HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
After playing with this thing to see what it would do, which is basically lock into whatever you have the stick set at. Feels somewhat like a robot to start with. I wanted to push these attributes way past what a normal plane setup is and let the gyro do what it's meant for. I ended up setting the CG at about the 50% point on the Flash 3D, way further back than what I was able to handle. The quick response of the gyro had no problems with it. I put a flying stab on this plane and with the gyro to stabilize it, and lots of throw, it would do flips in its own length. Put it into knifedge and it locks right in with the sticks in position the gyro will not let it deviate from these settings.. Was doing knifedge figure eights with the wing 6 in. off the ground and I'm not that good of a pilot, just the point that it stays where you put it with the gyro. I think if we use it as another means of control rather than a crutch and push its limits it will be a whole new realm of aerobatics. Can't wait to get out again tomorrow and push it further.
By the way with the CG that far back, it will hang on the prop in a hover, hands off for quite a few seconds before it drifts off. Also the first time I was able to throttle back in the hover and slowly drop down to tail touch. It's another tool guys, have fun with it..
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:58 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
Dennis Sumner's Avatar
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed4353 View Post
How do these stabilizers affect a long rollout in an ROG takeoff with a taildragger?
Does it try to keep the tail down on the ground, until the pilot gives some elevator (down) input? If so, that seems to be a bit squirrely, and dangerous. Or am I all wrong?
Is there any video of an ROG takeoff with a taildragger, and this stabilizer?
Thank you for your time.
Ed
I have mine installed in a House of Balsa Acro Cub and it think it helps keep it straighter in take off roll with rudder inputs against either torque or wind. I have about 20 flights on it in mostly windy conditions with direct crosswind conditions and I like it and feel its worth the $15.

I hope this helps,
Denny
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
SkyCadet's Avatar
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
My Decathlon ran just fine on a short and medium ROG. I use more power than stock on my plane, so I don't have to worry.

However, since the inputs handle all 3 axes, you shoul be fine. It might initially correct a touch for the tail coming up, but not for long. It SHOULD actually smooth out your ROG takoff profile once set ideally.

Landing, same thing. You can hold profile nicely, and then touchdown with a gentle rollout. since it dampens issues with wind, it should make your FPV experience more enjoyable.

SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:39 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
A Rdnek's Avatar
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
After playing with this thing to see what it would do, which is basically lock into whatever you have the stick set at. Feels somewhat like a robot to start with. I wanted to push these attributes way past what a normal plane setup is and let the gyro do what it's meant for. I ended up setting the CG at about the 50% point on the Flash 3D, way further back than what I was able to handle. The quick response of the gyro had no problems with it. I put a flying stab on this plane and with the gyro to stabilize it, and lots of throw, it would do flips in its own length. Put it into knifedge and it locks right in with the sticks in position the gyro will not let it deviate from these settings.. Was doing knifedge figure eights with the wing 6 in. off the ground and I'm not that good of a pilot, just the point that it stays where you put it with the gyro. I think if we use it as another means of control rather than a crutch and push its limits it will be a whole new realm of aerobatics. Can't wait to get out again tomorrow and push it further.
By the way with the CG that far back, it will hang on the prop in a hover, hands off for quite a few seconds before it drifts off. Also the first time I was able to throttle back in the hover and slowly drop down to tail touch. It's another tool guys, have fun with it..
I didn't realize this had a "heading hold" function. How did you access it?
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:10 PM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,564 Posts
This is the way it works when you get it. If you put it in a slight climb, the wind has no affect on it. No heading hold

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Last edited by flypaper 2; Nov 15, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:03 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2009
120 Posts
I took this video about a week ago of my ArtTech P-51 with the Orange RX-3 installed. There was a little bit of wind that day, where normally it is blowing alot at our field, also plagued by roll turbulence from the wind tumbling over the tree line surrounding the field.

I had the yaw set about 3 o'clock for moderate correction - which really helps on the tail dragger. The last half of the video show a bunch of landings and touch and go's, so you can see what it allows.

I had the roll and pitch set about 2 to 2:30 position for just a bit of stability. You can see that it does not interfere with flying the plane if gains are dialed back.

BTW, this P-51 is just a blast to fly - tracks great, very little pitch or trim change with speed, or putting flaps down.

Here you go...

P-51 ArtTech RC flight video (9 min 1 sec)
svtdoug is offline Find More Posts by svtdoug
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:36 AM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Fugitive_Bill's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Cool enough video, but I think 9mins is a bit too much to handle. I skipped it down to about 3 mins.
Why are you flying from other side of the strip?
IE: Not from a pilot box.
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Why are you flying from other side of the strip?
IE: Not from a pilot box.
From the video it's clear he's the only flier and may be the only person at the field and you're worried he's not standing in the right spot?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:30 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
SkyCadet's Avatar
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
The bottom line is that these DO work. They take time and care to set correctly, but once done, can be really nice. I notice that the P51 in the video has excellent pict and yaw correction. really nicely done, Sir!

Those TnGs look very sweet! I am certain that you're having a blast with that "ship"!

Cheers, and thanks for sharing...

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Fugitive_Bill's Avatar
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
From the video it's clear he's the only flier and may be the only person at the field and you're worried he's not standing in the right spot?
Not at all.
It's good he was where he was, it gave a good view of of the club's set up, which is very nice. Had he videoed from a pilot box, the background most likely would have been rather boring. I was was just interested if that the reason he filmed from where he did.

Gezz man no need to get all annoyed at me for asking a question.

I'll be doing the same thing from now when I'm at our field with just few people, hopefully to show off how our amenities (Shelter, workbenches, carpark etc are coming along.

