HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksolo69 View Post
I am flying mine with 60% aileron and elevator. I cannot get mine to "float" down at all. The CG is spot on using a Parkzone 1800 mah battery and 1oz of lead in the cowl....
When I mentioned 'float', I meant that it flies and turns well at low speed and doesn't have a tendancy to stall. I have my share of landing mishaps, but for me, the most destructive ones are when I slow down too much trying to get a gentile landing and then end up stalling. The moderately fast landings sometimes cause damage, but usually less then stalls. (usually no damage with tail draggers)

For 'floating in' (this is probably bad terminology on my part), I turn off the motor and make a final turn to line up with the runway and to spill of some speed. I leave the motor off unless there is a head-wind. Even with a 2200, mine doesn't really want to come down so I usually need some down elevevator as well. If I let it come in at its natrual glide plane (and miss the runway), it does float down eventually and land softly (and nose over in the grass!)
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
Oh ok. I guess, the main issue is that I hve not tried to land this plane on the "dead stick" yet. I usually try to land her with about 1/4 throttle like I do my FZ Focke-Wulf FW 190. I can land my PZ T-8 Trojan "dead stick" though. I have since added a little bit of expo to the right stick on my DX6i so I can see if that helps to line up the plane a little better. Thanks for the clarification. When I think "float down" I think of the way my Ares Gamma 370 lands "dead stick" and literally floats like a feather down to the runway while landing against the wind; the same with my HZ Firebird Stratos and Super Cub.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 09, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Quote:
Oh ok. I guess, the main issue is that I hve not tried to land this plane on the "dead stick" yet. I usually try to land her with about 1/4 throttle like I do my FZ Focke-Wulf FW 190. I can land my PZ T-8 Trojan "dead stick" though. I have since added a little bit of expo to the right stick on my DX6i so I can see if that helps to line up the plane a little better. Thanks for the clarification. When I think "float down" I think of the way my Ares Gamma 370 lands "dead stick" and literally floats like a feather down to the runway while landing against the wind; the same with my HZ Firebird Stratos and Super Cub.
It sounds like your 190 technique is spot on, just that the corsair may need flaps to land in this way. I have a mini stick that floats in when landing it into the wind. It almost 'hovers' above the runway. I think this is a nice definition of floating. I haven't tried to fly the corsair in much wind yet. It is pretty light, so I am a little nervous about it.
Last edited by stevea3342; Oct 09, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:43 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,963 Posts
Exactly, the Gamma 370 looks like it almost hovers too. Unfortunately, the TH Corsair has no flaps.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Oct 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,920 Posts
This model doesn't need any flaps IMO....it already slows to a snail's pace when on final

Steve, mine will do the same thing...it wants to stay airborne, even with a 2200 in it. I overshot the runway three times I a row the first time I tried landing mine . Took awhile to get the hang of bringing her in because it floated so well. I mentioned it in my "mini-review" of the model in my blog.

As a warbird I don't expect it to float like a Super Cub, but it is very floaty; I think I'd compare it to a PZ Trojan...which it isn't much different in regards to landing speed !

Cheers all and happy flying !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Oct 09, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 07:56 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,502 Posts
Quote:
Exactly, the Gamma 370 looks like it almost hovers too. Unfortunately, the TH Corsair has no flaps.
Why on earth would you want the weight and complexity of flaps - it almost lands backwards in a breeze.

???
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
[QUOTE=Justwingit;22956688]Steve, mine will do the same thing...it wants to stay airborne, even with a 2200 in it. I overshot the runway three times I a row the first time I tried landing mine . Took awhile to get the hang of bringing her in because it floated so well. I mentioned it in my "mini-review" of the model in my blog.
QUOTE]

I just read your mini review Ė It looks like you had a blast. I donít mind losing a bit of scale appearance to have a nice flying plane that is easy to transport (and repair). I still like the looks of the TH corsair. We don't have a lot of warbirds at our field and I'm tired of looking at white foamies and brightly colored "Edge and Yak type" planes (including my own ). I needed the same aileron and rudder corrections as you. It's simple and flies well. With all the extra channels left over, I am going to see if I can get a machine gun sound affect board in it and suprise some glider pilots. Have you tried flying the corsair in any wind yet?
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:57 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,920 Posts
I have in fact flown mine in probably 5-7mph winds and it penetrates very nicely and slows waaaaay down on final. The pictures hillbille took of it down at the dry lakebed were in winds of similar speed....Practically hovers in

But, being a warbird, I don't recommend flying it that slowly until you are familiar with how the model handles..I'd still carry a little speed until you're comfortable with it and know it's flight envelope, which is quite varied, to say the least

When brought up to full throttle, this thing flat-out moves !
Justwingit is online now Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:56 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
I finally had a chance to fly mine yesterday, winds gusty 10 to 20 mph, not the greatest conditions but the best we've had in the last couple of weeks, now 20-30 mph today and very windy for the next several days!

It flew very nicely, handled the wind pretty well, plenty of power, roll rate could be better, I might see if I can increase the aileron travel just a bit.

One thing I learned, you need to keep it fairly close in, its easy to lose orientation on it, particularly against a clear sky, I lost orientation at least 2-3 times. I usually like my planes in bright colors, navy blue against a blue sky isn't the best for visibility!
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
I covered the wing tips with day-glo orange after a cloudy gray day adventure in the air... no problem now...
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined May 2012
1,388 Posts
Good idea on adding that color. This plane seems to disappear against a blue sky. Probably why they choose that color scheme for the real thing! I'm planning to add a few strips of black on the bottom, but orange is better to see
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:46 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Dec 2010
333 Posts
This sure helps
planesilver is offline Find More Posts by planesilver
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:28 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
For those that have a yen and talent for repainting, there where numerous paint schemes for the F4U. Plate 5 shows two attractive Brit schemes that make for better visibility.

http://www.markstyling.com/F4U.htm

As I have owned several F4U over the years, I am quite aware of how they hide in the sky and in a tree line. I will eventually strip the blue from my bird and repaint it as a racer.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:37 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
I'm thinking about some orange on the wings, it really needs something!!!!

Very surprised to see the Corsairs in desert colors, looks like they are ready for Iraq or Afghanistan! They probably flew over North Africa.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:48 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,560 Posts
Orange would work. One of the earlier Navy F4U trainers, was aluminum/silver in color with the wing tops being yellow. This was done to make a ditched plane easy to spot in the ocean. The early Navy planes also had air bags in the wings so they would float. I believe the air bags were only used on trainers, not sure about that one though.

The British Royal Navy had a couple of darker schemes, one was even more camo than in page/plate 5 from my above post. New Zealand has some darker colors also.

A couple of the American planes used a full yellow cowling, I don't recall if the wing tips were yellow or not. All in all though, regardless of what country flew the plane, the primary color was a blue of some sort which makes the plane near invisible in the sky. The design of the F4U and its color makes it one of the more difficult RC planes to keep a visual on and demands constant attention to aircraft orientation. I generally fly the blue F4U closer in and ones that have racing schemes on them I will fly farther out.

As for the white paint in front of the cowling. As I recall, on the real F4U that was an adhesive type of tape that was laid down to keep leaking oil from the engine area from blowing onto the windscreen. The top two or three cowl vents were also kept closed to keep oil off the windscreen.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member