HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:47 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,219 Posts
This is where you have to make sure there is absolutely no play in the pushrods and horns. They will be amplified by the speed of the plane. Found that out the hardway. Once I tightened things up I was able to up the gain a bit without the oscillations

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:27 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
MadridFlyer- Perhaps try setting the gyro up in a Old beater plane..until you get all the kinks worked out...THEN put it in & set it up in a nicer 1.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:48 AM
Australia, NSW, Baulkham Hills
Joined May 2004
449 Posts
Hi guys,

Despite searching for info in this thread, I am still confused as to exactly what I have to do to connections and TX settings to make the V2 stabilizer turn on and off via a switch.

I'm assuming the AUX input on the stabiliser goes to the AUX1 on the RX ......or does it go to GEAR on the RX?

I have a Spektrum DX8 and AR6210 receiver.
I am running ailerons via a Y cable.

Would someone be kind enough to give me step by step instructions please?
TX programming always confuses me.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Steve
stevo1957 is offline Find More Posts by stevo1957
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1957 View Post

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Steve
from the hobby king site-
Problem of the Aux On/Off SOLVED!!!

But it is nothing to do with TX endpoint settings!

There is a switch at the very top of the bak of dip switches for reversing the servo throws.

It is labelled 'AUX CTRL|GYO' ... move it to the left to the 'On' position. (Or to the 'REV' position according to the label for REV/NOR).

Set TX endpoints to 0% and 100% on your TX switch channel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For an excellent video on how to install and set up V2 got to this site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=NTj2YN801S4
Old Feb 14, 2013, 07:54 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Despite searching for info in this thread, I am still confused as to exactly what I have to do to connections and TX settings to make the V2 stabilizer turn on and off via a switch.

I'm assuming the AUX input on the stabiliser goes to the AUX1 on the RX ......or does it go to GEAR on the RX?

I have a Spektrum DX8 and AR6210 receiver.
I am running ailerons via a Y cable.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Steve
Just use the Gear Switch as the stock firmware only allows On/Off.

Also if the TX has Gear endpoints set to high or low, the Stabilizer will not turn off, set them to 0 & 100 as advised in the previous post. I had this problem, see post 1044.

Make sure everything is setup correctly (control surface direction) before connecting the RX3S. If after connecting the RX3S you need to set any reverse switches to apply the stabilization in the correct direction you also will have to reverse those same channels in the transmitter to get everything back to normal.

John
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:49 PM
Joined May 2004
449 Posts
Thanks guys.

So I run from the stabilizer AUX to AUX1 on my receiver and then set AUX to GEAR in my DX8 and then set endpoints for my gear channel at 0 and 100?

Still a bit confused.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys.

So I run from the stabilizer AUX to AUX1 on my receiver and then set AUX to GEAR in my DX8 and then set endpoints for my gear channel at 0 and 100?

Still a bit confused.

Cheers,

Steve
You don't have to remap Gear on the TX to AUX1, just leave it as Gear and connect the Gear output of your receiver to AUX on the RX3S.

John
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:38 PM
Joined May 2004
449 Posts
Thanks John!

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:00 PM
Joined May 2004
449 Posts
Hi guys,

From reading, I get the plane so that I have usual control throws in the right direction, which I have. Ater installing the stabilizer, rudder is repsonding the wrong way with gains enabled. If I flick the rudder switch on the RX3S it makes no difference...I have to reverse the rudder servo in the radio first and then play with the switch to get the right response directions.

Is this usual as I thought you had to make no chnages to your radio channel settings if the plane was flying properly before installation of the stabilizer.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:04 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

From reading, I get the plane so that I have usual control throws in the right direction, which I have. Ater installing the stabilizer, rudder is repsonding the wrong way with gains enabled. If I flick the rudder switch on the RX3S it makes no difference...I have to reverse the rudder servo in the radio first and then play with the switch to get the right response directions.

Is this usual as I thought you had to make no chnages to your radio channel settings if the plane was flying properly before installation of the stabilizer.

Cheers,

Steve
Dont worry in some setups you do have to reverse things in both the ORX AND the TX. Just make sure that when the unit is fitted everything responds the correct way with the gyro switched on/off.

Then remember that if you ever remove the unit to put in another plane you have to recheck everything to put it back to normal in this one........

Check,check,check before flying

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:21 AM
Joined Oct 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Hi guys,

Cheers,

Steve
After you change any switch on the RX3S, power it off/on. Some firmware only reads the switches at power on and never look at them again. I don't know how the original HK firmware works but power cycling the RX3S will not hurt anything.

Test your surface movements without the RX3S in the system (except for V-Tail and Delta as mixing is done in the RX3S). If any surfaces move in the wrong direction, reverse in your TX. Once everything is working properly, connect the RX3S to your system with RUD, ELE & AIL switches set to normal on the RX3S. If you have a V2, connect the AUX to your receiver and place the RX3S AUX CTRL/GYO switch to the left (REV). Set the TX to turn OFF stabilization.

Now test again and all of your surfaces should still be moving in the proper direction. Now check the direction of the stabilization correction (if V2 turn on stabilization in your TX).

Watch to see if the correction is being applied in the proper direction. If not you need to set the switch for that channel to the REV position on the RX3S AND REVERSE THAT SAME CHANNEL IN THE TX. Don't forget to cycle RX3S power after you move any switch.

Do LOTS of testing on the ground, lot easier and much cheaper to fix.

John
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined May 2004
449 Posts
Thanks guys.

More questions if may....

I'm reading different opinions regarding use of sub trim and trim.
I have some servos with high sub-trim (around 75) to get centreing right and am not able to get any closer moving the servo horn etc and on an other models, servos were glued in from purchase and are hard to get to to replace horns etc.

If I adjust control rod length to get rid of trim I'm just wondering what effect that will have on throw.

So questions are, who has been sucessful with RX3S installation with existing sub trim and when installed, who still uses normal trim for inflight adjustments etc?
Cheers,

Steve
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
changing the LENGTH of the control rod will have NO change in your throw.

Much better to zero your trim out mechanicaly...use Radio trim only as a last resort..Fine tuneing

having to use 75% sub trim is crazy...a servo should be able to get MUCH closer to zero if it was installed correctly with the servo arm placement & linkage set up...It just takes a bit more Patience to do it.

Enjoy
Pat
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:52 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
changing the LENGTH of the control rod will have NO change in your throw.

Much better to zero your trim out mechanicaly...use Radio trim only as a last resort..Fine tuneing

having to use 75% sub trim is crazy...a servo should be able to get MUCH closer to zero if it was installed correctly with the servo arm placement & linkage set up...It just takes a bit more Patience with it to do it.

Enjoy
Pat
In a perfect world length of the control rod wont change the throw, however it can in odd circumstances LIMIT the maximum throw by mechanically jamming at the extremes so it is ALWAYS best to adjust the rods and horns to get the surfaces centred with the trims and sub trims centred. Trim and subtrim is really just there to make adjustments at the field before making permanent adjustments back home.............of course we all do that...........not............lol

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:57 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,219 Posts
It seems a few clicks of normal trim has no adverse affects.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2