-B!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:04 PM
strawcuter
Winchester, KY
Joined Feb 2004
284 Posts
3 Axis Flight Stablizer and Corrosion X

I would sure appreciate some advice. I do a fair amount of float flying. To protect the electronics from water damage I use Corrison X. I have had it on my planes electronics(Rx and esc) for about 2 years. During that time they have on occasion been dunked with no damage.

I would like to install a HK 3 axis stablizer on one of my planes. I am however concerned that the gyros might be damaged by Corrison X, I hope that someone can give me some advice concerning this.

Bob
strawcuter is offline Find More Posts by strawcuter
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:31 PM
Has Sloped Off
dav3uk's Avatar
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawcuter View Post
I would sure appreciate some advice. I do a fair amount of float flying. To protect the electronics from water damage I use Corrison X. I have had it on my planes electronics(Rx and esc) for about 2 years. During that time they have on occasion been dunked with no damage.

I would like to install a HK 3 axis stablizer on one of my planes. I am however concerned that the gyros might be damaged by Corrison X, I hope that someone can give me some advice concerning this.

Bob
I have used it on mine with no adverse effects, the actual gyro units are solid state 'chips'. I dont believe that there are any moving parts exposed to the outside air, the inards are microscopic and I thin hermetically sealed in the small 'boxes' on the board. I am no electronics guru but thats what I have been led to believe.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
I have used it on mine with no adverse effects, the actual gyro units are solid state 'chips'. I dont believe that there are any moving parts exposed to the outside air, the inards are microscopic and I thin hermetically sealed in the small 'boxes' on the board. I am no electronics guru but thats what I have been led to believe.

Dave
Correct, the only moving parts to worry about are the dip switches.
aargee is offline Find More Posts by aargee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:29 AM
Registered User
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Oct 2009
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Cool enough video, but I think 9mins is a bit too much to handle. I skipped it down to about 3 mins.
Why are you flying from other side of the strip?
IE: Not from a pilot box.
Sorry for the length of the video - that was distilled down from 28 minutes! I created it for another purpose, then figured this thread might enjoy it.

I fly from the other side of the field when the sun is low in the afternoon, but still above the trees and would be right in your face if you flew from the flying boxes. And yes, we only do it when we are alone or just a couple of people are there and everyone agrees to "switch". That was the case that day...

Yes, that P-51 is one awesome bird. It tracks amazingly well, then add the RX3 with mild gain settings and it makes it even better.

Thanks for the comments!
svtdoug is offline Find More Posts by svtdoug
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
The sky is the limit
BAF23's Avatar
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
190 Posts
coordinated turns

First post after reading all the previous 48 pages. I'm awaiting imminent delivery of 3 units to be installed in a Dynham DC3, Art Tech T6 and FMS Stearman. I can fly those aircraft on calm days but being scale taildraggers they are a handful to handle for takeoff and landing in anything but calm winds in the runway axis.

My primary purpose thus is to open up the yaw pot sufficiently to keep them directionally stable. Pitch stabilization during initial climbout and final approach can be a bonus but that will be a rather soft input. Roll pot setting will be minimal because those birds being already prone to dropping a wing at slow speed, I do not want the ailerons to correct that and induce a tipstall by augmenting the AOA without me doing that on purpose (at slow speeds I try to use the secondary effect of rudder to pick up any wing drop).

I'm very much home in aerodynamics and always have been thought an airplane turns because when you bank, the lift vector (staying perpendicular to the wing) can be decomposed in a increasingly smaller (vertical towards the earth) vector to counter gravity, and an increasingly greater horizontal to the earth vector to turn the airplane around. Rudder is only used to compensate for adverse yaw during the bank angle changes, not when established in a bank.

Following question has afaik not been treated on this forum. If the 3 gyro functions have been programmed for approximately the same response (gains), I wonder how the aircraft even changes heading in a turn. If from level horizontal flight I apply right aileron input, the gyro will allow me to bank the airplane and then keep that bank steady. But at the same time the yaw gyro sensing no rudder input will try to maintain the aircrafts' heading (by applying left rudder), even if the lift vector points inside and dictates a turn, does it move the rudder outside of the turn to prevent yaw and thus induce an uncoordinated turn? I didn't see that phenomena on our Milano friend's on board video in his funcub. What am I missing in my thinking? Will my idea about having a large gain on yaw, medium gain on pitch and minimal gain on roll make that phenomenon even worse?

If my primary aim is keep the aircraft on runway heading during take off and landing, how will it affect normal turns in the air? I understand it will counteract adverse yaw during aileron deflection (stronger because the system doesn't allow differential aileron setup), but will also counter positive yaw under a steady banked condition. Can anybody clarify how this works in both theory and practice, did anybody of the users notice what happens during a roll reversal away from you as in a horizontal figure 8 competition maneuver?

Sorry for the nasty questions but I like to gather maximum knowledge before installing that system on my highly personalized and painstakingly long finished models. Thanks in advance for any sensible answers I will be able to understand.
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Last edited by BAF23; Nov 16, 2012 at 05:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion 3 axis stabilizer by HK Early Electric Plane Talk 17 Nov 18, 2012 02:11 PM
New Product OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer 14g (advertised) nemoskull Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 7 Sep 21, 2012 09:50 PM
Discussion Eagle A3 Aeroplane Fixed-wing Micro Flight Controller Board W/ MEMS 3-axis gyro eyeinsky1 Aerial Photography 3 Jun 06, 2012 03:38 PM
Sold CPD-4 Co-Pilot 2 axis flight stabilization system ecampos FPV Equipment (FS/W) 6 Oct 26, 2011 01:34 PM
Discussion ******* 3 axis gyro stabilized video gimbal powerblimp Aerial Photography 10 Feb 23, 2006 06:00 AM