HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:05 PM
Chasin' that Neon Rainbow
Australia, QLD, Grantham
Joined Oct 2012
2,963 Posts
Just ordered a couple for myself and I made a mockup of it to check size and it is tiny.
Grantham Kid is offline Find More Posts by Grantham Kid
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:17 AM
Philippines, Central Luzon, City of San Fernando
Joined Aug 2012
33 Posts
now that s-cks! my version 1 is still in the mail and now a version 2 is already available.
voltzmd is offline Find More Posts by voltzmd
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:21 PM
Portugal, Lisboa, Cascais
Joined Sep 2012
507 Posts
So now that there is a v2 of the stabiliser, that supposedly has the same hardware as the v1, the only difference must be the software.

This opens up the possibility of "upgrading" a v2 firmware running on the first controller?

Has anyone with knowledge of Atmel programming "looked" at this ?
lvale is online now Find More Posts by lvale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:01 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
Well, after an eternity of waiting for the Eagle Tree unit I gave up and ordered the Orange V2.
A decision you will regret $18 worth plus shipping if you ever fly a plane with the Guardian 2D/3D to see the difference.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Dec 03, 2012, 12:54 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,768 Posts
I suppose, but I had money tied up since August at Hobby King, so I decided that with the V2 and the option to remotely shut off " what the heck".
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:47 PM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Aug 2001
328 Posts
I installed one of the V1 flight stabilizers yesterday. (I was a bit surprised to see that V2 is out already, so my V1 must be one of the last shipped. lol.)

I noticed that sometimes when I plug in the motor battery and power up the unit (RX is powered through the ESC's BEC), it does not send through the signals from the receiver. The servos power up properly and react to the gyros, but it is completely oblivious to any signal from the TX. As the 3 axis gyro draws its power through the receiver, it is obvious that power is running through the RX. Unplugging and replugging in the motor battery seems to alleviate the problem.

Has anybody else experienced a similar problem? Should I be concerned that this will happen in flight? I enjoy playing with the system but this is a balsa plane instead of a foamie so I am a bit concerned.

The plane uses a JR PCM receiver on 72 mHz that otherwise is absolutely bulletproof.
BTerry is online now Find More Posts by BTerry
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:33 AM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,232 Posts
BTerry,

I have two V1 stabs, and both exhibit the same problem that you found: one or more channels do not respond to transmitter commands, but they do respond to the gyro. I wonder if connecting the battery to the gyro, which will then pass power back to the receiver, might correct the problem.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is offline Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Feb 2011
190 Posts
I was able to try out the HobbyKing Orange RX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer Gyro on my F4U Corsair. I know, I know. It may seem like I am cheating, but I have learned that I just want to be able to fly a plane and just relax. Besides, if the B2 Spirit pilots have computers to assist them, why can't I?

Back on topic, I do not really treat this gyro as an auto pilot. I view it more of a co-pilot when flying.

For starters, it DOES compensates for the wind. However, it may tend to oscillate a bit. This gyro is at its peak when I try to take off or land. The 3-Axis FS helps me keep the plane aligned to the runway and keeping the wings level. This thing really takes a load off my shoulders whenever I take off or land. As you have seen from the video, our field resembles a carrier. And having this gyro helps me stabilize the plane when I come in from a steep glide slope.

Although I did notice that the gains are not linear. The gyro wants to be set at the 2 o clock position with this plane. In my video, the plane started to wobble as I tried a high speed pass.

Asides from that, I am happy with my purchase of the HobbyKing 3-Axis Flight Stabilization Gyro. Definitely worth every cent.

Dynam F4U Corsair with Orange Flight Stab
HobbyKing Orange RX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer Gyro System Test (3 min 51 sec)

Durafly A-1 Skyraider with Orange Flight Stab
Durafly A-1 Skyraider Fly bys (1 min 0 sec)
shadowbreaker is offline Find More Posts by shadowbreaker
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:42 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Shadowbreaker,

Wow, that is lovely sealed tarmac and possibly field you have there.
Can't see too much of from that first video, but it's just a shame it appears to have been rather neglected recently going by the the surrounding grass not being mowed and a few weeds growing up through the strip near the end. A lot would love to a sealed runway like that, but on the other hand a well maintained grass strip can come kind of close.

That aside, that was some nice smooth flying you did there testing the Orange 3 axis gyro.
I guess that says a bit for you, plane and the gyro. - all working together nicely!

However like a bunch us of here, isn't it damned annoying to buy a couple of Orange Gyro's (I complained/addressed it's faults - mainly that V1 did not have a way of turning it on/off remotely) and find HK release an updated version only weeks later with the faults addressed - Arrghhhh!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:36 PM
Vancouver, BC
Joined Aug 2009
2,155 Posts
Just saw this and bought a V2 stabilizer to go with my new HK small Icon A5 that I picked up from the PO yesterday! Should be a winning combo!
Firehawk989 is offline Find More Posts by Firehawk989
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:51 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,593 Posts
Anyone with a V1 also have an AVR programmer?
It would be great if they were the same hardware, and all that needs doing is reflashing with the V2 firmware...
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:10 PM
Portugal, Lisboa, Cascais
Joined Sep 2012
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Anyone with a V1 also have an AVR programmer?
It would be great if they were the same hardware, and all that needs doing is reflashing with the V2 firmware...
I have an AVR Programmer and a V1 stabiliser. Where/how to start ?

luis
lvale is online now Find More Posts by lvale
Old Dec 04, 2012, 09:53 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
It looks like the V2 and V1 hardware are different. Different layout and different pin count on the connectors.
Mine is on order so I'll make an updated manual for the new one.
Hopefully the gain pot issue is fixed.

Nice feature to me is the on/off capability. This makes it compeditive with the Eagle A3 Pro cause I think the HH feature of the A3 is not desirable.
BUT NOT COMPEDITIVE with the Eagle Tree guardian which is a higher level of product and support.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:58 AM
Joined Feb 2011
190 Posts
@Fugitive I apologize for the video, we only had our iPhones at hand to take the video with. In due time, I will soon be able to capture every flight with a DSLR. As for the field, yes the runway is crap. It is really bumpy and I find it short. Quite difficult landing too. The stupid mound to the right and the gas station on the left really makes it hard to fly here.

As for the airstrip maintenance, well.. lets just say that its not being maintained properly. Most of the fliers here focus on 3D profile planes and RC Buggys :|. Well I can't complain its quite expensive to resurface and pave the runway.

And yes I'm also pissed at the fact that the V2 Orange gyro came out. At least you had yours for weeks. I've only had it for 4 days.
shadowbreaker is offline Find More Posts by shadowbreaker
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:30 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbreaker View Post
And yes I'm also pissed at the fact that the V2 Orange gyro came out. At least you had yours for weeks. I've only had it for 4 days.
Agreed THAT would be VERY annoying.
In any case I'm going buy only ONE V2 with my next order, in case they bring out a V3 a week later.

Understood about the runway now.
I guess I'm spoiled at my club as there are a few members who enjoy maintaining the field/strip almost more than actually flying!

There was nothing wrong your video, I liked it, and the fact it was recorded using a phone makes it even more impressive!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill