HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:47 AM
Computer geek
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Thank you for your quick reply. In my EPP-FPV I have digital MG servos, and in the smaller Focke Folf 190D I have HX900 basic analog servos. And experiance about the same jitter in both. :/

The jitter dosn't change with the amount of gain, just if aileron signal is connected or not.

Seriously considdering standing the unit on end so I can use only the Jaw gyro as elevator and use the Elevator gyro as Aileron and skip the aileron gyro totally (feel less need for jaw gyro action). Ugly quickfix and only using 2/3 of the potential but still.
Fluf77 is offline Find More Posts by Fluf77
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluf77 View Post
Thank you for your quick reply. In my EPP-FPV I have digital MG servos, and in the smaller Focke Folf 190D I have HX900 basic analog servos. And experiance about the same jitter in both. :/

The jitter dosn't change with the amount of gain, just if aileron signal is connected or not.
You can tell if the stabilization is causing the jitter or not by turning it off with the AUX channel. If the jitter persists with stabilization off, then it is not the stabilization part of the RX3S causing the problem.

I did bench testing using the RX3S V2 with the HK firmware and HX900 servos and I detected jitter with the stabilization turned off. I measured the jitter on a scope and if I recall correctly it was up to about 20us.

I am working with noobee on the FlightStab firmware. With that firmware the jitter is minimal, it is in the 2-3us range. A lot of effort was put into resolving the jitter issue. The bad news is that you have to flash your RX3S device with the FlightStab firmware and there is no going back.

John
JohnRB is offline Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:47 PM
Computer geek
Joined Jul 2012
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
You can tell if the stabilization is causing the jitter or not by turning it off with the AUX channel. If the jitter persists with stabilization off, then it is not the stabilization part of the RX3S causing the problem.

I did bench testing using the RX3S V2 with the HK firmware and HX900 servos and I detected jitter with the stabilization turned off. I measured the jitter on a scope and if I recall correctly it was up to about 20us.

I am working with noobee on the FlightStab firmware. With that firmware the jitter is minimal, it is in the 2-3us range. A lot of effort was put into resolving the jitter issue. The bad news is that you have to flash your RX3S device with the FlightStab firmware and there is no going back.

John
Im no stranger to do flash 3d party firmware to property stuff. All I need is a decent guide of what's involved on the hardware and software side of the procedure. Please enlighten me and I'm willing to try.

A bricked gyro is only a few $, a flawless one is Win
Fluf77 is offline Find More Posts by Fluf77
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Oct 2011
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluf77 View Post
Im no stranger to do flash 3d party firmware to property stuff. All I need is a decent guide of what's involved on the hardware and software side of the procedure. Please enlighten me and I'm willing to try.

A bricked gyro is only a few $, a flawless one is Win
Discussion is here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672

Firmware is here:
https://github.com/noobee/FlightStab

Firmware is still in development, however noobee has done some test flights using it.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:32 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
my plane flys great in quite a bit of wind...with gyro on...BUT if I put the hammer down...I have to turn it off..as it will almost shake itself to peices...absolutly NO issue tho'...slow..Putt Putt = ON
Fast hot = Off No Issue
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:53 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,740 Posts
Mine did that too. I backed off on the sensitivity a bit and it's good at high and low speed.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:48 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Alrighty, guys. I finally got mine in the mail and, after some struggles, seem to have it working on my delta wing-y plane.

I read through (some of) this thread and saw many posts about getting a delta setup working. (Including mounting the unit sideways.)

FWIW, here's how mine is set up.
  • Mixing on the Rx is OFF.
  • Delta switch on the ORx is ON.
  • Left servo plugs into the Aileron Left plug on the ORx.
  • Right servo plugs into the Elevator plug on the ORx.
  • Both servos NORMAL (i.e. not REVERSED)
  • ORx mounted on top with the plugs at the back.

I haven't flown it yet but, so far, this seems to be working.
sounds good, let us know how it works. Just to confirm that while enabled, the gyros are compensating for roll correctly? instead of compounding it?

Ie, roll left, right side eleven rises?

It seems thats how i have mine set up, but i still had issues. I have to re-check my servo orientation compared to yours. As im thinking that would be the key to having it mixed up...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 01, 2013, 02:10 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
mclarkson i jsut went out and tested what you did and it was a no go for me. Yes the stick orientation was correct...but the gyros compensated wrong. in both directions. when i tilted the unit forward, the elevons would pitch down. and then i would bank left, the left ail would rise..what this is doing is compounding the control surfaces...
So i tried flipping the elev and ail dip switchs but all that did was reverse the servos. Plus th only diff in my set up to yours is
Right servo plugs into the Aileron Left plug on the ORx, where you have your left. and my left is in my Elev. I have also swithced these around and there is always something not right. no matter what.

I do have a few questions though, what radio are you using?Also what wing/tail mix are you using?
I use a DX7s, and in my wing/tail mix i have it set to norm tail, and normal wing..ie 1 servo.
I tired the elevon in my first attempts to no advil. Then i realized the 3 axis does the mix for you.

I don't even know what im going to sue this in yet. may try it in my TBRC FPV wing. But right now the only way i can get this working correctly is when its mounted sideways, words readable from the nose of the plane.

