HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2012, 05:53 AM
Norwich
Joined Feb 2008
58 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
glad to here flight reports are coming in and are good.will try mine next week,of to a rc show at the weekend and will pick up the cables i need.
where did you find one in the UK? I've been looking for one..
9000rpm is offline Find More Posts by 9000rpm
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:22 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
The AVR-ISP plugs are for downloading/updating new firmware. It usually means there's an ATMEL chip controlling things.

This could be a great unit for the DIY crowd since it means people can write firmware independently and have it easily downloadable without having to solder programming pins onto the thing.
Thank you!
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Aug 10, 2012, 12:13 PM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9000rpm View Post
where did you find one in the UK? I've been looking for one..
which do you mean rc show or the cabling.
im getting mine probably at one of the vender's tents or could get them here
http://www.modelaccessories.co.uk/se...fly-leads.html
the show is the Elvington Model Air Show at York
http://www.largemodelassociation.com.../elvington.htm
sssss18 is offline Find More Posts by sssss18
Last edited by sssss18; Aug 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:28 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
Right back from some gusty 15mph test flights armed witha screw driver to adjust the gain.......

All went well until I upped the gain on the aileron channel a bit.

WARNING too much gain will give wild diverging oscillations that can become damaging to the structure.

I got these on the roll axis and whilst pretty wild if not stopped the forces were manageable on the plane however if this had been on the pitch axis I think it would have snapped the tail or stripped a gear on the servo, they build quick and wild.

They stop as soon as you move the stick but I could only stop it from restarting by constantly moving the stick and landing with wings a rocking.......lol

Turned the gain back down and she went back to well behaved.

As an experienced flyer I can sense when I am in control and when it is and its an odd feeling......but it made the flight a lot smoother. In landings it did seem I was fighting with it instead of letting it do its stuff but hey. The gusts were bigger today and the very lightweight Corsair was being bumped around a lot but kept its composure and was always pointing were I put it not the wind.

I then put the gain down quite a bit to just give a small helping hand and I felt more in control yet it was still flying smoother than without in the 15mph wind.

Over the weekend will try to get some keyfobcam footage with and without.

Watch the gain and go experiment....

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:13 PM
Outstanding in the field of...
New Haven, CT., USA
Joined Feb 2006
2,074 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I have a couple of EDF's...this should be perfect for...
I've got an HET F-16A, so I'd be interested to know if this module can be expected to do it's 'magic' for models configured with 'elevons' as their only flight control....besides throttle, of course.
Max Headspeed is offline Find More Posts by Max Headspeed
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,757 Posts
The microprocessor is an ATMega 168PA AU1133
and the gyro chip is the Invensense ITG 3205 Q4M284-J2 E1 1133K

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
The AVR-ISP plugs are for downloading/updating new firmware. It usually means there's an ATMEL chip controlling things.

This could be a great unit for the DIY crowd since it means people can write firmware independently and have it easily downloadable without having to solder programming pins onto the thing.
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:14 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Any chance someone's got some good pics of the PCB?
I'm wondering if off-board gains could be implemented, as per heli gyros...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:16 AM
Joined May 2010
1,864 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Dont be under and misconception about this unit it is only a rate gyro

It isnt an autopilot.

It isnt a wing leveller, or return to level flight device.

This works by trying to keep the plane in the attitude you left it, if that attitude is heading straight down thats what will happen, but smoother.

There are down sides to 3 axis gyros. The box has no idea what speed you are going so for instance in level flight slow the plane down and the gyro will try and keep the nose up in level flight.............slow down too much and the plane will stall and drop the nose but the gyro will be adding more up elevator to try and keep the nose up, exactly the wrong thing to do in a stall. On take off a tail dragger design will lift the tail as speed increases, the gyro will try and keep the tail on the floor unless you add a little DOWN elevator to get the tail up.........ok for those used to that but unnatural for a learner. On a trainer plane that has built in stability and will return to level flight if you let go of the sticks the gyro will try and resist the natural stability and keep it in the attitude you were at before you released the sticks........You actually will end up 'flying' the plane a bit more to overcome the gyro.........In wind the plane will still be blown around and change ALTITUDE but its ATTITUDE should remain stable, ie it may be blown up/down/sideways put should keep the wings level and be keeping its heading. but for things like FPV where you want a steady platform I can see it being great and will be its best use for me. I will try my keyfob cam when I get a chance.

