HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:48 PM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Melnic:
I have read your post #300 on the orange stabilizer. I would like a little claraification on a point that I don't understand. I have a plane with dural ail servos, all I can get are flaps if I connect the servos seperately. I am using a Spektrum DX8 radio with a Spkt 8000 rec.I have the right Ail connected to the Ail port on the rec. and the left Ail connected to the AUX 1 port. In the PDF on the post It says that if you have dual servos on the Ail you need to mix and reverse from each. Could you explain what that means.right now I am using a Y harness for the Ails.

Thanks in Advance for any help you can give me

RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 03:58 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRutledge View Post
Melnic:
I have read your post #300 on the orange stabilizer. I would like a little claraification on a point that I don't understand. I have a plane with dural ail servos, all I can get are flaps if I connect the servos seperately. I am using a Spektrum DX8 radio with a Spkt 8000 rec.I have the right Ail connected to the Ail port on the rec. and the left Ail connected to the AUX 1 port. In the PDF on the post It says that if you have dual servos on the Ail you need to mix and reverse from each. Could you explain what that means.right now I am using a Y harness for the Ails.

Thanks in Advance for any help you can give me

RRutledge
You cannot use dual servos with this unit unless you use a Y lead from one of the outputs on the 3 axis unit. One of them is standard and the other is reversed.........it is a very odd set up as unless you have a wing with a standard servo in one side and a reversed one in the other it is of no use to you without the Y lead. Its just like the old AR500 Spektrum RX that had 2 aileron outputs that were just a built in Y lead in the RX except on the ORX unit one output is reversed........who knows what they were thinking.........lol

The unit doesnt support separate aileron servos on separate channels mixed together at the TX so you cant use Aileron differential, flapperons, butterfly/crow mixing etc.

Its really designed for standard no frills models.

I am afraid the Y harness has to stay.

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:04 AM
R Rutledge
Joined Sep 2006
10 Posts
Dave:

Thanks for the info, I will just fly and have fun the way it is.I only ordered it to play with while I wait for the Guardin 2D/3D that I have ordered from Tower Hobbies that is on back order to come in.

Again Thanks for The Info

RRutledge
RRutledge is offline Find More Posts by RRutledge
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Thats the way.........I use mine just for the fun and to have an experiment....even used it in a yacht....

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Thats the way.........I use mine just for the fun and to have an experiment....even used it in a yacht....

Dave
Hey Dave you going to try this in the HC mosquito?
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:38 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Already had a go in all my planes at least once.....lol

The Mozzy is heavier than most the foamies I fly so I dont find it gets pushed around by the wind much anyway as I only fly the lightweight foamies in up to about 10mph, any more and I fly heavier stuff and lead sled slope soarers. Was out earlier this week in constan 30mph with gusts of 45.....but in the compression on the ridge was up in the 60's.......awesome day.

Its not too windy until you cant stand up......

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:48 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
I have it in my indoor 3d bipe at the moment as it lets my fly it outside in a bit of wind......

I found that on normal models that with the gain up far enough to make a real difference I didnt like the 'disconnected' feeling it gave when flying. When I backed the gains down to a point it felt ok there was not much difference to normal.......just my own preference.

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Oct 2011
983 Posts
ORX 3 Axis Stabilizer on RUD / ELEV / No Ail airplanes?

Win the ORX 3AS / can the ORX 3AS be made to work on an airplane that has these two servos only: RUD / ELEV? (the plane has a fixed wing with no ailerons).

If this has already been addressed in this thread, would you please refer me to the page / post link? (I've tried as many variations on "2 servos / no aileron / etc. as I can think of, and have so far found only references to the "Y" harness issue).

...my guess is that it won't work, or might work partially. Perhaps two axis stabilization may be better than nothing, with full manual responsibility for aileron roll still in the hands of the pilot.

Advice / experiences?

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:32 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Yes it will, you can use as many functions as you like, when used on my yacht I only used rudder.

You do however have a choice on a rudder elevator model.

Option 1, mount the unit in the normal way and connect the rudder using the Rudder input/output to control the yaw axis, this would help prevent unwanted fishtailing for instance.

Option 2, Mount the unit in the normal way and connect the rudder using the Aileron input/output to control the roll axis, this may help the wings rocking when flying in gusty winds for example.

Because a rudder elevator plane turns by yawing first then the plane reacts and banks itself both will work but you may find one is more effective than the other. Rudder elevator only models are designed to be quite stable in the first place so you would need to try it and see.

