HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:20 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
I thought I read where it was a built in Y connector. Try plugging an ail servo into each one of the Ail outlets and see what happens.

Gord.
The 2 AIL outputs do work as a 'Y' lead BUT one is reversed from the other.........why we dont know but thats how they did it, so if you want to run 2 servos you either need a reverse direction servo(rare these days) an external reverser to bring it back the correct way or flip the servo in the wing ( ok if you are building new but on a ready built model may be more trouble than its worth). Far easier and cheaper to just pick up or make up a 'Y' lead and run from AIL 1.....

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Last edited by dav3uk; Nov 04, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:59 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
That's kind of what I tough, and I also believe that is easier just put a Y plugn
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:21 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,747 Posts
Just to add, The relatively same size servos of JR and Futaba run opposite one another.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 04, 2012, 03:08 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Same end points? Same speed? Even if so, you still wouldn't have any differential capability.

Until HK addresses the issue, a Y connector using one ail out is the easiest and best solution.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:26 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,747 Posts
I agree with you 100%. Solves a lot of hastles.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
961 Posts
I used hitec digital servos in my ailerons and just reversed one of them with the programmer. I had them laying around. I have another of these laying around and the Y-harness is far easier. I have not decided what project to use this in.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Nov 04, 2012, 10:34 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
I put it on my skywalker fpv, made a Y connector and now ready to go, I will do my test fly and see how it works, I'll get back to you guys and see how it works,, I have all eagle tree system as an OSD, I am just not sure yet if I should run it though the OSD as well, since I am not using long range system,

Aisamac
Old Nov 05, 2012, 10:46 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
I flow and I had to tweaked a little bit but overal is an epic experience, I got to fly for almost min on my skywalker, on a single 4000 3cell Batery. I am very impressed,I give it 4 Stars I could give it five but there is no ON or OFF. Sometimes in flight, You need it to be off,
Old Nov 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Question about how this unit initializes:

During the initialization period (5-10 seconds, while the plane isn't moved at all), does the orientation of the plane matter? In other words, must the plane be kept in a flat and level position, or can it be oriented in any way (upside down, tilted, whatever)......as long as it stays in that position without any movement during the initialization period?

This question was discussed extensively for AS3X planes, when AS3X was introduced. The conclusion - for that system - was that orientation doesn't matter, just immobility.

Is that also true for the ORX?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 06, 2012, 09:03 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Question about how this unit initializes:

During the initialization period (5-10 seconds, while the plane isn't moved at all), does the orientation of the plane matter? In other words, must the plane be kept in a flat and level position, or can it be oriented in any way (upside down, tilted, whatever)......as long as it stays in that position without any movement during the initialization period?

This question was discussed extensively for AS3X planes, when AS3X was introduced. The conclusion - for that system - was that orientation doesn't matter, just immobility.

Is that also true for the ORX?

Easy answer, yes. just keep it still as it doesn't know or care which way it is pointing.

Dave
Old Nov 06, 2012, 10:16 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Easy answer, yes. just keep it still as it doesn't know or care which way it is pointing.
Dave
Thanks, Dave
pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 08, 2012, 12:50 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
I've just fitted an Oragnge 3 axis stailiser to my Easy Star on rudder and elevator.
But I have some issues

1. The servos now move much more slowly and in larger steps. Is this normal ? or is there a fault ?.

2. I had to reverse the gyro for the rudder channel this moved the centre position on the rudder servo and I had to reverse the rudder channel too.

3. The centre position on the elevator has changed slightly.

So far I'm not impressed and have doubts about attempting a flight test because of the slowed and less precise servo response. Am I missing something is there a way to make this thing useful ?

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:24 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
Sounds like the gains are set too high, try winding them back a bit.

The centering issue is something that usually irons out in flight but again high gains can have some odd effects.

Reversing is needed sometimes, as long as everything moves the correct way when YOU move the sticks and corrects the right way when you move the plane it should be fine.

To recap then

Start with the gains low (they can be VERY sensitive to adjustment at the top end with nothing at the bottom)

When you power up try to do it on a firm surface and dont move the plane for 10+ seconds to allow the unit to boot up and centralise itself.

Double check all control movements are the correct way.

Start with the gains low and work up to a point you are happy with.

Remember its only a budget unit............but can be fun to expperiment with

Dave
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:15 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,580 Posts
Thanks Dave

I've set the gains all the way down and still the servos are slow

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 08, 2012, 02:52 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
mmm not had any slowness, I get the stuttery sort of 4 step feeling when they are up high. One of the reasons I dont use them on all my stuff is that dissconnected feeling you get with them.

Dave