Dave
I hear what ur saying Dave,,, I need to keep learning for a while longer before i use these i think...thanks..
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 11, 2012, 01:46 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,757 Posts
Have a look under the Files tab on the HK site. It's all there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Any chance someone's got some good pics of the PCB?
I'm wondering if off-board gains could be implemented, as per heli gyros...
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Here is what the thing look like neked.
There is no glue or anything else holding the board in the case. Just open the case up and the board falls out.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:38 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sssss18 View Post
going to put it in my parkzone t28 as its got plenty of room and it flys well so will be good as my test bed. then i may put it in a glider for windy days.
I have one of the competitions 3X Stabilizers in my T-28. The Eagle A3, it hit the market sooner than the OrangeRX stabilizer.
http://www.goodluckbuy.com/eagle-mic...a3.html?&sl=en
As you can see it is much more expensive. Anyway it does exactly the same job as the OrangeRX stabilizer, and it does it in the same way.
The easiest way for me to describe what it does, is it simply make your T-28 feel like you are flying a great big plane, because it is much less influenced by outside forces (wind), just like a much bigger (and heavier) plane.
Troutbum : I also have one of these mounted in a Albatros. It does the same for the Albatros as it does for the T-28. I also have another is a MINI ULTRA STICK. It makes that thing feel like I was flying my old 120 U STICK LITE. (RIP)
Rn
Last edited by A Rdnek; Aug 11, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 05:56 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
Got a chance to try this in a slope soaring glider this morning, 50" span aerobatic job with fiberglass fuz and foam wings so already a heavy model compared with the PZ foam stuff (which it makes feel heavier) . Mixed results, to get a real positive response that was visible in flight I had to increase the gain on all 3 axis to almost full at which point I didnt feel 100% in control. This shows up with things like you centre the sticks expecting the plane to do one thing but the gyros try to keep it doing what it was doing. Its just a re-learning curve for the model but its 20+ years old so I know it like the back of my hand but suddenly its a different plane to fly......this isnt a bad thing just different, just gotta get used to it. I still think that its best use will be in FPV where it should make the footage nice and smooth.

One thing I did notice was that when in a spin and you release the sticks, on this model it would take 1/2 a rev to stop and now its almost instant....a bit spooky and caught me out first time as I ended up stopping facing the wrong way and had to pull out inverted and then roll out. Mind you put it in spin CW and then stop and instantly go CCW looks cool..

I have a small depron own design 3ch Cub for light wind days and giving the odd lesson on I will try in that next if the wind dies down from 20mph+

Dave
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:10 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
******************WARNING***************

Make sure the unit corrects the movement in the right direction, this is very important check and double check this.

If you set this up with the corrections reversed you will increase the chance of a crash..........as it will increase the turn/pitch/roll not decrease it.

If you are not confident that you can set it up right dont fly, get someone to check it out for you who has the experience.

Right just got back from 6 lipos through my PZ Corsair fitted out with the 3-axis box

For the money this is great, the wind was not a lot but I picked a place to fly that was gusty and turbulent around some trees and bushes.

I have just had the most fun with this model ever......

The stock settings are way too sensitive, the servos chatter with it on the ground so I wound them back until the chatter stopped.

Talk about steady.... with flaps down into wind she could hover hands off.........awesome makes it look sooo easy.

Landing approach was line her up flaps down and just user throttle stick to vary descent wings steady as a rock.

I was landing in spot 20' square............easy

I am shocked how effective it is, I have been flying 30 years and I am impressed

Not something I will use in every model but I am teaching my daughter and this will help get some stick time when usually she would be grounded

It does make a bit of a rats nest mind, I used 3 male to male leads and 3 extensions so a lot of cable to pack away.

The photo shows how much........may shorten some of the leads when I fit it something permanent.

Dave
Just edited my original post to include a warning as forgot to do so originally. I have added this after watching someone else get it all wrong. Two of us even told him it was set up wrong but he insisted he knew better.......guess what, the planes in a trash bag.........there is just no telling some people.......

Dave
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:16 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
That is very good advice. When my installation is complete and I am checking to see which way gyro correction is moving the surface. I watch the servo instead of the surface. For instance, I know I need the servo to "PULL" for up elevator, because that is the way airplane is built and set up. Now when testing the gyro response to the tail being tilted up quickly I should see the elevator respond in an upward movement. That mind be hard to see when watching the elevator, and much easier to see if watching the servo arm.
Works better for me, and my old eyes.
Rn
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:15 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Troutbum : I also have one of these mounted in a Albatros. It does the same for the Albatros as it does for the T-28. I also have another is a MINI ULTRA STICK. It makes that thing feel like I was flying my old 120 U STICK LITE. (RIP)
Rn
Well, I didn't get to try mine out in the Albatros, I got the plane built, took it out to the field for a few flights. Charged the Parkzone battery with the charger supplied with the BNF Alby.
Range check, nice smooth take off from freshly mowed grass.
At about 2-1/2 minutes into the flight, while making a low and slow pass, I could hear the motor pulsing. This told me to land real soon.
Climbed a bit to make the turn to land. At mid-turn, motor quit.
I tried to feather the throttle to re-gain power, and it worked some, but not enough airspeed to make a clean turn. Crashed into the trees at the end of the runway..
I wasn't ready for it to hit LVC so soon. Caught me by surprise.
Tore it up pretty bad.
I called Horizon and sent it back. We'll see...

I do have a Mini Ultra Stick that might get a stabilizer implant.
And my son STILL hasn't found time to try his Bixler equipped with the stabilizer unit.

Thanks for the pics.

Denny, aka Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum