Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:57 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachcomber View Post
Good stuff guys.

Flybynight, you might have hit the nail on the head. If they copied, then might not have a clue how it's supposed to work. It then would really be up to us to figure.
There is NO money to be made in copying someones instructions. In fact it would be an expense. Printing cost and additional weight in shipping.
Rn
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:11 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I am not being a wise a$$ here but, as to set up, it night be better to read the 1st fifteen pages. That is where it all started, and posters where sharing what they learned about set up.
Rn
I have a unique problem. Perhaps I didn't see it in the first few pages, but I can go back and read them again. I was just a smidgen upset that I posted all the details of my problem last night, and a whole page of activity went by, and no one acknowledged my question. Hence the prod.

I'll be short in my description this time: why does the right aileron mirror the elevator when I plug in the elev.? It should not do that.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:22 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Stinkpot View Post
I have a unique problem. Perhaps I didn't see it in the first few pages, but I can go back and read them again. I was just a smidgen upset that I posted all the details of my problem last night, and a whole page of activity went by, and no one acknowledged my question. Hence the prod.

I'll be short in my description this time: why does the right aileron mirror the elevator when I plug in the elev.? It should not do that.
Sounds to me like it might be set "elevalons" not sure that is the right term.
Rn
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:25 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Try this post it might help.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
Rn
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post

It appears that the RX3 outputs are lagging by 1 frame, notice the RX3 A_L signal goes positive before the RX Aileron signal goes positive thus the timing for that pulse must have been initiated by the previous RX Aileron signal.

John
That's interesting it would explain why the response to stick movements is slowed down.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
That's interesting it would explain why the response to stick movements is slowed down.

Terry
I have not flown one of these yet but I guess a good pilot doing acrobatics might notice a 22ms delay.

The Spectrum transmitters (at least the DX8 and DX18) have the ability to run an 11ms frame rate on Aileron, Elevator & Rudder if you are using digital servos. I don't think Spectrum would have added that feature if people were not concerned with response time.

I would guess that other brands of transmitters also have the same feature, I have only used Spectrum. (That's not really true, I used home brew radios and ProLine in the 60's-70's. No computer radios in those days.)
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Dec 31, 2012, 11:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Sorry, it didn't. It doesn't tell me why my right aileron copies the ELEVATOR when I have the elevator plugged into it's proper spot. I have checked and quadruple checked the wiring, it's right.

I understand that this unit does not support mixing. Fine, I can always play with it with the mixing off. But I can't fly at all with the aileron acting the way it is.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:00 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRB View Post
I have not flown one of these yet but I guess a good pilot doing acrobatics might notice a 22ms delay.
Well I'm not either but on the ground I notice the servos move more slowly and in bigger jumps than they do without the stabiliser.

In the air it's still noticable and I'm only trundling an Easy Star round trying to get it stabilised for aerial photography. Nothing fancy there but I would not like the delay on my aerobatic model.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:13 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,028 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, it didn't. It doesn't tell me why my right aileron copies the ELEVATOR when I have the elevator plugged into it's proper spot. I have checked and quadruple checked the wiring, it's right.

I understand that this unit does not support mixing. Fine, I can always play with it with the mixing off. But I can't fly at all with the aileron acting the way it is.
Those instructions are for V1, You probably have V2, right?
Rn
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:15 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,625 Posts
guys...
did you try this in order to switch the stabilizer off?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X488173X43.txt

not sure about the v2 stabilizer behaviour shifting the pulse out since I don't have mine yet. but do read a few pages back about the open flight stabilizer code evolution

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:19 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Yes, I have the V2.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:24 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,173 Posts
Stinkpot: it sound like one of your mixes is between the el. and ails. I'd remove all of the mixes and start from scratch. You can put a Y connector in the ail output from the gyro and use it as is. The two ail outputs in the gyro are tied together to act like a Y connector but work the servos in the same direction. You'll need to use a servo reverser on one servo or, what I did was flip one of the servos over in the wing. Just simpler for this particular plane.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I can guarantee that there is no AIL-EL mixing. I just checked, AIL-EL mixing is not selected.

For this plane, I MUST have certain mixes, including flaperons (I have separate flaps and ails, but I have the flaps tied to the ails for smoother turns). What I think I'll do is hook it up so that the right AIL is going through the gyro, and only the right AIL will do the correcting. It sounds good in theory. But I gotta fix the glitch first.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Dec 31, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
guys...
did you try this in order to switch the stabilizer off?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...X488173X43.txt
Yes, I found that document and updated my original post with the scope trace. Tried the switch both ways (powering on/off between switch changes in case it is only read at power on) and it did not help. Tried all 3 units. Something else must be going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
not sure about the v2 stabilizer behaviour shifting the pulse out since I don't have mine yet. but do read a few pages back about the open flight stabilizer code evolution

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1794672
I have been following that thread, no work done on the V2 yet.

I have not received my programmer yet still in transit (takes 3-4 weeks) When it arrives I will try to look at the code.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Oct 2011
862 Posts
Quote:
I can guarantee that there is no AIL-EL mixing. I just checked, AIL-EL mixing is not selected.

For this plane, I MUST have certain mixes, including flaperons (I have separate flaps and ails, but I have the flaps tied to the ails for smoother turns). What I think I'll do is hook it up so that the right AIL is going through the gyro, and only the right AIL will do the correcting. It sounds good in theory. But I gotta fix the glitch first.
I am a complete novice with these stabilizers but let me offer a suggestion.

Just for testing purposes, remove the elevator from the stabilizer and connect the elevator servo directly to the receiver and see if the ailerons now work properly. If they don't there might be something wrong with the stabilizer.