to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2013, 08:28 AM
Fly Freely, Fly Responsibly
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
Just use the Gear Switch as the stock firmware only allows On/Off.

Also if the TX has Gear endpoints set to high or low, the Stabilizer will not turn off, set them to 0 & 100 as advised in the previous post. I had this problem, see post 1044.

Make sure everything is setup correctly (control surface direction) before connecting the RX3S. If after connecting the RX3S you need to set any reverse switches to apply the stabilization in the correct direction you also will have to reverse those same channels in the transmitter to get everything back to normal.

John
Perfect! Thanks, JohnRB! I read the bulk of this thread while waiting for my ORX3 V2 from HK - I had plenty of time!

Installed it in my PZ Icon A5 last night. Unit is ON all the time. Mapped to GEAR channel. AUX/GYRO switch (all switches, actually) are in NORM position. Flipping the gear switch does nothing. I had set my TRAVEL on the GEAR channel on my DX6i to -50 and +50. Should be 0 and 100, right?

Also, the pots on all axis on the ORX are all at 12 o'clock position. As soon as I get these other things changed/sorted, is this a good starting point as to 'gain?' I didn't have a jeweler's screwdriver, or one small enough to turn 'em last night.

Thanks guys! Awesome thread!
WhirlyBits is offline Find More Posts by WhirlyBits
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:23 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhirlyBits View Post
Perfect! Thanks, JohnRB! I read the bulk of this thread while waiting for my ORX3 V2 from HK - I had plenty of time!

Installed it in my PZ Icon A5 last night. Unit is ON all the time. Mapped to GEAR channel. AUX/GYRO switch (all switches, actually) are in NORM position. Flipping the gear switch does nothing. I had set my TRAVEL on the GEAR channel on my DX6i to -50 and +50. Should be 0 and 100, right?

Also, the pots on all axis on the ORX are all at 12 o'clock position. As soon as I get these other things changed/sorted, is this a good starting point as to 'gain?' I didn't have a jeweler's screwdriver, or one small enough to turn 'em last night.

Thanks guys! Awesome thread!
Yes, the wait - it takes me about 3 weeks to get stuff from the HK International store.

My DX6i travel is set at normal (up arrow) 100% with 0 Sub Trim.

Selecting Monitor under Setup shows travel to be from the first left minor division mark to the last right minor division mark.

I can't help you with gain settings. I have modified firmware (noobee's Open Flight Stabilizer) in mine.

John
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Feb 20, 2013, 12:13 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
12 o'clock will probrbly do VERY little to nothing...but a great place to start
1 O'clock now you will begin to notice it..and at fast speeds the tail will not wiggle too much
2~2:30 position- this is where I have mine...nice and responsive...but high speed it oscillates ALOT...So, fast = gyro off

3 O'clock- too much for my taste...unnecessary IMHO

Pat

** This is mounted in my FunCub your plane may vary ** Version 2
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 20, 2013, 04:29 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
As weed89 says, 2.00 - 2.30 with your gain and be very careful above that setting as it can get over sensitive very quickly above that setting. Adjustment becomes very critical any higher than that.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 20, 2013, 05:32 PM
El Paso
Joined Jan 2011
233 Posts
Have a Version 1 installed in a Syncro glider and a Version 2 in a Syncro sport.

These things are a compromise. Can't use duel aileron channels, so you can't program left and right ailerons seperately or differential in the transmitter. Can't implement Flaperons.

They are worthwhile in the glider which gets buffeted due to low wing loading. The sport has a lot less wing on the same fuse and is much faster. It doesn't need extra stabibility, just a younger pilot.
oldsamer is offline Find More Posts by oldsamer
Old Feb 20, 2013, 09:28 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Woo hoo! Got it working!

It took some doing. I'm getting "slow" at just a shade past the double-nickle, in age.

By process of elimination, I determined that all switches need to be forward, except the last 2 - having to do with delta/v-tail, etc.

Then, I had to reverse my controls on the Tx, so that they moved correctly when I moved the sticks. Then, I needed to check that the gyro corrections were moving all surfaces in the right direction, for the excursions about all 3 axis.

Lastly, I needed to check whether the gear switch - when down - caused no activity. When up, gyro is active.
And when inactive, do the surfaces still move in response to the sticks in the right direction?

Success!

What really lengthened my path, is that I assumed the bright orange LED would go "off" when the gyro is inactive. Not so!

Now, since I'm using Mix1 and mixing GEAR > GEAR and SW is GEAR - I can use a percentage (currently 100%). Does this mean that the gain at the pots on each axis (currently around 1:30-2 at best guess), can be proportionally scaled down at the TX? Such as lowering 100% down to 70%, e.g.?

Without digesting everything in the entirety of this thread - and especially the 'bread crumbs along the path' you guys tossed within the last day, I couldn't have done it quite so rapidly - or maybe at all! Kudos, and thanks!!!
Old Feb 21, 2013, 03:14 AM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,401 Posts
Quote:
Woo hoo! Got it working!

