SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:57 PM
Michigan
Joined Nov 2006
2,712 Posts
Discussion
Good Hobby King Lipo Charger?

Hey guys, I'm sorry if this has been asked a thousand times, but I'm looking for a new lipo charger. I've been using an excellent Hobbico Accu-Cycle Elite with the Hobbico power supply, but it only charges up to 3-cell lipos. I like that I can use it for NiMh and NiCad too, but I honestly seldom use them any more. The Hobbico Accu-Cycle is a great programmable charger, but just doesn't put out enough to charge 2 3-cell 2200 packs quickly.... and won't be much help if I go bigger.

I would like something that charges at least 4-cell and it would be nice to have 6-cell capability for future projects. I also like multiple charging ports, but I'm not sure I need 4 (more is always better, but 2 are probably enough for me).
I mostly use 2200 3-cells and smaller, and I find myself hesitating to get into more power-hungry planes because I don't have the means to charge them. With so many inexpensive chargers on the market, I'm lost. I'm looking at Hobby King because of cost primarily, and the fact that I can add it to a future order to save shipping cost. Thanks for the help.
skunkworks2006 is offline Find More Posts by skunkworks2006
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Hobby King is pretty cheap place to buy RC stuff but you need to understand that their warranty policy is not that good.
Some items you are better off throwing them in the trash than trying to get warranty.
Some of the products are junk.

As for a charger, most multi-port chargers are fairly low output.
Many guys today are buying higher output chargers and parallel charging like packs.
Then switching to a different sized pack and fast charging them.

Any charger on this page or even from this retailer is backed up with excellent customer service and warranty.
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=17_1
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:54 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,167 Posts
SW
I've been using the Quattro 4x6s charger for about a year now and love it.
Can charge 4 packs of different chemistry and size at the same time.
Limitation is it is limited to 50W/charge channel or 4A for a 3s pack, or 2A for a 6s pack.

Check the HK product review of the item you may be interested in to see if has been a problem item.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:56 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,167 Posts
dupe
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:08 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
If 4 ports is too much how about 2 ports:
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=184

It's the name brand version of this:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...r_400w_V2.html

For not that much more. Really once you move above an Accucel6 the "savings" you get from a HobbyKing charger vs a different one diminishes quickly.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Aug 01, 2012, 06:26 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,181 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...er_w_acc_.html
I've had two of these in use for more than a yr. now with no problems.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2