HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
I'm putting mine without the case. 9.5-10g of empty weight is not needed for my already pushing 18oz. plane. I can fly it with this in there, but why?

SC
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying with the WHAM group!
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
Sounds about right - your roll axis is probably very sensitive, so reduction is probably a good trial. Maybe your pots are more linear than originally indicated? Maybe ORX finally did something there...

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:51 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Sounds like classic ORX behaviour, there will be a sweet spot but can be fiddly to get just right. I myself find the disconnected feeling I get when flying with the gains high enough to make a real difference too offputting so dont use high setting, just enough to give some smoothing out of the wind.

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:47 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
ORX installed and ready for testing: 3-channel plane...

I just finished my video showing the behavior of the ORX 3AS.

My Super Decathlon BL is now ready to fly in windier than usual conditions!

I placed mine under the main wing, so it was upside down, over the CG. This required me to reverse the 2 flight channels for correction to be in the proper directions. No big deal. Not sure whether needing to tweak these yet. Set the gains around 2-o'clock and behavior is nearly same as my AS3X-equipped micro beast 3D.

Hopefully, tomorrow is a successful maiden. Video below, and on my blog...

Smooth flying all!

SkyCadet

SuperDBL ORX3AS (0 min 0 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
update...

Flew a couple of times this weekend. Tweaked the settings for decent balance of stanility and agility. However, this system DOES fight abrupt aerobatic manoeuvers, like snap rolls and tight loops.

So, I think I'll be trying out in the future the i86 AP unit for trials. I won't be putting this system in my Pitts 12 15e, as it's too ignorant of flight input data. I've heard good reports on the i86 unit and it seems to be closer to AS3X for sport aero birds. At $3 more, I cannot see why I would not go that route.

The ORX 3AS DOES work well for general flying though, so depending upon the type of flying one does, this certainly works nicely. I DO like the stabilization effects in moderate wind, and this really smooths out the flares on my Decathlon! Just awesome landings with this on there.

I may leave this over the winter when I don my skis for this plane... Sport aero is not usually done by me with skis on. Touch and goes are bigtime fun, though, and this unit will certainly let that happen nicely!!!

Don't get me wrong, this unit does work, it is a bit twitchy to setup around the 2-o'clock point of setting gains (where you'll generally set them to start). However, the fact that I can just BARELY get a snap roll or loop out of my plane is kind of annoying. The unit ignores the inputs and reacts simply as a bonafide rate gyro. If it could be bypassed when wanted for sport aero flying, I think it'd be awesome.

Darren/SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 08:39 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyCadet View Post

IHowever, the fact that I can just BARELY get a snap roll or loop out of my plane is kind of annoying. The unit ignores the inputs and reacts simply as a bonafide rate gyro. If it could be bypassed when wanted for sport aero flying, I think it'd be awesome.

Darren/SkyCadet
Yes, it is shame the unit cannot be dialed up/down or turned off/on from the radio.
I'm sure there must be hack/mod to at least by-pass it, the best and only solution I've come with so far is rather complicated (that I posted a hand drawn diagram of a few pages back) using the Dual receiver buddy box system.

Even if complicated, it does have it's merits if you are actually training someone. When set to student his radio (RX) the gyro could be active - even if the student still manages to get in major trouble with gyros active - and when switched to instructor's (RX/TX) the gyros are by-passed and the instructor can then hopefully recover from from ANY situation without the gyros trying to mellow things out!!

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Last edited by Fugitive_Bill; Oct 28, 2012 at 08:44 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:04 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Mines on it's way!
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
Mines on it's way!

Youll love it.....ive got 6 of em and 4 have been used so far...which one to implement on now
tengarang is offline Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Nov 02, 2012, 02:56 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
ORX3AS on skis!

Yup! With all the Superstorm/Hurricane Sandy activity, as it moved into Western Ontario Canada, we in the Prairies got Arctic air being sucked into Sandy with pacific coastal air. Result: SNOW!

5" in the last two days, eeew! Barely November...

So, I put the Decathlon equipped with the ORX3AS on my skis I use for it, and off we went! Really nice performance with the unit on. Skis on a light plane, for those never flying that way, tend to add drag and a lift effect on the front end as the plane begins to fly faster. Causes a pitch up behavior. While trimmable, it's not totally curable. Well, with the ORX, it is!

Landing were really nice too. Again, as the AA starts to increase for flare and landing, the skis again lift the nose, and if one is not careful, you can stall - also appraoches can start a "porpoising effect" as the skis lift the nose, then start to drop as the airspeed slows. The ORX3AS held the profile beautifly on both flights!!!

Sweet!

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by SkyCadet; Nov 02, 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 06:52 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
1,998 Posts
Does anybody know what physical components, within the flight stabilizer, actually, sense the orientaton change? Miniature gyro?
Rich in ILM is online now Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:51 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich in ILM View Post
Does anybody know what physical components, within the flight stabilizer, actually, sense the orientaton change? Miniature gyro?
As I understand it.
It is a electronic gyro.
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 03, 2012, 09:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 12, 2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
Will it ever Fly?
United States, SD, Platte
Joined Nov 2011
422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio.Active View Post
Sorry Clear as MUD.
is there a mechanical movement in it?
Or all electronic?
Flybynight2 is offline Find More Posts by Flybynight2
Old Nov 03, 2012, 12:36 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,081 Posts
The unit (I could be wrong, but I think so) operates via a piezo chip that sense movement not unlike a crystal oscillator. Small inertial changes shift the frequency and thus it then applies it's signal to the outputs accordingly. Electronic at any rate.

If there's a TRUE expert here, please pipe in!!!

SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 03, 2012, 01:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2011
530 Posts
Radio.Active is offline Find More Posts by Radio.Active
Last edited by Radio.Active; Jun 13, 2013 at 07:41 PM.