HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:38 AM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Should be fine. The data sheet gives up to 5.5V.
cool then the HK usb link thingy should be fine
mind you all I'm after is to change the liniarly of the rates. I've requested from HK support to put the source for the firmware of the v1 &v2 module and the manual for for the v2. if more than one is asking HK might actually do something.

BTW for arduino boards does the nano have sufficient channels for rc applications or shall I get the mega? also any recommended shields for gyro accelerometers etc?
anyone knows where to get a cheap oscilloscope?
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 12:53 PM
Portugal, Lisboa, Cascais
Joined Sep 2012
149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post

3. i've connected an ISP cable to it and read the fuse/lock bits
lo=0xf7
hi=0xdf
ext=0xf9
lock=0xfc (urgh... LB2 = LB1 = 0, does that mean i need to erase the chip via HV programming?)
cal=0xffffff95

I was looking at the fuse calculator here

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

and the results are that Serial Programming and Data Downloading are enabled

Just have to go study AVR at the Lady ADA site

luis
lvale is offline Find More Posts by lvale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
cool then the HK usb link thingy should be fine
mind you all I'm after is to change the liniarly of the rates. I've requested from HK support to put the source for the firmware of the v1 &v2 module and the manual for for the v2. if more than one is asking HK might actually do something.

BTW for arduino boards does the nano have sufficient channels for rc applications or shall I get the mega? also any recommended shields for gyro accelerometers etc?
anyone knows where to get a cheap oscilloscope?
the nano and the mini pro are probably more suitable for RC since they are smaller than the regular arduino boards. the nano has a built in usb-serial converter and provides a isp connector, so it's more convenient, but also somewhat heavier and larger than the mini pro. i believe both boards expose the same set of IO and, importantly, the i2c bus. both also use the atmega processor, go for the atmega328 instead of the atmega168.

i've been using the nano atmega328 at 5v with a 5v capable mpu6050 sensor board (all from ebay) and they work great. an alternative is a mini pro atmega328 at 3.3v and sensor boards at 3.3v (which are more common than 5v variants). otherwise, you'll need a logic level converter to match the 5v atmega with 3.3v sensors. the orx-stab-v1 uses an atmega168 3.3v with a 3.3v itg3205.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvale View Post
I was looking at the fuse calculator here

http://www.engbedded.com/fusecalc/

and the results are that Serial Programming and Data Downloading are enabled

Just have to go study AVR at the Lady ADA site

luis
the site does not describe the LB bits, but it's still okay. i believe if LB1=LB2=0 AND reset is disabled, then the only way to erase/recover the chip is via HV programming. fortunately, reset is still enabled.

so then i tried to reflash my orx stab v1 today and it worked! the code is still not ready yet (there are differences between the ITG3205 in the orx-stab-v1 and the MPU6050 in my development board).

i still cannot figure out how to burn an arduino bootloader, but it turns out that i could just burn the generated hex file directly to the chip without a bootloader. as far as the arduino IDE is concerned, it is generating code targeted for a mini pro 5v 16mhz w/ atmega168 (i'm surprised that the chip can run at 16mhz with 3.3v).

so, i used
- a usbasp board set at 3.3v (i didn't want to try the HK board yet).
- avr extreme burner (great little program). updated the extreme burner config to understand the new signature for the atmega168pa device.

first, i have to erase the chip, which wipes out the flash and eeprom, as well as reset the LOCK bits to 0xFF.

then, i just programmed the generated hex file into the flash. the program just ran after that.

next, i tried to connect a 3.3v usb-serial converter to the board and i could see my debug messages printed (at 115200 rate).

i originally thought that orx-stab-v1 would be running at 8mhz since it is powered at 3.3v, but i believe it is actually running at 16mhz (LED flash rate and serial output rate seem to confirm that).
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,427 Posts
has anyone received the V2 board yet?

if so, can you please take a picture of the front and back sides of the PCB?

also, is the gain linear on the V2 (unlike the funky response on the V1)?

thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 02:22 PM
United States, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Jun 2010
150 Posts
Video on 3-Axis V2

These are my first impressions of the V2

HobbyKing RX3S OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer V2 (V-tail/Delta/AUX) Part 1 (5 min 50 sec)
david.merc is offline Find More Posts by david.merc
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:41 PM
If it has wings it will fly...
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Mar 2011
906 Posts
Quote:
the nano and the mini pro are probably more suitable for RC since they are smaller than the regular arduino boards. the nano has a built in usb-serial converter and provides a isp connector, so it's more convenient, but also somewhat heavier and larger than the mini pro. i believe both boards expose the same set of IO and, importantly, the i2c bus. both also use the atmega processor, go for the atmega328 instead of the atmega168.

i've been using the nano atmega328 at 5v with a 5v capable mpu6050 sensor board (all from ebay) and they work great. an alternative is a mini pro atmega328 at 3.3v and sensor boards at 3.3v (which are more common than 5v variants). otherwise, you'll need a logic level converter to match the 5v atmega with 3.3v sensors. the orx-stab-v1 uses an atmega168 3.3v with a 3.3v itg3205.
cheers mate, bty have you seen this little baby?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27195
20 usd is a bit pricy for an adaptor but it would be a cool tool to have if you dont have an isp connector on the board
has anyone seen it cheaper?
ckleanth is online now Find More Posts by ckleanth
Old Dec 15, 2012, 05:38 PM
chiba, Japan
Joined May 2004
57 Posts
Pcb

PCB Picture
Yashiro is offline Find More Posts by Yashiro
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
155 Posts
Anyone having the Aux ON/OFF system not working ...

