a small price difference, but I had hoped that Tower’s parts would have been a bit cheaper since the plane is overall much less expensive than the Parkzone model. The parkzone parts are relatively inexpensive compared to $199 for the whole plane) Presumably you could get the Parkzone parts at your LHS with no shipping (plus tax)

I would still by the Tower Hobby model, but my cowl is showing wear, and I’m bound to do something ‘clumsy’ as it gets windier and windier this Fall.

If anyone runs into this problelm Tower Hobbies doesn't sell replacement shafts for the SuperTigre motor (motor is out of stock as well), but I was able to use a 4mm one from a park 450 motor and made it work.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:31 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,493 Posts
Hmmm....

I guess I'll just have to stay steady on the sticks and not attempt any one point landings !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Dec 2005
5,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea3342 View Post
One thing about the Tower Hobby corsair that I don’t like – which I’m sure that none of us will ever have to face , is the price of the foam replacement parts.

Tower Hobbies: Wing $43, Fuselage $45, Cowl $15 (though you might have a coupon if your order is large enough or the occasional free shipping offer)

Durafly (cheap, but they are in Hong Kong and expensive to ship) Wing $21, Fuselage $31, Cowl $5 One might worry that these parts will be out of stock a year from now, but I give them credit in that they have most of the parts available right now.

For the Parkzone: Wing $36, Fuselage $36, Cowl $8
Yep, the price of replacement parts really cheeses me as well. I once owned a Eflite P-40. Needed to replace the wing, Horizon wanted something like $70 dollars!!! The wing was nothing more than the equivalent of fan-fold foam with attachments. At best, $4.00 worth of material and labor.

I stripped all good parts from the plane and trashed the P-40. I really am loathed to buy a full plane just to keep one plane flying. I am pretty sure these companies price the replacement wings just to force you to buy an entire plane.

These American companies have not yet figured out that if they keep the replacement parts cost low, people will keep buying the parts and flying the planes, which in turn keeps the product line alive. When the parts are too high, people start buying less expensive Chinese brands.
Obake is offline Find More Posts by Obake
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
They want you to buy a new plane rather than fix the old one!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined May 2012
1,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
They want you to buy a new plane rather than fix the old one!
That's just it - sure, a replacement plane may be the best deal. Today you need a wing, next year maybe a fusalage from the same kit (maybe sooner if I keep practicing inverted). But if we go shopping for a new plane, we may buy the same one from the same company for parts, or we may take a look around and choose a different plane from a different vendor to fill that hole in our hanger with something new. If the parts were reasonable, there is a great chance we'll just buy the parts from the same vendor and they'll have more business from us like Obake was saying.

I wish my field transmitter had a big red reset button like my simulator
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:53 AM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
I've bought 3 Tower p-51's and still have 2 flying..I salvaged parts from #1 to repair #2 and spent money on a cowl 3 or4 bucks and also $10.95 on Corsair LG for the P-51(lands much better ,now) ...If I averaged all the flights vs.cost it has to be under $10 a flight by now and every time I takeoff and get another flight in, the overall cost drops some more..I'll probably buy one or two more of the Corsair, at least one to repaint just for grins I do spend more on batteries at this point ...
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Last edited by planesilver; Oct 28, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:56 AM
AKA RTF
United States, NY, New York
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Just added my park zone corsair tail wheel assembly. Took less than a hour.Small circular hole to fit control arm thru, four small wood blocks recessed into four corners of foam.5 min epoxy to hold them in.Screwed down the mount with the screws supplied,Quick connector on servo.Bing bam boom..done.A little duck egg blue paint,close enough. Works great.Can't wait to try it out.
LindyFlya is offline Find More Posts by LindyFlya
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:44 AM
Build, Fly, Crash, repeat
United States, NC, Shelby
Joined Nov 2010
1,488 Posts
Hey guys, got a couple questions about this bird. Im thinking about getting one. I have the TH Mustang and still love to fly it so I can only assume this is a good plane also.

What battery are most of you using?
What prop has a good balance of power/speed/flight time?

I have a few 3s 2200's laying around, how do these fit? Any modifications need to be done?

One last thing, how does it do with the LG on short grass? I know the TH P-51 was not worth a HOOT on grass, so I just belly land it.

Thanks in advance guys!
big_poppa4904 is online now Find More Posts by big_poppa4904