HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2012, 07:12 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,013 Posts
Still dont know why RCP would feel that a separate BEC is necessary. I just got mine in the mail today, so I guess I will find out myself.
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Nov 2004
671 Posts
pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
I squeezed the original 12MB version down to just under 3MB, so RC Groups attachment system shouldn't choke.
this pdf is not for the 'ORANGE' enclosed version....completely different.
pkfoamer is offline Find More Posts by pkfoamer
Old Aug 13, 2012, 09:09 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
I agree.
But just maybe the instructions for setup work the same, eh?
Has anyone gone over these instructions with relation to the ORX stabilizer?
Sounds like a good rainy day project.
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 13, 2012, 11:01 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkfoamer View Post
this pdf is not for the 'ORANGE' enclosed version....completely different.
Interesting - - -
HobbyKing sent it to me - - - supposedly because it covers the ORX.

I would hope there is some overlap!

I have yet to receive mine.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CurtissP40; Aug 13, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:21 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
That diagram using a BEC looks like it could be problematic.
The stabilizer will have TWO power sources - from the Rx AND BEC. If they are not real close to the same voltage, the higher voltage power source will be driving current back into the lower voltage power source, won't it? Seems to me you would need to cut all of the servo positive power lines between the Rx and the stabilzer if you are going to connect a BEC, eh?

Walt
Walt, you may be right, IDK. But if you did this to the power source from the ESC back to the RX the problem, (if it exist) would be eliminated. I do this on all my rigs where I use a UBEC as the power source to the RX.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:49 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Walt, you may be right, IDK. But if you did this to the power source from the ESC back to the RX the problem, (if it exist) would be eliminated. I do this on all my rigs where I use a UBEC as the power source to the RX.
Rn
I think the way to do it would be to just cut the servo plus (red) wires between the Rx and the stabiliser. Don't cut the red wire between the Rx and the ESC because the ESC is only being fed power through the Rx since it is not connected to the stabiliser or the BEC.

But like someone said, there is no scenario for which I would want to use a BEC anyway. Can anyone think of a situation where a BEC would be of use?

Walt
Last edited by Kokopeli; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,124 Posts
I seen this ad on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

He wants 210.99 L. I sent him a message and ask him what the difference was between his and the 15.00 on HK. His reply was he had stock and HK dosen't.
would this be considered a rip off.....tongue in cheek.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
1,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I seen this ad on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

would this be considered a rip off.....tongue in cheek.
wow that guy has some ba*ls to pull that off... what a joke. We should all message him and tell him that!
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,311 Posts
That's a very common practice and one reason Orange RX are out of stock so often. HK sells them so cheap that people buy 20-50-100 at a time and resell them for twice the markup. I have no problem with people who do that at swap meets, but online resellers should be called out.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:09 PM
Fly Hiiii
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jul 2006
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Still dont know why RCP would feel that a separate BEC is necessary. I just got mine in the mail today, so I guess I will find out myself.
I just installed The RG3 to my T-28 without BEC yesterday. It works perfect. I use BEC only if I need to feed several servos more than 2 amps.

Fred
fdaremi is online now Find More Posts by fdaremi
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,346 Posts
I just had my Doh! moment with needing the male to male servo wires. I guess this will be a project for next week. By then I hope some of you fine folks have figured out a few more things.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enterprise7 View Post
I just had my Doh! moment with needing the male to male servo wires. I guess this will be a project for next week. By then I hope some of you fine folks have figured out a few more things.
Figured out what things? It seems to me things are pretty well documented.
Do you have any specitic questions?
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:36 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Yep.
My question is how well this thing will work with a RET plane?
What will the effect be without using the roll axis feedback from the sensor to control the plane?
Seems like not having ailerons to use that information may spoil the strategy that the FW writers built into the control program, eh?

Walt
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:57 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,692 Posts
I for one just want to get hold of this and try it first on a fairly stable and reasonably tough plane - in my case the AXN Clouds fly which is my test video platform. My OrangeRXs are currently being shipped. It seems that the method of connecting the OrangeRX from the RX to the servos is reasonably well documented and you can test the right orientation by just moving a stationary plane. As for the gain adjustments, no manual can ever give you the correct settings for these - its just trial and error and depends on the plane.

The fact that it doesn't return the plane to level on centring the sticks shouldn't be a problem - for me that would prevent me from flying the plane as I wanted. What I want is for a more stable video platform in wind and, possibly, assistance in flying some of my more unstable planes. If it can do this for $15 and a bit of experimentation it will be well worth it.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:05 PM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
221 Posts
Hey mate

Can you clarify the orientation of the orange unit in the plane please. I had wiring side towards front of the plane as shown in one of the images but looks like you have the wiring side opposite to me and on the reverse section of the orange box i had to reverse the ailerons but nothing else.Did not touch the gain settings at all

Result

I took my corsair for flight today and the aircraft was all over the place some how managed to get it up in the air and then was struggling to bank with full aileron input from the remote.any way crash landed it

Is there anything that i'm missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
******************WARNING***************

Make sure the unit corrects the movement in the right direction, this is very important check and double check this.

If you set this up with the corrections reversed you will increase the chance of a crash..........as it will increase the turn/pitch/roll not decrease it.

If you are not confident that you can set it up right dont fly, get someone to check it out for you who has the experience.

Right just got back from 6 lipos through my PZ Corsair fitted out with the 3-axis box

For the money this is great, the wind was not a lot but I picked a place to fly that was gusty and turbulent around some trees and bushes.

I have just had the most fun with this model ever......

The stock settings are way too sensitive, the servos chatter with it on the ground so I wound them back until the chatter stopped.

Talk about steady.... with flaps down into wind she could hover hands off.........awesome makes it look sooo easy.

Landing approach was line her up flaps down and just user throttle stick to vary descent wings steady as a rock.

I was landing in spot 20' square............easy

I am shocked how effective it is, I have been flying 30 years and I am impressed

Not something I will use in every model but I am teaching my daughter and this will help get some stick time when usually she would be grounded

It does make a bit of a rats nest mind, I used 3 male to male leads and 3 extensions so a lot of cable to pack away.

The photo shows how much........may shorten some of the leads when I fit it something permanent.

Dave
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10