HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:37 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
It is working great for me. I use Plasti-Kote #228 Grey Primer, 500*F resistant. It is not as hard as the epoxy so it's important to go easy on the first layer of windings on a full coated stator. And this is a new can. I found out this stuff uses titanium dioxide, didn't see aluminum oxide listed. My last can used it. I would suppose about any metal oxide will conduct heat better than epoxy or plastic.
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:24 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,683 Posts
Yeah, but that titanium is a lot heavier than the aluminum! I can't believe you're getting away with increasing the wing loading like that...

So much good stuff being shared here. It almost time for me to salvage a couple of stators that got pushed to the back dead motor pile.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:41 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Epoxy might cause hot spots under it or prevent winding heat from sinking into the stator. Bad in my book. Thermal conductivity is extremely low, mainly absorptive. The titanium is not as good as al but still much better than plain enamel. I'm going to be sure my next can has aluminum oxide.
You would think any respectable engine enamel and primer would not hold heat in the engine, but transfer it out. Oh well, at least I figured out what I have.

Just for fun, and for those who don't know math can look at the relative properties:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...conductivities
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:10 AM
Suspended Account
United States, FL, Pompano Beach
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
On my way to the auto parts store...with my reading spectacles
zeroback is offline Find More Posts by zeroback
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:21 AM
Mach .09 Super Achiever
Joined Sep 2006
8,412 Posts
Look up the product and it's MSDS sheet on the web first and save the trouble.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:03 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Nice!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 07:52 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
After reviewing this thread I see it needs updating. As soon as I'm back online at home I'll do a start to finish post on this process with pictures. In the learning process I tried allot of unnecessary steps, but here it is in a nutshell. KISS comes in handy here.
1) Clean the stator of loose coating and oil.
2) Lay out some foil to catch excess powder and pile on some coating. I use my finger tips and a little shovel I made. The pile can be shoved and flattened with a small screw driver or something, if needed. If you don't like it dump it off and start over.
3) Cook in a convection oven at recommended temp for about 20 Min. I have not tried a regular oven but wouldn't be surprised that it would work fine.
4) Clean up, if needed, is easy with an Exact knife, needle file, sand paper. rotary tool with diamond dust burr, you get the idea, just avoid removing metal.
5) Repeat on other side. The coating does not soften when once cooked.
6) If you don't like the results remove the blemish and re-coat and recook.
This has proven to work very well and holds up to over heat as well.
Last edited by zeroback; Apr 12, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:40 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,683 Posts
That is a wonderful summary of how to do it, zero. This is your thread so you can edit post #1, I suggest you put a link in post#1 to the above post as being the one post that best summarizes the best method to do this.

This is a thread that will get frequent mention here, almost every time a newbie drop is I think.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Apr 21, 2013, 12:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
See post 1
Old Apr 30, 2013, 10:22 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Something to look at, at the end.
Or is it?
Last edited by zeroback; May 01, 2013 at 05:54 AM.