If you can re-check and make sure your control surfaces are going to work against the 3axis movements and not compound them.
Might be a good idea also to activate your AUX and turn it on after your a few mistakes high.

cheers
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Eastcoast78; Feb 01, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:43 AM
Joined Oct 2011
794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
mclarkson i jsut went out and tested what you did and it was a no go for me. Yes the stick orientation was correct...but the gyros compensated wrong. in both directions. when i tilted the unit forward, the elevons would pitch down. and then i would bank left, the left ail would rise..what this is doing is compounding the control surfaces...
So i tried flipping the elev and ail dip switchs but all that did was reverse the servos.
I have not flown an RX3S yet, only a lot of bench testing. It appears to me that HK is using the servo reverse switches in a strange way. Instead of changing the way the correction is applied, it reverses the input pulse width (wide becomes narrow and narrow becomes wide) with the correction not being altered. This fixes the correction but now you have to reverse the servo's in your TX to compensate for what the RX3S just did to your servo directions.

If your surfaces were moving properly before the RX3S was connected and you need to use a reverse switch on the RX3S to correct applied correction, you must ALSO reverse all channels in the TX that you have reversed on the RX3S.

Let us know if that works for you.
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:52 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,740 Posts
Yep, I had to do the same as you John, to get the surfaces to move in the right direction after the gyro was set. Try it Eastcoast.

Gord
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Feb 01, 2013, 10:57 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Same here.

Dep. on the orientation of the unit and your set up, sometimes both the RX3S and the TX need be reversed. My V2 unit had a small bias in the rudder channel that I had to rectify with some subtrim.

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:41 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Same here ( After a Crash due to this mystery function)...It never dawned to re-check the transmiter reverse after changing the Gyro reverse...BUT IT WILL from now on..I plowed my plane in due to reversed ailerons
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Feb 01, 2013, 11:21 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
I have not flown an RX3S yet, only a lot of bench testing. It appears to me that HK is using the servo reverse switches in a strange way. Instead of changing the way the correction is applied, it reverses the input pulse width (wide becomes narrow and narrow becomes wide) with the correction not being altered. This fixes the correction but now you have to reverse the servo's in your TX to compensate for what the RX3S just did to your servo directions.

If your surfaces were moving properly before the RX3S was connected and you need to use a reverse switch on the RX3S to correct applied correction, you must ALSO reverse all channels in the TX that you have reversed on the RX3S.

Let us know if that works for you.
Ok i think i follow you there. So with this done, your unit is orientated pin to the back in Elevon mode?
I may have a look at it again.. I mean, right now the way i have it set up works, just the unit has to be mounted sideways. Which really is not a big deal? But i think what happened when when i reverse the servos in the TX, my gyros then switched around..But the dip switchs were normal if im not mistaken...
I was more curious and with no instructions for all i knew that was the proper way to do it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:43 AM
Savannah, Ga, USA
Joined Feb 2009
468 Posts
Flew my foam F-22 with V2 stabilizer for the first time yesterday. It is a delta, and setup as described in post #1285. Everything went well. I even landed and moved the gain up just a touch, now between 1 and 2 o'clock. It does help stabilize the plane in wind around 8 to 10 mph. Since there is no rudder, still get a little yaw wiggle but can't control that.

Hey Eastcoast, you need to turn off the mixing in your transmitter, because the elevon mixing happens in the V2 stabilizer. Don't want to mix twice.

And +1 what John says about checking/reversing your transmitter control after you reverse anything on your V2.
Beachcomber is offline Find More Posts by Beachcomber
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:04 PM
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Feb 2006
297 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
If you have to zero all trim and sub trim in the TX then it seems that you have to have either:
1. have perfect mechanical trim or your plane will be untrimmed if you disable it mod flight
2. leave the controller on all the time
3. Have a TX that has different trim settings for the stabilizer On and OFF. My Dx6i won't do that. I just picked up a Dx18. Maybe it can have different sets of trim settings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weed89 View Post
@ Rooster

Only reason I bought 1 ( the V2) Is that it can be swiched on and off Via the Tx

with that said, the Setup is the Most Important ( control surface directions with the Gyro Both Off & On)

there is a "servo / gyro reverse" THING...but once all that is worked out.and the gyro is tuned down a little bit...This SUCK'A is sweet...just do your ground work setting it up with the control surfaces going the right directions...And you TOO will like it.

I just ordered 3 more...and flew with it Both ON & Off today...a Blast

Pat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster433 View Post
I just picked up one of these and are concerned they are glitchy. What is the consensus? Do not fly unless you can remotely disable? I like my airplanes too much to risk them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
ROOSTER,
Agreed. I foolishly bought two of the V1 when they were first released.
After much bench testing, I decided I don't trust the things at all and used them any plane!
I was thinking of buying one V2, but you know what, I just might wait for V3!!!
B!LL!

Thanks guys, Flew my fun cub with it last weekend. I made it so that I can turn it on/off in flight . I'm not sure this thing is for me. Before I start let me say that I fly with quite a bit of expo on my fun cub because I have the throws set up very aggressively. With the gyro on it would hold a knife edge, bank, dive, climb, etc. It was like a autopilot. This is with the gains set so low that

What I didn't like is that the gyro seemed to be fighting me. When you pull out of a dive for instance... its pull pull pull pull then yank it shoots up. I was looking for something like the Horizon's AS3X system that just calms bumpy days out.
Rooster433 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster433