SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:39 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Yes you can use a V tail mixer to give flapperons but you still need to seperate the 2 aileron servos if using an electronic mixer.

This will work but needs some thought as the ORX has an odd characteristic

The Gyro has 2 outputs but for some unknown reason one is reversed from the other.

You can of course mount 1 servo reversed if building from scratch or use 1 reversed servo.

Then you would wire the V tail mixer between the gyro and servos adding the flapperon channel then no mixing needs to pass through the ORX.

If you are talking about a mechanical mixer and only 1 ail servo then yes it will work as standard.

Just make sure the surfaces have lots of travel and dont set full flaperon as the limit of the mechanical movement as when the gyro kicks in it will try to overdrive the surfaces.

Dave

PS you could just buy another ORX and use 2 at once.........
Thanks

I plan on using 2 aileron servos, so I will need to reverse one right (thats a problem I've reversed many a servo in the past by resoldering the wires)

Now please correct me if Im wrong:

From the RX I need to connect the aileron channel to the gyro and the flap channel to the v-tail mixer.

From the gyro I connect the aileron R to the v-tail mixer.

From the v-tail mixer I connect 1 normal aileron servo and 1 reversed aileron servo.

Now the flapperons should function with gyro on both aileron control surfaces?
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2013, 07:48 PM
Joined Jul 2011
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Man, this thing is really fighting me. I calculate 128 possible combinations of my 2 servos. I surely hope I don't have to try them all. I keep thinking I'll find someone who's gotten the delta setup working with the unit on top of the plane ...
. I think I tried all 128 with no luck. Then I mounted it on top, but sideways, and had no trouble getting everything working right. Flew great. Others have also done this successfully on their delta. Try it.
hapfarr is offline Find More Posts by hapfarr
Old Feb 05, 2013, 03:09 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
Thanks

I plan on using 2 aileron servos, so I will need to reverse one right (thats a problem I've reversed many a servo in the past by resoldering the wires)

Now please correct me if Im wrong:

From the RX I need to connect the aileron channel to the gyro and the flap channel to the v-tail mixer.

From the gyro I connect the aileron R to the v-tail mixer.

From the v-tail mixer I connect 1 normal aileron servo and 1 reversed aileron servo.

Now the flapperons should function with gyro on both aileron control surfaces?
I have just checked the spec of the V tail mixer at HK.

Forget the reversed servo comment I made, that only holds true if you use BOTH outputs at once from the ORX. The mixer you have only uses 1 input for aileron so should work fine using either ail output to feed into it. Just one will give reversed movement

So aile/ele/rud go from RX to ORX then ele/rud servos plug into ORX

ail goes from ORX to V tail, flap goes from RX to V tail and then the 2 ail servos plug into the V tail mixer.

I would set the V tail up first without the ORX in the line to get it all working as it should then put the ORX in. You may have to use the reverse switches on the ORX to get the correction the proper way, if you do CHECK, CHECK, CHECK that the stick reactions are still the same, usually you need to use reversing on the TX to get it all back again.

Best of luck with this as sometimes the combination of gyro and mix can get weird results......lol

As the mixer is after the ORX it should work, just may need some fiddling with to get there.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,626 Posts
give him props guys.
OrangeRx V2 Stabilizer - Delta Setup (2 min 47 sec)
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:05 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
//edit: Nevermind.
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Feb 06, 2013 at 09:36 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:57 PM
Must not buy more planes!
USA, KS, Wichita
Joined Jul 2010
2,404 Posts
Alright. I've duplicated his setup exactly:
  • Plugs toward front of plane.
  • Labels pointing up.
  • Rx AIL -> ORx AIL in
  • Rx ELE -> ORx ELE in
  • Left/Port servo <- ORx ELE out
  • Right/Starboard servo <- ORx AIL L out
  • ORx ELE dip switch REVERSED
  • ORx AIL dip switch REVERSED
  • Tx ELE REVERSED
  • Tx AIL NORMAL
This doesn't work for me. All controls and all gyro responses are reversed.

My servo orientation differs from his; his servos stand up while mine lie down. Maybe that's the problem.

edit// BOOYAH!!! I think I've got this thing working! As you can more-or-less see in the photo, My servos are lying on their sides, with the arms on the outside.