If you have these V2 units and cannot get the gyro On/Off to work from your TX switch Aux channel - make certain that the gyro uppermost DIP switch - labelled 'AUX CTRL|GYO' is in the 'ON' position to the left side of the switch bank. (If using the Rev/Nor label directions, put it to the 'Rev' position. It seems the latest batch have all switches in the 'OFF' position as default.
Will work fine then.
HeliHaven is online now Find More Posts by HeliHaven
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:39 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Hi,

So it took me all afternoon to go thru this thread :-) I have extensive knowledge of how to setup gyros and 3 axis flight controllers. I come from the heli side of the hobby and I think I can help with a lot of problems I've been reading a lot of you have.

I don't have on these units yet (ordered 2 V2 today) so I will refrain from making any suggestions until I play with mine, but I have a few generic answers to some of your questions/problems.

When setting up a plane to be used with the stabilizer you must first fly the plane without it and trim mechanically, why? Because you can't sub-trim or trim a gyro, it will just think you're giving it a direction movement (ie. pushing the stick). Anyone that has setup a heli know this, we all setup tail gyros in rate mode with enough mechanical deflection to keep tail from drifting.

When doing turns on a plane you can no longer make them with just ail/ele, now you have to give it rudder inputs (as you would have to in a heli). I'm not saying it won't turn but it won't look right.

That's all I can add for now, I'm really looking forward to getting this unit as I have a few warbirds (P47 and P51) I don't enjoy flying because they're a handful on takeoff/landing. Mostly it's because I lack the skills to do it properly.

Cheers
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Last edited by Minimog; Dec 16, 2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia, SA, Modbury Heights
Joined Feb 2012
829 Posts
Quote:
has anyone received the V2 board yet?

if so, can you please take a picture of the front and back sides of the PCB?

also, is the gain linear on the V2 (unlike the funky response on the V1)?

thanks
I ordered two units the day I got the email of their release a couple of weeks back to avoid epic out of stocks as per the original unit.

I finally got around to testing them a little this morning. I can confirm that the gain controls are so far from linear its not funny I swear those pots have more expo than my mate flying hardcore 3D does!!! There is just about zero change in the reaction of the gyros from minimum position (7 o'clock) until about 2-3 o'clock. Then change comes in at around 1/32 of a turn.

Has anyone seen a V2 manual yet? I'm looking at putting one of them into a funjet to keep me stable at full throttle passes very close to the ground. Obviously the V1 manual doesn't have anything about elevon/vtail mixing so I'm using a bit of trial and error at this stage. One thing that did strike me as interesting this morning is that one of the servos in the funjet (hitec 5065mg) was sketching all over the place when plugged into the gyro and the other one was quite normal. This was the case for the gyro switched to normal or elevon settings. Having said that, does anyone know if I still need to have elevon mixing in the Tx or does the gyro take care of that when elevon is selected? I didn't get the time to try that one today. I was curious if that could have been the cause of my jittering servo (gain control made no difference and it worked fine plugged directly into the Rx).
Socratous is offline Find More Posts by Socratous
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:13 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socratous View Post
I finally got around to testing them a little this morning. I can confirm that the gain controls are so far from linear its not funny I swear those pots have more expo than my mate flying hardcore 3D does!!! There is just about zero change in the reaction of the gyros from minimum position (7 o'clock) until about 2-3 o'clock. Then change comes in at around 1/32 of a turn.
That's very disappointing Wish they had added the ability to control gain from tx. I wouldn't even mind having to use 3 separate channels to individually adjust gains, I know this would mean a 4 channel plane requiring a 7 channel rx.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 04:23 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckleanth View Post
cheers mate, bty have you seen this little baby?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=27195
20 usd is a bit pricy for an adaptor but it would be a cool tool to have if you dont have an isp connector on the board
has anyone seen it cheaper?
I added one of those to my order
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:25 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashiro View Post
PCB Picture
thanks for posting the pictures!

this looks great, both ISP and serial signals are exposed. will probably need to build an adapter (using a wooden peg and servo extensions) to clip onto the ISP edge connectors. my V2 order is enroute.

hopefully HK doesn't lock up the chip from reprogramming like some of the ESCs. the V1s can be reprogrammed so far.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Aug 2011
155 Posts
[QUOTE=Socratous;23540087
I finally got around to testing them a little this morning. I can confirm that the gain controls are so far from linear its not funny I swear those pots have more expo than my mate flying hardcore 3D does!!! There is just about zero change in the reaction of the gyros from minimum position (7 o'clock) until about 2-3 o'clock. Then change comes in at around 1/32 of a turn.[/QUOTE]

I have been playing with three of the second batch of V2 units that were available and found that the gains on the pots are much better than the V1 version. However, they were as you say until I set my Aux channel end points to 50% on and 50% off. The improvement was remarkable and the pots are now actually much much more linear.
Also, when I had initially set the Aux end points to 0% and 100% I got a lot of judder on the servos with stick inputs. The 50% 50% settings cured that instantly.
HeliHaven is online now Find More Posts by HeliHaven