HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:51 AM
Registered User
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
"Too much to bother with"?
This is supposed to be about fun, and getting more people interested in this aspect of soaring. I just don't understand the negativity.......
Mark taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mark taylor
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
Registered User
jtlsf5's Avatar
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark taylor View Post
"Too much to bother with"?
This is supposed to be about fun, and getting more people interested in this aspect of soaring. I just don't understand the negativity.......
Mark, don't sweat it. Dave is an F flyer and probably more comfortable standing on the spot.

There will always be those that just don't get that different flying and landing tasks can improve skills and keep soaring competition from becoming too routine and boring.

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:18 PM
Sink Stinks
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
This is all relative to a sanctioned event with the rules/restrictions that that involves. I believe the Friday ALES event is an afterthought and unsanctioned, so the CD is free to do whatever he chooses, including changes up to the last minute.

JT
I thought the post was in answer to David's question about standing close to the spot, not the ALES contest. Regardless, the rule cited makes no mention of a "safety line". It talks about the "landing area" which to me means inside the are where points are possible.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:04 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined May 2007
52 Posts
Landing area will be defined by a white line that makes a rectangle. Circles will be painted inside the rectangle. We will have 12 targets, if we allowed pilots to stand anywhere around the circle it would create a danger for all involved. Inside the rectangle will be the only way to get flight points, the circles will be bonus points.
galenreed is offline Find More Posts by galenreed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:44 PM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Galen,
I went to a CVRC club contest earlier in the year and was allowed to stand any where I wanted. Why is the Fall Fest held to a higher standard???? LJ
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:06 PM
Registered User
USA, CA, Visalia
Joined May 2007
52 Posts
Which contest was that?
galenreed is offline Find More Posts by galenreed
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:34 PM
Registered User
claude60's Avatar
United States, CA, Visalia
Joined Oct 2004
196 Posts
The Fall Fest will have a safety line that you will have to stand behind just as it was last year. You will have to land inside the landing area to get your flight time. If any part of the plane comes to rest across the safety line you will get a zero flight for that round. If you hit anyone with your plane you get a zero. The landing points that are available are 5, 10, and 25 points. Remember that this is a TD contest and not a F3J contest. Larry the monthly contests are different than the Fall Fest. Hope to see everyone in October. Claude Turner Fall Fest CD
claude60 is offline Find More Posts by claude60
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:47 PM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Claude and Galen,
My question was clearly in response to Galen stating alowing people to stand where they want ,would create a danger for all involved... I was wondering if you would care to elaborateon that comment, as I feel it is much more dangerous to have ill trained pilots blasting through the landing zone. It is my thought that this practice actually penalizes the top pilots without addressing the real problem. It would be far better, if people who blast through the landing zone and hit anyone are disqualified. I just think it is time to encourage better skills by all than to bring the entire contest down to accommadate the lowest common demonstration of skills.
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:09 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
Oh crap.......... Our little Friday ALES happy, fun contest has turned into a royal pissing contest. LJ, knock it off. I apologize that we are not world class soaring pilots like you, but, we are trying to do our best.
I repeat, over..... this was supposed to be all about fun and generating interest in another aspect of soaring. The FUN METER is no longer pegged.
Over and out.

Mark Taylor
Team Horizon, BVM Jets, AMT Netherlands Turbines
Mark taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mark taylor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2006
106 Posts
I think any good pilot can out land any average flyer no matter where he stands, so what's the big deal? I think a large contest like the Fall Fest is for the 95% of the flyers who enjoy flying and competing, and know they can't win, but tries to do better than the year before. He also enjoys the event and the people that have the same interst that he has.
It sounds like the Fall Fest should have a one flight(2 minutes) contest for the "experts".The landing spot is between the feet. Closest to the spot wins.
I will put five bucks in the pot to start. We'll see who is the best "expert" lander.
gary1201 is offline Find More Posts by gary1201
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:27 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly View Post
Claude and Galen,
My question was clearly in response to Galen stating alowing people to stand where they want ,would create a danger for all involved... I was wondering if you would care to elaborateon that comment, as I feel it is much more dangerous to have ill trained pilots blasting through the landing zone. It is my thought that this practice actually penalizes the top pilots without addressing the real problem. It would be far better, if people who blast through the landing zone and hit anyone are disqualified. I just think it is time to encourage better skills by all than to bring the entire contest down to accommadate the lowest common demonstration of skills.
i dont want to get caught openly agreeing to what LJ says without even an argument....but he is bang on here...