Here's my set-up:
  • Plugs toward front of plane.
  • Labels pointing up.
  • Rx AIL -> ORx AIL in
  • Rx ELE -> ORx ELE in
  • Left/Port servo <- ORx ELE out
  • Right/Starboard servo <- ORx AIL L out
  • ORx ELE dip switch NORMAL
  • ORx AIL dip switch NORMAL
  • Tx ELE REVERSED
  • Tx AIL NORMAL
mclarkson is offline Find More Posts by mclarkson
Last edited by mclarkson; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 10:01 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
go to the orange rx3 v2 gyro page @ hobby king....then scroll down....click on file tab...it has a bunch Of instruction files & a few videos...most are here...but this way you dont have to search for them

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=28456
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:36 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
I have just checked the spec of the V tail mixer at HK.

Forget the reversed servo comment I made, that only holds true if you use BOTH outputs at once from the ORX. The mixer you have only uses 1 input for aileron so should work fine using either ail output to feed into it. Just one will give reversed movement

So aile/ele/rud go from RX to ORX then ele/rud servos plug into ORX

ail goes from ORX to V tail, flap goes from RX to V tail and then the 2 ail servos plug into the V tail mixer.

I would set the V tail up first without the ORX in the line to get it all working as it should then put the ORX in. You may have to use the reverse switches on the ORX to get the correction the proper way, if you do CHECK, CHECK, CHECK that the stick reactions are still the same, usually you need to use reversing on the TX to get it all back again.

Best of luck with this as sometimes the combination of gyro and mix can get weird results......lol

As the mixer is after the ORX it should work, just may need some fiddling with to get there.

Dave
excellent thanks

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

Does anyone know how much the v2 weighs without the case?
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:58 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
So tell me, does this OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer work better than the Guardian?. It sure would be nice if it does as is costs far less!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:09 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
So tell me, does this OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer work better than the Guardian?. It sure would be nice if it does as is costs far less!
Going on what has been said on here and elsewhere I think not. Not seen any bad comments about the Guardian yet.

I dont have a Guardian to compare side by side but the general quality and ease of use looks better on the Eagle Tree system. I have other Eagle Tree stuff and its excellent so would imagine the Guardian to be a good product also.

When set up just right the ORX does a fine job, it just can be a bit of a PITA to get there. Also the set up on all gyros can be time consuming, most people whant plug and play these days not plug and experiment......lol

The one thing I am asking for in V3 is variable rate setting from the TX not just on/off.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:53 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,910 Posts
They are not in the same class.

The Guardian is a very sophisticated stabilizer with well thought out firmware and software. It includes both gyros and accelerometers and can actually level the aircraft and hold a heading if you want. First time you switch to "2D" mode in flight and see it snap a model out of a spin into perfect level flight in a couple of feet without any overshoot is amazing.

Mechanically it is well thought out and made, except there have been a few issues with tight USB connections since some cables seem to be a bit bigger than others. Biggest issue has been getting them as they are very popular.

You can control both mode and gain remotely. It is perfectly feasible to set up a Guardian and fly an untried model with it if you so desired. The 2D stabilisation mode might well save your bacon. Not saying you should - but you could. Does need a bit of work to understand what it does but with power comes a bit of cognitive load.

The Orange is a fairly primitive (IMO) rate only stabilizer. V1 is for the adventurous since it cannot be controlled at all in flight. V2 adds at least remote off and seems to be a significant improvement. Properly set up it seems to work fine.

It is a lot cheaper and has a spiffy orange hard case.

I have a couple of V1's going cheap if you want them.

Quote:
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
So tell me, does this OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer work better than the Guardian?
Not even close. I have both. Guardian 2D/3D works extremely well, I have several in use. I got two (V1) Oranges to try. They don't come close to Guardians' performance. I gave one away and the other is in my junk box.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:10 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
This question may be answered in this thread, but I can't find it. I recently set up my first V2 stabilizer, and even when I have switched it off I still get some random servo chatter. It does not seem to correspond to gyro movement. I'm using Futaba FASST. Anyone else experience this? Anyone know a solution?

It is minor, but annoying.

Thanks
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:32 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,211 Posts
The orange gyro does what it's supposed to do, no more, no less. No bells and whistles, just a 3 axis gyro. I have two V1s in use with no problems. If you want the extra goodies, get the Guardian.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
No bells and whistles, just a 3 axis gyro. I have two V1s in use with no problems. If you want the extra goodies, get the Guardian.
You can set a Guardian 2D/3D to work as "just" a 3 axis rate gyro. It's performance, as "just" a 3 axis rate gyro, is much superior to the Orange units. Guardian doesn't fight your inputs, gives consistent, predictable responses and has a more usefull range of gain adjustment.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards