HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:56 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
I agree, these should be used just other accepted gizmos, like computer radios, dual rates etc. there is a guy around here who crys wolf every time you say gyro but has just spent 1000s on a Futaba top of the range radio....

What i would say is that you still need to learn to fly without...... Just in case it fails.

Over the years i have seen some incredible saved planes due to knowing what makes them fly and how, the best was a rudder elevator biplane that lost rudder and elevator in flight but the guy spent 20 mins getting it back from way downwind using just throttle, it climbed and turned on higher settings, landed it at his feet. Some of the best stress flying I ever saw, sadly the guy has passed away some time ago so I will name him his name was Ken Phillips an ex army gunner he was a natural still think of him when out flying he would have loved all these electric models.

Dave.
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
On my 3D Zoombi and flash, I had to back off the expo all the way as the gyro more or less takes over that task. They were just too mushy with it working. If you've flown with too much expo, you know what I mean. I was also able to move the CG back much further than normal. for even more violent aerobatics. Yet when you let the sticks go, it locks in like on rails.in whatever direction you desire. I'd be sceptical about taking it out with a switch at these settings while flying. Two more of the later v2 versions just came in the mail and will be picked up tomorrow for further experimenting. One will go into a scratchbuilt VTO Pogo that needs the elevon setting.
Don't know why age keeps creeping in as an excuse, as I'm a 76 yr. old codger. Still lots to learn.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,705 Posts
Your avatar doesn't look a day over 21
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:08 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Don't know why age keeps creeping in as an excuse, as I'm a 76 yr. old codger. Still lots to learn.
You're only as old as ya feel!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:20 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
His 21'st birthday is coming up... for the 4th time, or that 5th time?
But it sounds like he's still a spring chicken (Rooster) to me.
If I live another 30 years to reach your age 'flypaper 2', I'll be a very, very happy boy!

Did someone say off topic!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
Hanging out with the younger guys and teaching them how to fly keeps me young. Don't want to hang out with the old pharts.
As you say getting off topic.
This Pogo I'm working on, about the fourth one, is 3 ft. across, and fairly big to go in my van, so I made it so it folds up flat.

Gord.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:09 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
On my 3D Zoombi and flash, I had to back off the expo all the way as the gyro more or less takes over that task. They were just too mushy with it working. If you've flown with too much expo, you know what I mean..
That's interesting I'm on the verge of chucking my V1 in the bin as it makes my Easy star mushy but doesnt do much to stabilise the model. If its calm then I dont need the stabiliser and if windy the model still gets chucked about. All I'm trying to do is get a more stable platform for aerial photography. I'll take out the small amount of expo I've dialed in and give it one last try. But so far I'm unimpressed

Regarding the used of "gizmos" to aid flying I don't care what the other flyers choose to put in their aeroplanes provided it doesnt compromise flight safety or make too much noise.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:32 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
Hi Terry: You say you don't get much stabilizing affect. I wonder if it doesn't have enough sensitivity. When I set mine up, I kept moving it up a bit at a time till the surface started to oscilate from being over sensitive, then backed it off enough to quit. I did this for each surface individually. I found I needed more on the ails than I thought, and less on the the rudder and elev. Takes quite a while to get dialed in, but worth it in the end.

Gord.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:39 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
Yes I found it took a little time to get it just right as well. And then when I swapped plane it needed doing all over again.

Dave
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvale View Post
I was refering to this

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...occessors.html

on this one can remove the jumper J1 and use the stabiliser self powered thus eliminating all possible power issues

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2X365809X5.pdf

interesting. i think i have one of those too.

do you know if atmega168pa running at 3.3v would be 5v tolerant? (since this usbasp would be using 5v levels for the mosi/miso/reset signals).
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,735 Posts
I've been slowly upping the gain and now have the pots at about 3 o clock and the control surfaces move to about half of full deflection when I rotate the model sharply by hand.

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:41 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,050 Posts
You have it right in the ballpark now Terry. You just need to fly it to fine tune it. Takes very, very little turning of the dial once you are that close.

Gord.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 12:30 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,320 Posts
Yeah microscopic amounts.....lol. its one of the things I am hoping is better on the V2 but mine seem to be attached to a pidgeon........weeks and weeks.

Dave
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Oct 2008
8 Posts
V2 Manual

Hi,

where can i get the V2 manual?
could only find the V1 manual....

BR, Martin
MaOb is offline Find More Posts by MaOb
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
do you know if atmega168pa running at 3.3v would be 5v tolerant? (since this usbasp would be using 5v levels for the mosi/miso/reset signals).
Should be fine. The data sheet gives up to 5.5V.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis