SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:32 PM
Better to burn out, than fade
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTom View Post
V1/2=? has this to do with AVR connectors on the unit?
If I would know how to do this, I wouldn't be asking
Aha, to switch off the power from stabilizer... and servos should be working... but I dont' have extra power to the unit . It is powered thought rx and servos...
SlimTom is offline Find More Posts by SlimTom
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:17 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTom View Post
Tried to search this threat to answer my question, but it's too long....

Q: Is there a way to connect a Chanel from RX to enable/disable stabilizer during fligh?
The original version 1 could not be switched on/off. The new V2 can be switched on/off from your RX.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2012, 05:50 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
I'm probably going to take my V1 out of my Easy Star and flog it on Ebay. I got the gain wound up so that it just fishtailed slightly on launch but the model still isnt stable enough to get good video. Add to that my rudder servo packed up just after launch on the second flight of the day . Now I don't know that the gyro caused the failure but it is causing the servos to work a lot harder so I suspect its wearing them out.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:40 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,495 Posts
Yes, the gyro will work servos. I highly recommend the highest quality servo you can afford when using a gyro.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:47 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
It was just a cheap and nasty JP supertech Naro. I've replaced it with a Hitec HS55 which have served me well for years

Terry
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:35 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,495 Posts
My HS 55 have been horrible. They all end up twitchy and not centering. My friend Left Coast DJ had the same problem. I have now regulated the 55s to the junk drawer.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 12:08 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Just waiting for some good weather...

I just finished my V2 install in my Yak55 last week.

First impressions:

NICE - smaller and lighter than the V1, and I was able to get the DX6i to run the gear channel for on/off (using a spare AR500 spektrum RX I had left over).

I'm running digital servos all the way around, and checked the current draw during operation: My BEC can handle up to 4A and it's less than 800mA under pretty much full standby (no motor running) but with the ORX and all servos adjusting during operation. Just over 0.5A actually (that's the Turnigy 45A AE45 ESC, my 500W motor on standby, my ORX, the AR500 running, plus the four HD-1810 digital servos (HK))...

My unit is positioned with the in/out jacks facing forward, and thus my Aileron channel needed to be reversed on the ORX to compensate properly. No big deal there. Gear channel works fine! I was able to set it to provide on/off as designed on the V2. No issues. Linearity on my V2 is MUCH better than the V1 I have been using, and I still need to tweak it a bit before maidening the plane.

I mounted the RX such that all channels mapped pretty much 1:1 off each unit. Easier, cleaner install. I also used some HK foam degined for gyro mounting. Nice product. Double-sided foam adhesive product which seems to add some dampening to vibrations that might impact gyro operation during flight.

So far, everything looks very good, and no issues with operation. It may be several weeks to maiden as we've been locked in full winter mode here in west-central Canada with colder than average temperatures and tons of snow!

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Dec 22, 2012, 02:32 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
My HS 55 have been horrible. They all end up twitchy and not centering. My friend Left Coast DJ had the same problem. I have now regulated the 55s to the junk drawer.
That's interesting I've had very good performance out of the 8 I have been using for years . But all my 55's are some years old marked 2005 I wonder if quality has gone down of late. Is your experience with recently purchased ones ? is there a date code on them?

I was listening to the soundtrack of the video I took on the last flight and the servos were working all the time and towards the end you could hear the servo stutter. When I listen to video done without the gyro the servos are silent most of the time. I reckon the gyro puts the servo workload up by at least a factor of 10

Regards

Terry
Old Dec 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,495 Posts
All my HS 55s were about two to three years old. I can see if there is a serial number on them, but I doubt it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:04 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I've never had issues with the HS55 servos either, however, after having seen and used a set of HobbyKing HD1810s i(digital metal gear servos) in my recent build, I'm probably never going back. About the same size/ but moreweight than the 55s, but WAY more torque.

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Dec 23, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 09:08 AM
Proud to eat Kraut ;-)
Germany
Joined Dec 2003
5,298 Posts
Latency?

Hi!

I got my stabilizer as well, and decided to strip it and put end connectors on it. It is lighter and more compact this way.

I put it in a small flying wing which was tail-heavy before and did not fly very well. Now, it is ok.
I noticed that the rolls were not as quick as before due to the dampening of the stabilizer. But then I concieved a mixer from the roll channel to the AUX channel, so that with more than 50% stick deflection, the stabilizer is switched off. Now the rolls should be as quick as before.

Has anyone made tests about how much latency is added by this stabilizer?

I don't want to rip mine out once it was so neatly installed, but if anyone has one lying around, perhaps he could do the following test: Mix 2 channels, plug one servo in the RX directly, and on the other channel, put the stabilizer in between. Now check if there is a delay between the movement of the two servos.
This would be great!

Cheers,

Julez
Julez is online now Find More Posts by Julez
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:39 PM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
Hey guys, i would like to show my orx 3 axis. Since i want to put it in a 3d foamie i had to find a way to strip it. I recon that the soldering points of ailereon elevator and rudder are aligned and that there are holes in it, so it must be stackable with orx 610.

I was able to shove the 610 on the nine pins, it could look better but i decided to solder this way to still be able to choose whether to solder the aileron right wires from the top or from the bottom.

total weight of combo is 6.7 g

weight without case

3 axis 5.7 g
610 3.7 g

without pins

3axis 4.2 g
610 2.1 g

with cases 14 and 9.7 g

all weights as far as i can remember
Moergo23 is offline Find More Posts by Moergo23
Last edited by Moergo23; Dec 23, 2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
next
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Apr 2010
5 Posts
picture
Old Dec 23, 2012, 01:04 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
Great work! Receiver and 3 axis under 7 g, amazing. And a easier to package in the plane.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr