HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:32 PM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Rich, are you talking about only ele/rud as he is or are you talking about ele/rud/ale?
I am most interested in how to best hook it up with just two channels of control.
So Terry, please report on you next trial using roll axis connected to the rudder with no ale. on the plane.
It might help me.

Thanks,

Walt

I have no experience with anything other than the traditional ele/ail/rud set up.
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
Registered User
Terry Rigden's Avatar
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
I am most interested in how to best hook it up with just two channels of control.
So Terry, please report on you next trial using roll axis connected to the rudder with no ale. on the plane.
It might help me.

Thanks,

Walt
Walt

Will do but you might have to wait a bit as the weather is vile for the next few days.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:43 PM
Retired in NC
Rich in ILM's Avatar
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Walt

Will do but you might have to wait a bit as the weather is vile for the next few days.

Terry

Is vile better or worse than horrid? <G>
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:45 PM
Registered User
Terry Rigden's Avatar
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
Either way it's unflyable.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:22 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
SkyCadet's Avatar
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Walt,

I hooked up my SuperDecathlon BL as a 2-channel system with the ORX, and used roll and pitch as my axes. Mine is a rudder/elevator system on the plane, with the rudder run by the aileron channel.

Therefore, for my 2-channel control, I used the aileron/elevator channels for my system - works very well!

Skycadet/Darren
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 01:08 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Mounting Gyro upside down - problems

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to mount this gyro in my 1400mm Cub. Seeings the hatch is underneath i need to mount the Gyro upside down so its is hard fixed to the fuselage and the dials are still accessible. As it says in the manual and to my own logic this means the ailerons will be fine but the rudder and elevator need to be reversed (as it would if you're flying inverted).

No matter what channel reversing configuration I do though the Gyro continues to "correct" the wrong way on the elevator and rudder. For example to climb a plane you pull back on elevator stick. In static testing though with the tail dipping the gyro is sending the elevator in the upward direction which will obviously only emphasise the unwanted upward movement rather than iron it out. If the tail dips the elevator should go down.

Same with the rudder.

If I reverse the channels on the Gyro to make the gyro correct the right way then the actual stick movement on my TX is now reversed! I would have expected that channel reversing in the Tx changes the stick movement, and reversing on the Gyro would only reverse the gyro "corrections".

It doesn't seem the case. Am I missing something or have I got a dud gyro that corrects the wrong way on elevator and rudder?
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
Registered User
Terry Rigden's Avatar
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,545 Posts
If you reverse the gyro you have to reverse the channel on the transmitter as well. To check your gyro temporarily tape it on the model the right way up and see if it behaves.
you could come off the other side of the servo or move the control horn to the other side of the surface.

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:46 AM
Has Sloped Off
dav3uk's Avatar
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddockFlyer View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to mount this gyro in my 1400mm Cub. Seeings the hatch is underneath i need to mount the Gyro upside down so its is hard fixed to the fuselage and the dials are still accessible. As it says in the manual and to my own logic this means the ailerons will be fine but the rudder and elevator need to be reversed (as it would if you're flying inverted).

No matter what channel reversing configuration I do though the Gyro continues to "correct" the wrong way on the elevator and rudder. For example to climb a plane you pull back on elevator stick. In static testing though with the tail dipping the gyro is sending the elevator in the upward direction which will obviously only emphasise the unwanted upward movement rather than iron it out. If the tail dips the elevator should go down.

Same with the rudder.

If I reverse the channels on the Gyro to make the gyro correct the right way then the actual stick movement on my TX is now reversed! I would have expected that channel reversing in the Tx changes the stick movement, and reversing on the Gyro would only reverse the gyro "corrections".

It doesn't seem the case. Am I missing something or have I got a dud gyro that corrects the wrong way on elevator and rudder?
Once the gyro is set to correct the right way then check control surface response to the TX and adjust the TX reversers if needed to get correct control response then all should be well, some planes need reversing some dont. A couple of mine work with no messing about but one needs revers on the gyro and then the TX to get it back ok

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:06 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Once the gyro is set to correct the right way then check control surface response to the TX and adjust the TX reversers if needed to get correct control response then all should be well, some planes need reversing some dont. A couple of mine work with no messing about but one needs revers on the gyro and then the TX to get it back ok

Dave
I wish it repsoned the way you just mentioned. That's my problem though. Once the Gyro is set to correct the right way for the elevator and rudder the control response to those surfaces from the Tx is reversed. So I naturally adjust the Tx reversers which fixes the control surfaces but then the Gyro corrects the wrong way again. Vicious circle
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Shouldn't the Gyro reverser switches only reverse the gyro inputs not the whole Tx input to the control surface?
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:56 AM
Has Sloped Off
dav3uk's Avatar
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddockFlyer View Post
I wish it repsoned the way you just mentioned. That's my problem though. Once the Gyro is set to correct the right way for the elevator and rudder the control response to those surfaces from the Tx is reversed. So I naturally adjust the Tx reversers which fixes the control surfaces but then the Gyro corrects the wrong way again. Vicious circle
You may have to mount it the right way up then, could you mount it on the inside of the hatch, then when you take the hatch off it will be stuck to it so you will be able to adjust the gains
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
You may have to mount it the right way up then, could you mount it on the inside of the hatch, then when you take the hatch off it will be stuck to it so you will be able to adjust the gains
In the manual is does say it can be mounted either way. Look like they may be wrong.

You're right though, that's my next option to test. Only that hatch has come off before in flight and landing on 3 occasions. Not ideal for Gyro to come loose naturally. A few more magnets might be in order.

I'd definitely prefer it be upside down fixed within fuelage though. If anyone else happens to know if I maybe doing something wrong or if they've encountered the same problem let me know.

Cheers
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:25 AM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
Mine is mounted inverted on the bottom of my Zoombi and Flash works fine. Soon as I wire up the gyro, some of the controls were reversed, I set them properly with the trans settings, then set the gyro reversing to get the gyro to move the controls in the proper direction. This set some of the controls in the wrong direction. I reset these in the trans. and everything worked fine. Don't know if this is the proper sequence but it worked for me. If I lift the tail of the plane, the gyro makes the elevator go up, forcing the tail down, which is what you want.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Nov 23, 2012 at 05:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
@Gord

While you were posting this I tried it all again from scratch. Unplugged the lot and started again. I set the gains on the gyro to absolute max first so no mistaking gyro input movements. Then I flicked reversers on Gyro until all opertaing as they should. Then on Tx I reversed where necessary.

SUCCESS!

Why success this time. No idea! lol

Looking forward to a morning flight now!
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2012
18 Posts
Oh and yes I did set the gains on the gyro back to about 55% where they seem to behave modestly but enough at the same time. I imagine it would be impossible to fly at 100% input
PaddockFlyer is offline Find More Posts by PaddockFlyer
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 3 axis stabilizer by HK Early Electric Plane Talk 17 Nov 18, 2012 02:11 PM
New Product OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer 14g (advertised) nemoskull Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 7 Sep 21, 2012 09:50 PM
Discussion Eagle A3 Aeroplane Fixed-wing Micro Flight Controller Board W/ MEMS 3-axis gyro eyeinsky1 Aerial Photography 3 Jun 06, 2012 03:38 PM
Sold CPD-4 Co-Pilot 2 axis flight stabilization system ecampos FPV Equipment (FS/W) 6 Oct 26, 2011 01:34 PM
Discussion ******* 3 axis gyro stabilized video gimbal powerblimp Aerial Photography 10 Feb 23, 2006 06:00 AM