Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
could somebody please explain about trimming the model before adding the gyro

If my understanding of the way these things work is correct then they respond to rotation so having the servos off their centre should not affect the gyro operation. Have I missed something ?

I know how to trim an aeroplane and often adjust it to suit conditions ie more down trim on a windy day or adding down trim when landing through a turbulent zone. Adding a few clicks on the rudder to hold a thermal are all things I do routinely

Is it OK to use subtrims when doing the set up?

or having some trim in permanently

Do we have to set each gyro controlled channel at 1.56 ms ? (servo centre)
if so why ?

The servos on my model are not at the centre of their travel at neutral stick input as I have both sub trim and conventional trim dialed in. Is this why the gyro has slowed them down and caused a drop in servo resolution ?.

Thanks terry
I think what he meant was that the plane should be flown and trimmed to fly nice (ie will fly straight and level at half throttle), before playing around with the gyro.

The gyro can mask the symtoms of an out of trim plane so not the best idea to maiden a plane with the gyro active.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:55 AM
Montreal, Canada
Joined Dec 2002
20 Posts
As Dave-merc explains on the video do not forget to reverse the DIP switch for the Aux channel to make it work. At least in my Futaba radio....

For the problem of mounting the gyro: 3M all weather is good and cushions well but sticks to dear life. So put scotch tape to the back of the gyro before applying the 3M and it will be no problem on removing it.
beto9 is offline Find More Posts by beto9
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:24 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,012 Posts
I suspect you could mount a gyro in a slow stick with just about anything.
Scotch tape, masking tape, paper clips, baling wire, about anything the SS will lift.
But I think the idea of the gyro mount tape is stop vibrations from reaching the gyro. The SS probably does not produce much vibration. A 30 or 40 oz. parkflyer with a large 3 or 4 cell 3000/4000 mil pack with a 500 watt motor and a 12 X 8 prop is "probably" going to produce a certain amount vibration that foam tape "may" not isolate.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:34 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,578 Posts
Thanks Dave

I thought I was missing something.

I mounted my gyro on some thin foam double sided tape and its also a good tight fit between the fuse side and the receiver.

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:35 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Minimog,

Good point re not mounting the gyro with velcro. What about thick double-sided sticky tape, like the kind used for mounting pictures and servos? Maybe several thicknesses? Where do you get gyro tape or green zeal tape?

Jim R.
Here you go :-)
http://www.readyheli.com/Z8006-Zeal-...t_p_36541.html
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:38 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I velcroed the gyro to the bottom of the fuse, with another velcro strap completely around the gyro. It doesn't move in any direction.

Gord.
That could be the issue in some instances, if the gyro is strapped on to tight all the vibrations from the fuse are transferred to the gyro. Trick is to mount it so it won't come loose but also give it enough vibration dampening. The wires leading to and from the unit should have some strain relief so that they are not the ones transferring the vibrations either.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:43 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dave

I thought I was missing something.

I mounted my gyro on some thin foam double sided tape and its also a good tight fit between the fuse side and the receiver.

Regards

Terry
Having other equipment (rx, lipo, bec, esc, etc...) rubbing against the ORX could be inducing vibrations, best to have the ORX not touch anything at all. Only point of contact should be the tape used to secure it (the wires are an unfortunate necessity)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,578 Posts
I dont think vibration is a problem on my aircraft, its a powered glider and I don't see any difference in gyro performance between powered flight and the glide.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Sorry for another sorta off topic post. I need 2 male to male servo adapters. Anyone have some to sell?
Thanks.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,743 Posts
The straps around the gyro are not tight. Just tight enough to keep the gyro from departing in those violent outside snaps. Velcro does make a very good shock absorber.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
1,324 Posts
Quote:
could somebody please explain about trimming the model before adding the gyro

If my understanding of the way these things work is correct then they respond to rotation so having the servos off their centre should not affect the gyro operation. Have I missed something ?

I know how to trim an aeroplane and often adjust it to suit conditions ie more down trim on a windy day or adding down trim when landing through a turbulent zone. Adding a few clicks on the rudder to hold a thermal are all things I do routinely

Is it OK to use subtrims when doing the set up?

or having some trim in permanently

Do we have to set each gyro controlled channel at 1.56 ms ? (servo centre)
if so why ?

The servos on my model are not at the centre of their travel at neutral stick input as I have both sub trim and conventional trim dialed in. Is this why the gyro has slowed them down and caused a drop in servo resolution ?.

Thanks terry
if there is turbulence, the gyro will move the servo with an amplitude proportinal to the gain you set the gyro. this movement will be additional to the stick input. the reason to setup the a/c and trim it mechanically is to avoid the servo to bottom or at least minimize the occurance of this happening prolonging the life of the servo. tx trim should be minimal (ideally zero) as this is essentially stick input shifitng the zero point and available movement of your servo thus limiting the real available travel of your servo in a particular direction...
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
Sorry for another sorta off topic post. I need 2 male to male servo adapters. Anyone have some to sell?
Thanks.
I have every thing to make you a set of any length you want. Pay for shipping that's all :-)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:14 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Thanks for the offer mini. Looking through my bin, I found enough bits to piece together a couple that will tide me over until my next HK order. Thanks anyway!
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:17 PM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
No problem. If any one needs some let me know. Not looking to make money but would like to re-coupe the cost.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:40 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2011
382 Posts
Hi guys! I have a j3 cub to maiden for the third time. The first was tail heavy, the second (with stabilizer orange rx v1) i don't know exactly. The third i would like to "remove" the stabilizer but i already fitted it in so i was asking to myself:

can i just put all the three gyro to zero to deactivate the stabilizer or it will affect the flight anyway??? So i can test the plane and TRIM it!
matrixFLYER is offline Find More Posts by matrixFLYER