HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2003, 04:04 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,878 Posts
DIY super cheap micro prop saver

Drill a 1mm hole in a piece of wood. Insert a piece of 1mm piano wire. Put a small washer on the wire and a loop of copper wire. Solder wire and washer together making sure it is flat against the base. Music wire does not solder well so it should be easy to remove after soldering.

Fix the prop saver to the motor shaft with a tiny drop of cyano. Only 1-2mm of the shaft should protrude above the prop saver. Mount prop and hold in place with elastic band.

Simple and VERY cheap. Works fine with a U-80 prop.

Michael
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:02 PM
Lake Mary (Orlando), Florida
Joined Nov 2007
37 Posts
A prop saver is definitely needed for the Parkzone ultra micros. It is too easy to break a motor shaft. All of the PZs seem to use the same 1mm shaft diameter, but the shaft end and prop are threaded. These props would not slip off in a crash. The threaded end of the shaft could be removed, but this makes the shaft too short. However, the prop threads could be stripped allowing the prop to slip on the shaft..

I wish the author had specified his washer size. I don't know if there is a suitable 1mm ID washer available of suitable OD. If not, the next largest available one would be used and care would be necessary to center the washer on the shaft; otherwise imbalance could cause vibration when running at high speed. An alternative is to find a small aluminum disk and drill a well-centered 1mm hole in it.

Note that the 1mm hole in the wood must be perpendicular to the wood face to avoid prop wobble. This is not easy to achieve without a 1mm drill guide or drill press.
dicka is offline Find More Posts by dicka
Old Jan 16, 2011, 08:10 PM
Stuck on a rock
Faroe Islands, Sandoy, Sandur
Joined Nov 2000
5,878 Posts
Wow, talk about reviving an old thread! IMNSHO the PZ gearboxes are a poor design. Weak shafts and way too much overhang.

I can't remember the size of the washer - it just came out of the parts bin.

Making a prop adapter for the PZ models would be easy. Just leave the end of the shaft protruding a bit to center the prop. Look for the post I made about making prop adapters with Polymorph.
epilot is offline Find More Posts by epilot