Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:13 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlenny View Post
Does anyone know if this would work on a 2-servo flying wing (combined ailerons/elevator)? The manual says it does but I don't quite get how the two servos are meant to be connected, presumably this board does the mixing? I guess for the price you just get it and try it out...
I dont think so, what manual are you looking at as the only one on here is for a quadcopter board?

I got mine this morning will solder up some male to male tonight and test in a HK Mosquito or a Dynam Catalina, both wag the tail a bit....

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 06:51 AM
Australia, TAS, Hobart
Joined Nov 2004
311 Posts
Way back near the top of this thread is a pdf link describing wing & copter setup but it didn't really go into the specifics (the HK page also mentions wings). Just was curious on TX mixer settings and servo connections, but really for $15 probably a no brainer. If it doesn't work can put on a quad later.
MrBlenny is offline Find More Posts by MrBlenny
Old Aug 09, 2012, 10:32 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
846 Posts
Quote:
Does anyone know if this would work on a 2-servo flying wing (combined ailerons/elevator)? The manual says it does but I don't quite get how the two servos are meant to be connected, presumably this board does the mixing?
That is not the manual for the ORx, this board does not support mixing. You want the i86AP for flying wing: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
I suppose you could use an external mixer between this ORx unit and the servos....? But you're probably better off buying the i86 for a few bux more.

Quote:
Way back near the top of this thread is a pdf link describing wing & copter setup but it didn't really go into the specifics (the HK page also mentions wings). Just was curious on TX mixer settings and servo connections, but really for $15 probably a no brainer. If it doesn't work can put on a quad later.
The manual that you refer to was for the i86AP which supports flying wing and V-tail. The HK page says nothing about flying wings, only FIXED WINGS The ORx stabilizer won't support delta, V,or quad with factory FW.

Guys - this is simply a 3 axis rate type gyro, nothing more....

as soon as mine comes in, I will scan the manual and post it here and in the files tab on HK site.
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 09, 2012, 01:28 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
That is not the manual for the ORx, this board does not support mixing. You want the i86AP for flying wing: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
I suppose you could use an external mixer between this ORx unit and the servos....? But you're probably better off buying the i86 for a few bux more.

The manual that you refer to was for the i86AP which supports flying wing and V-tail. The HK page says nothing about flying wings, only FIXED WINGS The ORx stabilizer won't support delta, V,or quad with factory FW.

Guys - this is simply a 3 axis rate type gyro, nothing more....

as soon as mine comes in, I will scan the manual and post it here and in the files tab on HK site.
I got mine.....no paperwork at all

It has 2 extra ports one marked AVR I am guessing is to vary the rate with a spare channel and a ISP port that I am blank on....

Dave
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:33 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,508 Posts
The set of 6 pins on the end are probably just for a USBisp programmer (aka AVRisp).

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Aug 09, 2012, 02:44 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
252 Posts
Best would be HK will delivery instructions file .....................SOON!!!!!!!!!
rosnik is offline Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,252 Posts
******************WARNING***************

Make sure the unit corrects the movement in the right direction, this is very important check and double check this.

If you set this up with the corrections reversed you will increase the chance of a crash..........as it will increase the turn/pitch/roll not decrease it.

If you are not confident that you can set it up right dont fly, get someone to check it out for you who has the experience.

Right just got back from 6 lipos through my PZ Corsair fitted out with the 3-axis box

For the money this is great, the wind was not a lot but I picked a place to fly that was gusty and turbulent around some trees and bushes.

I have just had the most fun with this model ever......

The stock settings are way too sensitive, the servos chatter with it on the ground so I wound them back until the chatter stopped.

Talk about steady.... with flaps down into wind she could hover hands off.........awesome makes it look sooo easy.

Landing approach was line her up flaps down and just user throttle stick to vary descent wings steady as a rock.

I was landing in spot 20' square............easy

I am shocked how effective it is, I have been flying 30 years and I am impressed

Not something I will use in every model but I am teaching my daughter and this will help get some stick time when usually she would be grounded

It does make a bit of a rats nest mind, I used 3 male to male leads and 3 extensions so a lot of cable to pack away.

The photo shows how much........may shorten some of the leads when I fit it something permanent.

