HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
DX5e fatal flaw- PM me!!!!
United States, NY, Cortland
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Discussion
Pre-maiden jitters, Fokker D-VII

If the wind is low tomorrow AM I should get a chance to maiden my Fokker D-VII, needed lotsa little fixes, including repairing my DX5 (bypassing the crappy power switch with a good switch).

Not my first maiden or first re-maiden by any means, but that first flight of a plane always has a bit of build-up, doesn't it?

If I didn't screw anything up, only the landing should be the hard part, heh.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1666647

CNY_Dave is offline Find More Posts by CNY_Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:18 PM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
United States, WA, University Place
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
oh man thats a beauty i would be so scared to fly that. Good luck
resonatortune is offline Find More Posts by resonatortune
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:26 PM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,371 Posts
Gorgeous Dave! I'll think you'll fly it (and land it) like an ace. Gor for it and report back
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
Redacted per NSA "suggestion"
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Feb 2012
5,410 Posts
I like it. Looks like it'll be a fun one to fly.

Anyone else notice it says "lol" on the side? I know it's LO!, still pretty close.
dedStik is offline Find More Posts by dedStik
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Confessions of a smoker...
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Hey Dave, That is one sweet airplane. I hear you about those jitters, I seem to get them at every flight lately. I loved a SE5a I used to have but noticed that without rudder in the turns that the tail wanted to drop and lag behind. My fix for that was a rudder aileron mix in my radio...R. aileron, R. rudder, along with a smudge of U. elevator. I sure would like to get ahold of that model. You beat me because I hardly ever maiden my own plane, I get one of the club vets to get her up and trimmed, then hand me my radio to finish up.. Happy flying buddy, Dave/Zee
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Jul 31, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Fortunately it's just a circa-2000 global hobby arf, and is a little more beat-up than it looks in the pics, so not *too* much pressure... I did sweat the repairs a bit more than for my old trainer because it is a nice one.

Best part is, I can say "Look at that Fokker!"
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:04 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cny_dave View Post
best part is, i can say "look at that fokker!"
lol
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Looking at a more scale model pic, looks like the bottom wing on this is a bit oversized (which should help it float), and the ailerons on the real one I think were on the top wing, and incorporated the 'tabs' that stick out to the side (much as the rudder has a part ahead of the hinge, the ailerons did too). The smaller ailerons hopefully give enough authority, I may have to adjust the throw if it rolls too slow.

If it survives the first flight, that is, wish I had my big empty parking lot but a company moved in, my alternate spot is a business park with no businesses. A few roadside obstacles, but new pavement and no carsand enough roads I should be able to find a spot aligned with the wind.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:18 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,717 Posts
I have one just like it. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:58 PM
ค๔๔เςtє๔ t๏ R/C
United States, WA, University Place
Joined Jul 2012
221 Posts
^lmao
resonatortune is offline Find More Posts by resonatortune
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
That ain't right Larry... I know the feelin........ZEE
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:16 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
Only flaw during the maiden flights was the tail gear I rigged isn't quite right. Built one from scratch so I could attach it to the existing tail-dragger post, and it is waaaay too prone to ground-looping. Anything over a fast taxi and it's swapping-ends.

During my 3 takeoffs I was able to get around this by applying down-elevator and nailing the throttle, flying the tail almost instantly. It veered left pretty hard on takeoff all 3 times, I'll need more practice at my wider space before I tackle my narrower one.

I incurred some minor damage on my 3rd landing, had a bit of a hard landing from coming in a touch too slow and then goosing the throttle to slow the descent, it veered a bit, landed hard, and cartwheeled a bit. Pretty tough bird, the wing ends hit pretty hard and it bounced off the spinner, but I think the only real damage is the tail-dragger post and my homemade tail-wheeled popped neatly off. Now I can put on the purchased one much more easily, I don't have to figure out how to remove the dragger post!

I did bump the rudder putting it in the car, and 2 out of the 3 plastic hinges popped out of the Vstab- better that happens on the ground than in the air!

One of the wire wing struts popped out of it's clamp, I may have to re-engineer the clamps if that is a recurrent problem.

It flew well, climbed and flew better than scale on my 4S battery with a 13x8, the roll rate is indeed a bit slow, tried a roll with the rudder and I have no idea what happened, it rolled halfway smoothly then it snapped at least another full roll, and somehow reversed direction in a heartbeat. Wasn't a fluke, tried it again and same thing.

Tried a hammerhead and there was a fat load of coupling, not sure if it was roll or pitch.

It looped fine, of course, again with a bunch of coupling (roll), but not sure if it's the elevator deflection being a bit cocked or if it's just the prop wash on the tail.

The first two landings were a bit bouncy but not really rough, I just tried to come in a little too slow the last time and it didn't react well to my feeding in more power.

I think it needs a bit more right-thrust on the motor, and a bit more down-thrust, but since it's short and powerful it's obviously always going to flail about a bit due to the prop-wash hitting the tail.

It is obvious I need to get a set of beater wheels for this for pavement flying, the pavement will chew up the soft rubber tires fairly quickly otherwise.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:43 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
Congrats on the maiden Very nice plane. I had the same feelings with my first biplane and it sat for months before I took it up and it turned out to be such a pleasure to fly. I recently changed my wheels out for Williams Brothers and can tell you it has made a HUGE difference in ground handling. The soft stock wheels would bite in the pavement and a make for a difficult landing and almost always a nose over.

Harry

Those are some cool looking wheels though..
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,839 Posts
That's why I want to protect 'em, keep 'em for grass and special occasions.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
When you really want to be a RC pilot get yourself a bi-plane, thats when you learn what "flying" a plane is all about, no more shortcuts........Been there, done that... and still shaking .....good job, .Dave, Zee/Dave9