my comment about "too much to bother with" revolves around taking a competition seriously (yes even td), driving 16 hours and having the whole deal eroded because of a strange lz distance...if it was a two hour drive id complain less but in order to attend this i have to sacrifice work days...so the option of risking a dq to stand where you like seems like a fair compromise.
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 09:40 PM
Registered User
Larry Jolly's Avatar
Joined Oct 2003
1,896 Posts
Mark,
My remarks have nothing to do with the ALES competition.....
I am talking about the main Contest....
Get them panties unbunched.......
and turn the afterburner off......
Claude was innovative and responded to the call for longer flights.
It would be nice if some common landing tape, spot, crash site could be chosen.... I hate Las Vegas landings... LJ
Webbman in the future lets collaberate off-line to get the good cop bad cop thing going.......
Larry Jolly is offline Find More Posts by Larry Jolly
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:20 PM
Registered User
jtlsf5's Avatar
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webbsolution View Post
i dont want to get caught openly agreeing to what LJ says without even an argument....but he is bang on here...

my comment about "too much to bother with" revolves around taking a competition seriously (yes even td), driving 16 hours and having the whole deal eroded because of a strange lz distance...if it was a two hour drive id complain less but in order to attend this i have to sacrifice work days...so the option of risking a dq to stand where you like seems like a fair compromise.
Dave,
I think you have the cart before the horse here. The landing task requiring pilots/timers to remain outside the landing zone was around long before that pesky F stuff started happening. So which is really the "strange distance", a landing format that maybe 100-200 people in the F world use, or the old standard that has been and continues to be used by the unwashed hoi polloi that make up 90+% of the soaring competition pilots (at least here in this little corner of the world)?

JT
jtlsf5 is online now Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2009
26 Posts
LJ, If it has nothing to do with the Friday ALES contest, then say so up front. The last 2 pages have been about that, and nothing else. I don't measure my personal self worth by how many toy airplane contests I win. I participate for the personal interaction with like minded people, and simply enjoy the fellowship.
My panties got bunched up because you can be a real richard cranium sometimes, so don't tell me how I should feel.
My sole objective has always been to promote the sport to the best of my abilities, for everyone concerned. If I have failed to do that, call Pete and tell him to fire me. He listens to you.
Mark taylor is offline Find More Posts by Mark taylor
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2012, 10:41 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
webbsolution's Avatar
Joined Jul 2007
3,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlsf5 View Post
Dave,
I think you have the cart before the horse here. The landing task requiring pilots/timers to remain outside the landing zone was around long before that pesky F stuff started happening. So which is really the "strange distance", a landing format that maybe 100-200 people in the F world use, or the old standard that has been and continues to be used by the unwashed hoi polloi that make up 90+% of the soaring competition pilots (at least here in this little corner of the world)?

JT
im not validating the task based on tradition JT....

. im calling it out because as it has been pointed out, making everyone stand 15 feet from the spot because a few pilots cant land makes no sense....leave the fence up for those pilots....let the rest of us stand where we want. if someone hits me standing a meter from MY spot then they should gey a dq....if i hit myself i get a dq. thats fair....if you want to cater to really new pilots or really bad pilots and keep it fun how about a novice landing area set to one side...and 3 or 4 expert lanes without fences...everyone is happy....
webbsolution is offline Find More Posts by webbsolution
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion CVRC Fall Soaring Festival mrfski Sailplane Events 4 Aug 01, 2012 04:45 AM
CVRC Fall Soaring Festival Fixit Electric Flight Events 0 Jul 10, 2002 08:06 PM