HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:49 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,426 Posts
in theory yes it should work but then you loose your reference to the gain position (and the v1 gains are sensitive) you dont really need to remove it, just unplug the input wires, connect your servos up to the receiver and leave the stabiliser as is
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
in theory yes it should work but then you loose your reference to the gain position (and the v1 gains are sensitive) you dont really need to remove it, just unplug the input wires, connect your servos up to the receiver and leave the stabiliser as is
I have not achieved a good gain position yet and removing the cable from the stabilizer and putting them straight to the receiver require more work then just put all the gains to zero. So if gains to zero is like removing the unit i think i will just set them to zero.

My only fear is thet even with gains to zero in flight it will fight my inputs.
matrixFLYER is online now Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,633 Posts
I don't think it work like that but just do a ground test

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
To respond to the question of "to velcro or not to velcro", I have used this polyester blue velcro from HK for a couple of years now. I have used it for anything from RXs to batteries. It has high adhesive glue (takes a pair of pliers to pull it loose) and excellent hook & loop.

Gary
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:23 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
I have another question...will the gyro work as efficient mounted upside down? If so what adjustments would be necessary?

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
I have one mounted upside down. Just make sure the servos are going in the right direction. If not, reverse them by using the gyro.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I have another question...will the gyro work as efficient mounted upside down? If so what adjustments would be necessary?

Gary
it doesent really matter how you mount it as long as the wires are facing either to the front or back of the a/c and the bottom of the module is attached to the a/c. if we define x axis to be along your fueselage, y is along your wings and z axis is along the vertical towards the ground, basically the gyro will sense change of direction on y and z axis and rotation on x (that's aelerons). basically your module needs to oppose the sudden movement without jerking the control surfaces. if your control surface is not opposing the movement direction you need to reverse direction on the stabiliser. if there IS a lot servo jerking about then reduce gain. best way to do this is to setups orientation then start with low or (zero) gain and gradually increase
ckleanth is offline Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
I have one mounted upside down. Just make sure the servos are going in the right direction. If not, reverse them by using the gyro.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
it doesent really matter how you mount it as long as the wires are facing either to the front or back of the a/c and the bottom of the module is attached to the a/c. if we define x axis to be along your fueselage, y is along your wings and z axis is along the vertical towards the ground, basically the gyro will sense change of direction on y and z axis and rotation on x (that's aelerons). basically your module needs to oppose the sudden movement without jerking the control surfaces. if your control surface is not opposing the movement direction you need to reverse direction on the stabiliser. if there IS a lot servo jerking about then reduce gain. best way to do this is to setups orientation then start with low or (zero) gain and gradually increase
I appreciate the info. I have (2) V2s coming from HK and I plan to install one in my Sky Surfer. The best centralized location I have found is on the bottom of the ele/rud guide tube support. I'll cut an access hatch in the belly so I'll have access to the controls. Should work fine!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:29 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,606 Posts
Gary just for info, these simple rate gyro stabilizers work just fine off centre. You don't have to be too precise about placing it in the "middle" since they respond to angular acceleration.

Mine is attached normal way up to a piece of ply which sits across the back of the cockpit opening in my Bixler. And on the cockpit floor behind the battery in the EasyStarII. Means you can lift it out to work in the opening and it is fully accessible to change plugs/ adjust pots etc. Nothing wrong with your arrangement - just another way to do it that gives less hassles if you have to make any changes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer View Post
I appreciate the info. I have (2) V2s coming from HK and I plan to install one in my Sky Surfer. The best centralized location I have found is on the bottom of the ele/rud guide tube support. I'll cut an access hatch in the belly so I'll have access to the controls. Should work fine!

Gary
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:37 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Gary just for info, these simple rate gyro stabilizers work just fine off centre. You don't have to be too precise about placing it in the "middle" since they respond to angular acceleration.

Mine is attached normal way up to a piece of ply which sits across the back of the cockpit opening in my Bixler. And on the cockpit floor behind the battery in the EasyStarII. Means you can lift it out to work in the opening and it is fully accessible to change plugs/ adjust pots etc. Nothing wrong with your arrangement - just another way to do it that gives less hassles if you have to make any changes.
Good to know that John. Thanks!

Gary
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:07 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixFLYER View Post
I have not achieved a good gain position yet and removing the cable from the stabilizer and putting them straight to the receiver require more work then just put all the gains to zero. So if gains to zero is like removing the unit i think i will just set them to zero.

My only fear is thet even with gains to zero in flight it will fight my inputs.
Tried to set all the gyros to zero but servos still move a little!
I removed it!
matrixFLYER is online now Find More Posts by matrixFLYER
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Better to burn out, than fade
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2012
29 Posts
Tried to search this threat to answer my question, but it's too long....

Q: Is there a way to connect a Chanel from RX to enable/disable stabilizer during fligh?
SlimTom is offline Find More Posts by SlimTom
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:09 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,092 Posts
V2 disable it with a switch. If you disable V1 there will be no power going to the servos....................not good
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimTom View Post
Tried to search this threat to answer my question, but it's too long....

Q: Is there a way to connect a Chanel from RX to enable/disable stabilizer during fligh?
Yes, but only version 2 which is the one currently available.
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Better to burn out, than fade
Slovenia, Ljubljana
Joined Sep 2012
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post
V2 disable it with a switch. If you disable V1 there will be no power going to the servos....................not good
V1/2=? has this to do with AVR connectors on the unit?

If I would know how to do this, I wouldn't be asking
SlimTom is offline Find More Posts by SlimTom