Dave
Last edited by dav3uk; Aug 11, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 04:51 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
846 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=670
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 09, 2012, 05:20 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
Awesome, thanks for the reports guys!
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:18 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Right just got back from 6 lipos through my PZ Corsair fitted out with the 3-axis box

For the money this is great, the wind was not a lot but I picked a place to fly that was gusty and turbulent around some trees and bushes.

I have just had the most fun with this model ever......

The stock settings are way too sensitive, the servos chatter with it on the ground so I wound them back until the chatter stopped.

Talk about steady.... with flaps down into wind she could hover hands off.........awesome makes it look sooo easy.

Landing approach was line her up flaps down and just user throttle stick to vary descent wings steady as a rock.

I was landing in spot 20' square............easy

I am shocked how effective it is, I have been flying 30 years and I am impressed

Not something I will use in every model but I am teaching my daughter and this will help get some stick time when usually she would be grounded

It does make a bit of a rats nest mind, I used 3 male to male leads and 3 extensions so a lot of cable to pack away.

The photo shows how much........may shorten some of the leads when I fit it something permanent.

Dave
Very cool report Dave, i have 2 on the way i hope i have your kind of success...I myself have been flying only 4 months and only have flown axn clouds floater and a couple of other trainers...I am hoping this gives me success with the several other planes i built but have been reluctant to fly...thanks
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 09, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined May 2010
1,730 Posts
Also i thought the connectors were female ends needed to plug into these,the same as for recievers...i thought this orange stab unit had pins coming out? I will look again
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 09, 2012, 08:19 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,508 Posts
Dave, thanks for the nice flight report.

Thx for the link greedy, 5.5gm naked is good to know. I'm sure the case is easy to remove just like the Orange 6 rx. That battery port is weird isn't it? Maybe it's for planes that are equipped with 4ch rxs and no bec (larger planes). It can probably also be powered through the gnd and vcc lines on the ISP plug.

h2c, yeah there are pins (male) coming out of this FC, just like an rx. AFAIK all FC's are the same way. It is a standard in PCB design actually; female plugs wear out a lot faster than male pins, and most prefer replacing a cable over replacing a plug soldered to a PCB.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Aug 09, 2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosnik View Post
AHHHHHRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!
I ordered mine yesterday, but I'm totally disappointed about no manuals.

Do you know nothing about AVR-ISP plugs?
The AVR-ISP plugs are for downloading/updating new firmware. It usually means there's an ATMEL chip controlling things.

This could be a great unit for the DIY crowd since it means people can write firmware independently and have it easily downloadable without having to solder programming pins onto the thing.
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
Very cool report Dave, i have 2 on the way i hope i have your kind of success...I myself have been flying only 4 months and only have flown axn clouds floater and a couple of other trainers...I am hoping this gives me success with the several other planes i built but have been reluctant to fly...thanks
Dont be under and misconception about this unit it is only a rate gyro

It isnt an autopilot.

It isnt a wing leveller, or return to level flight device.

This works by trying to keep the plane in the attitude you left it, if that attitude is heading straight down thats what will happen, but smoother.

There are down sides to 3 axis gyros. The box has no idea what speed you are going so for instance in level flight slow the plane down and the gyro will try and keep the nose up in level flight.............slow down too much and the plane will stall and drop the nose but the gyro will be adding more up elevator to try and keep the nose up, exactly the wrong thing to do in a stall. On take off a tail dragger design will lift the tail as speed increases, the gyro will try and keep the tail on the floor unless you add a little DOWN elevator to get the tail up.........ok for those used to that but unnatural for a learner. On a trainer plane that has built in stability and will return to level flight if you let go of the sticks the gyro will try and resist the natural stability and keep it in the attitude you were at before you released the sticks........You actually will end up 'flying' the plane a bit more to overcome the gyro.........In wind the plane will still be blown around and change ALTITUDE but its ATTITUDE should remain stable, ie it may be blown up/down/sideways put should keep the wings level and be keeping its heading. but for things like FPV where you want a steady platform I can see it being great and will be its best use for me. I will try my keyfob cam when I get a chance.

Dave
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:15 AM
madjeff
United Kingdom, Stockton-on-Tees
Joined Mar 2008
535 Posts
glad to here flight reports are coming in and are good.will try mine next week,of to a rc show at the weekend and will pick up the cables i need.
sssss18 is offline Find More Posts by sssss18