HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,507 Posts
Good for you. I ended up with a little more gain on the ails and a little less on the rudder and elev., but it does depend on the individual plane. I have very much throw on the elev and rudder, which may be the reason for not needing much gain on the gyro.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:05 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post
Walt,

I hooked up my SuperDecathlon BL as a 2-channel system with the ORX, and used roll and pitch as my axes. Mine is a rudder/elevator system on the plane, with the rudder run by the aileron channel.

Therefore, for my 2-channel control, I used the aileron/elevator channels for my system - works very well!

Skycadet/Darren
Thanks Darren.
By looking up the SD BL, I see that it has a fair amount of dihedral, so I think it will match my situation.
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:51 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Hi Walt!

My pleasure. FYI, I felw my SD BL yesterday in nearly 30 km/hj winds (variable over 45 degree direction) and the ORX flew suoerbly with ALMOST no input from me except when touching down.

Overall, I am very happy with this system... it seems to handle the wind reasonably well, and allows for really nice control on approach. I flew yesterday in nearly 25-30km/h variable winds, and was able to fly really well, including TD - no way without the ORX 3AS - I'd have been fulltime on the stix!

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:43 PM
One with the machine
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Oct 2010
389 Posts
Mine keeps browning out somehow then I get dead stick. Total POC I don't trust it one bit
SuperFPVflyer is offline Find More Posts by SuperFPVflyer
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:03 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
I recently flew this weekend in gusty 18-20mph winds. Directions varied over about 15 degrees or more, and wind was up and down a lot that day. The SD BL with ORX 3AS handled it very well! No issues whatsoever, and only minimal inputting on the stix was needed most of the time.

SFPV, the only thing I can come up with on your end is that either the unit is somehow faulty, or your BEC on board the plane is nearing its limits. While not a magical unit, it should do well in many applications, and most folks here find it works well. brownout is a scary thing! Maybe recheck your current draws on the system...

Good luck

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperFPVflyer View Post
Mine keeps browning out somehow then I get dead stick. Total POC I don't trust it one bit
Your ESC has to have a fully rated switching bec or use a seperate bec. It makes all the difference. The continous operation can be a stress.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:31 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hear you are having problems, if you let us know what airborne system you are using we may be able to help or at least avoid getting into similar trouble

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:21 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,507 Posts
I would suspect the BEC with not a high enough amp rating. If I push mine to hard with aerobatics, I had the ESC shut off from overheating. Soon as it cools off, after about 6 seconds, it turns back on again. I don't push it so hard and it's fine. I've had it happen before and replaced the speed controller with a higher amp BEC with no problems after that. One would suspect a rcvr brown out but the testing showed otherwise.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:32 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
Any idea what the idle current for the Rx is?
The micro inside it shouldn't brown out until about 4v, so it seems a pretty large draw to pull it down that far?
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:38 AM
Australia, QLD, Deagon
Joined Oct 2011
53 Posts
Quote:
One might suspect from your avatar that you run FVP servos, plus control-surface servos... and then the added load of stabiliser, and constantly activated control-surface servos 'stabilising'your FVP rig.....

...did you allow for this load in your choice of bec, Rx-power supply ?

omnivorr is offline Find More Posts by omnivorr
Old Nov 28, 2012, 01:22 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,005 Posts
Why does anyone run an airplane, the size we are dealing with, with numerous servos, without a UBEC? GEE WIZ, you can you can buy a good running UBEC these days for $10.
Rn
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...Battery/Detail
A Rdnek is online now Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:28 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,505 Posts
Shoot, you can pick up a properly designed 5A switching BEC for less than $10:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...V_5A_UBEC.html

A gyro constantly works the servos hard, even when your hands are off the sticks. That's why it's possible to take a plane that works fine with manual control and a built in BEC, then add an Orange stabilizer to it and the BEC smokes. The more powerful and fast your servos, the bigger the difference in current will be with/without stabilization. BEC's are so cheap these days, pretty much anything with gyros should have one... except maybe the small indoor stuff where just 1A can smoke all 4 servos anyways.

Kev

[edit: One more thing on this subject... you guys doing FPV should be concerned with high current ground loops. I NEVER EVER use a built in BEC on an FPV rig, especially if it has a current sensor.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 02:37 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysis View Post
Any idea what the idle current for the Rx is?
The micro inside it shouldn't brown out until about 4v, so it seems a pretty large draw to pull it down that far?
My ArdupilotMega2.5 only draws 200-300mA, and that thing has a bigger Amtel chip, barometer, 6x gyros, ACC, compass, etc. Not sure on the exact draw, but the ORx stabilizer uses common parts; looking at similar controllers using the same parts (kk boards), it probably draws around 100-200mA.

99.9% of the time it is excess servo load that causes brownout problems with FC's.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:31 PM
Life begins at transition
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined May 2007
3,580 Posts
That makes sense. I was wondering how a wee tiny little Mega8L (I'm guessing) could pull so much current.
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Nov 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
Prefectionist
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Mar 2007
1,294 Posts
Hobby King just posted a Version 2 that adds remote ON / OFF and V-Tail / Delta mixing.
creapyd is offline Find More Posts by creapyd