It took some doing. I'm getting "slow" at just a shade past the double-nickle, in age.

By process of elimination, I determined that all switches need to be forward, except the last 2 - having to do with delta/v-tail, etc.

Then, I had to reverse my controls on the Tx, so that they moved correctly when I moved the sticks. Then, I needed to check that the gyro corrections were moving all surfaces in the right direction, for the excursions about all 3 axis.

Lastly, I needed to check whether the gear switch - when down - caused no activity. When up, gyro is active.
And when inactive, do the surfaces still move in response to the sticks in the right direction?

Success!

What really lengthened my path, is that I assumed the bright orange LED would go "off" when the gyro is inactive. Not so!

Now, since I'm using Mix1 and mixing GEAR > GEAR and SW is GEAR - I can use a percentage (currently 100%). Does this mean that the gain at the pots on each axis (currently around 1:30-2 at best guess), can be proportionally scaled down at the TX? Such as lowering 100% down to 70%, e.g.?

Without digesting everything in the entirety of this thread - and especially the 'bread crumbs along the path' you guys tossed within the last day, I couldn't have done it quite so rapidly - or maybe at all! Kudos, and thanks!!!
NO, Your gain is preset by you with the pots. It is either off or on. There is no TX adjustment for gain.
A more expensive Gyro, eg the EagleTree Guardian does give you the option of TX adjustment.
Grantham Kid is online now Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:26 AM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
I figured that might be the case, as I've never seen mentioned that it worked any other way.

Next project up, is fitting the Hobbypartz 3-axis gyro (the one that's just a little circuit board with pots - and comes with 4 M-M servo cables) into my PZ Stinson SR-10.

I don't think anyone's even reviewed that item yet...

Old Feb 21, 2013, 12:43 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
754 Posts
Quote:
I figured that might be the case, as I've never seen mentioned that it worked any other way.

Next project up, is fitting the Hobbypartz 3-axis gyro (the one that's just a little circuit board with pots - and comes with 4 M-M servo cables) into my PZ Stinson SR-10.

I don't think anyone's even reviewed that item yet...

Did you receive it yet?

Interested in knowing what gyro is used. I can't see enough detail in the Hobbypartz photo and it looks like they have a decal covering the processor.

John
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Feb 21, 2013, 10:55 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Joined Jan 2010
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
Did you receive it yet?

Interested in knowing what gyro is used. I can't see enough detail in the Hobbypartz photo and it looks like they have a decal covering the processor.

John
I don't know that I'd bother with it, John. It's junk. I tested and tested with bindings, cabling (the 4 included, and others) and couldn't even get a pass thru to just the elevator and the rudder servos. I pared everything down to minimums and tried all manner of cable/pot polarity - [pots clockwise is reverse, neutral at 12 o'clock is what they label 'stop' and counter-clockwise is 'normal' or forward - range of motion stop-to-stop is 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock] - reversing of pots and Tx axis(s). No go.
The pretty orange LED on the board comes on, that's about it! And passes thru at least to bind the Rx - but the servos never 'center' after the Rx light goes 'solid' on completion. But this process happens when cabled direct, without the gyro.
Also, the instruction diagram has inputs and outputs. For the output diagram, they have RUD ELEV 'WING' (yeah, that's what they call it, not AIL), and on the silkscreen on the board they have AIL ELEV RUD - the 'correct' names on the silkscreen, but pinout with the same orientation between board and diagram obviously only has ELEV in common - AIL and RUD differ.

Since they included 4 male-male cables along with the board for $12 or so, it might be expecting a lot to have it actually work!

Anyway, that's my "review" - and not worth the hassle to send it back, IMO.

Addendum: Since I don't care about it, I can either pull the 'airplane symbol' orientation sticker off the unit to see what chip they used, or even send it to you if you want to mess around with it. If you want it, send me a PM where you want it sent, and I'll drop it in a mailer for you.
Last edited by WhirlyBits; Feb 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:56 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Hmmm...looking into putting this into one of planes as a test monkey to see how it works. Not looking to really make a huge difference just to maybe help make the plane more stable in some wind. Nothing more, nothing less.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:58 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
Hmmm...looking into putting this into one of planes as a test monkey to see how it works. Not looking to really make a huge difference just to maybe help make the plane more stable in some wind. Nothing more, nothing less.
Then this is the right gyro for you Does excatly what your looking for. ..JUST make sure you get V2 ( version 2 )..Actually think all of the new 1's are V2
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 25, 2013, 01:59 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Yeah I got two Version 2's for messing with. I saw your report on the Fun Cub and it looked promising.
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 25, 2013, 02:48 PM
manahawkin NJ
Joined Dec 2009
1,291 Posts
I'm using the version 2 on my GoSlow 60" i build i love the fact you can turn it off and on from your TX...Wow what a difference it makes in a flight on a windy day....

Sample of it in flight it still a little shaky need to dial it in better but still awesome...

GoSlow 60" Test Flight (2 min 3 sec)
smitty919 is online now Find More Posts by smitty919