HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:36 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Got mine a couple of days ago and mounted one in my old Zoombi bipe. Made a violent 3D aerobatic plane into a pattern plane.!! It felt a little mushy as I had a lot of expo in it. Found with the stability of the gyro, you don't need any expo. Does everything better, Locked in hover where you can take you fingers off the sticks altogether. Does excellent knifedge loops where before it would roll out coming around the bottom. Now it locks in all the way around. Makes a sh## flier like me look good........well, fair. Still need to do more tinkering.and well worth the bucks. I wonder if they'll ban the competition pattern fliers from using these. Geez!! maybe I should enter my Super Zoom.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2012, 11:56 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Made a violent 3D aerobatic plane into a pattern plane.!!
This has always been the trade-off, unresponsive but stable, or responsive with lessened stability. It takes more sophisticated electronics (think EagleTree Guardian 2D/3D) than HKs' Orange stabilizer to have responsiveness and stability.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:17 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
Yeah, I need to back off on the sensitivity a bit to see if I can find a happy medium.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:15 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I need to back off on the sensitivity a bit to see if I can find a happy medium.
I found anything after the 2 o'clock was too intrusive and the pots aren't linear.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:01 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
I never found acceptable settings. Even with the gains backed down I was getting reduced/inconsistent/unpredictable control responses.

A ways back there was a post about being able to reduce expo with the stabilzer, sure you can because with much gain at all you get reduced responses to the sticks. Stability by limiting response. This isn't a heading hold gyro in spite of posts making it sound like one. It's a poorly executed rate gyro.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:00 AM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,075 Posts
I've had the best luck with these by setting all transmitter trims and sub trim to zero. In some cases, the control surface may not be neutral any more, and will need to be set up mechanically.
My experience on other stabilizer systems, and in their directions, recommended that all TX trims be removed as the stabilizer will see them as TX input and try to adjust to that input.
It's worked on the 3 oranges I've set up so far.

Reducing/removing expo seems to have the same effect. I think the stabilizer likes to see a linear input, or at least it feels that way.
Little to no expo works for me with the Orange Stabilizer.

When I get them set up with no TX trims and the gain in the right spot, the planes fly in calm wind just like they did before. In wind, they fly like there is little or no wind which is what I'm looking for.
Woody_99 is online now Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:33 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,062 Posts
I set it up the same as you Woody which is the way the instructions say and it works to my satisfaction. I don't like headhold either for the same reasonsas you. I'll be going out later today and do away with the expo altogether and see what happens. Funny, doing knifedge flying away from you, you can actually see the elevator going back and forth compensating for the wind. This plane has a full flying stab, so it's very noticeable.

Gord.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:51 AM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
I find the same thing as you folks.

Flying with expos, you have to go negative expo to get close to original operating. I tried running -15% and it seems pretty good. However, I may re-try linear and see how that goes.

The plane where I have set up the ORX on, my super Decathlon, does indeed show good stability in wind though, running close to 2-o'clock. Since the settings at and after this point are SO touchy, it is difficult to find that "just so" spot.

I think that i'll dial these back a tad and re-try linear on the TX. Under certain conditions in light winds, I notice a pretty good waggle in the rudder operation (not chatter, but compensating in headwinds) esp. in a moderate dive.

However, I am flying skis right now (we got nailed with over 300mm of snow, highly unusual for us at this time of year!) and I have found that the pitch settings and roll in wind (15mph gusting to 20) seem to really hold the plane well on landing approaches. My issue now is that in wind, the plane on a shallow approach angle climbs up and down vertically without much pitching, due to wing lift, and since no axis is really being affected per se, no comp. is seen.

It is noticably better on landings with the ORX on there and skis, as the pitching is noticable without it on approaches in lighter wind. (as the skis lose lift and create more frontal drag the plane starts to drop the nose a bit.).

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:29 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,799 Posts
Put one of these bad boys in the already stable Parkzone - jug

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tabilizer.html

not its hands off and fly with a beer
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:58 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
Has anyone installed with the egle tree system?
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Nov 10, 2012, 09:41 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BladeRex View Post
I tried a FY-30,
But it didn't work well. And after sending to the factory found out if you do install one, it needs a min of 4S ESC to work properly.
The ET might need the same extra cushion.
I am using the Orange on my foamy now.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybynight2 View Post
I tried a FY-30,
But it didn't work well. And after sending to the factory found out if you do install one, it needs a min of 4S ESC to work properly.
The ET might need the same extra cushion.
I am using the Orange on my foamy now.
How did you wired to the osd
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,400 Posts
Quote:
http://m.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1596644
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:44 PM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
How did you wired to the osd
AH, didn't wire to a Osd.
I just use it to fly my small foamy for stabilization in the constant 10-20 MPH winds here.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
computer geek
United Kingdom, England, Chippenham
Joined Dec 2010
411 Posts
Mine arrived today and I'll be putting it into my Bixler 2 for FPV stability. here's my Bixler2 blog http://bixler2fpv.blogspot.co.uk/
CorporalB is offline Find More Posts by CorporalB