However......if you are only learning and this plane is your first/second one you may want to get someone with a little more experience to look over what you have done and help with the set up. There are 2 ways this could end badly. First you may connect it up and have the ORX reacting the wrong way.....so you turn right and the unit corrects to the right and it spirals to the ground.......or you could get the gains to high (they can be fiddly to adjust for some) and the plane could get itself into a never ending oscillation like a bucking bronco say on elevator and either shake itself to bits or just crash.

Neither of these are faults with the unit, set any make of gyro up wrong and it can be just as spectacular.......lol

Dave
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:42 PM
Fly Straight Fly High
San Jose, California
Joined Aug 2010
3,860 Posts
Quote:
Already had a go in all my planes at least once.....lol

The Mozzy is heavier than most the foamies I fly so I dont find it gets pushed around by the wind much anyway as I only fly the lightweight foamies in up to about 10mph, any more and I fly heavier stuff and lead sled slope soarers. Was out earlier this week in constan 30mph with gusts of 45.....but in the compression on the ridge was up in the 60's.......awesome day.

Its not too windy until you cant stand up......

Dave

cool thanks for that
tengarang is online now Find More Posts by tengarang
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
983 Posts
Quote:
Yes it will, you can use as many functions as you like, when used on my yacht I only used rudder.

You do however have a choice on a rudder elevator model.

Option 1, mount the unit in the normal way and connect the rudder using the Rudder input/output to control the yaw axis, this would help prevent unwanted fishtailing for instance.

Option 2, Mount the unit in the normal way and connect the rudder using the Aileron input/output to control the roll axis, this may help the wings rocking when flying in gusty winds for example.

Because a rudder elevator plane turns by yawing first then the plane reacts and banks itself both will work but you may find one is more effective than the other. Rudder elevator only models are designed to be quite stable in the first place so you would need to try it and see.

However......if you are only learning and this plane is your first/second one you may want to get someone with a little more experience to look over what you have done and help with the set up. There are 2 ways this could end badly. First you may connect it up and have the ORX reacting the wrong way.....so you turn right and the unit corrects to the right and it spirals to the ground.......or you could get the gains to high (they can be fiddly to adjust for some) and the plane could get itself into a never ending oscillation like a bucking bronco say on elevator and either shake itself to bits or just crash.

Neither of these are faults with the unit, set any make of gyro up wrong and it can be just as spectacular.......lol

Dave
Fantastic! Thanks for that.

Yes, I am on my first two airplane builds (doing them both at once) -- and they're both two servo models with fixed wings.

While I am brand new to airplanes, I'm not brand new to flight control or configuring 3 axis gyros, as I bring some heli experience to airplanes.

What great news to learn that the ORX 3AS should work usefully on a 2 servo plane! I'll definitely be trying both of the methods you've described.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:24 PM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
I've just brought one of these little devils as an experiment in a boat, It's a very big and narrow warship with a tendency to lean over in sharp turns, It has a high center of gravity. I've fitted fin stabilisers which are essentially ailerons in the effect they have on the ship.

I have done an initial set-up which seems to on the bench operate the stabilisers correctly and I've hooked up the rudder as well for nice straight running

I have a question of location, where is the best place to put it would I be better off putting it well above the roll centre or close to the roll centre Ie, just above the keel, what about its yaw centre, better closer to the pivot point or will this not be critical?

The ship is just under 3 meters long and about 40 cm from keel to top of main superstructure.

My feeling is to put it up above the roll pivot and near the yaw pivot, the plan is to try it just under the bridge (its easy to access there to

Obviously being a boat I have no problem it keeping it level in a fore-aft plain

Thanks for your time

Cheers
Nick
Thanks for your replies Odysis and bwoollia,

I've got it all installed and working to my satisfaction on the bench, I had some issues with the channel assignments but figured it out, It seems to have good control of the stabilisers rolling the ship on its axis at a realistic speed all though the gain is near the maximum
The rudder I fear will not be effective, the ship already should have excellent "tracking" due to its long lean shape. As this is of a secondary nature for the reason to add the unit I'm not concerned.

Sea trials will happen within a couple of weeks.

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is online now Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,323 Posts
Just take it easy on the gains and you will be fine try and avoid to high like the tail hunting syndrome on heli

Dave
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:45 PM
Segelfliegen bedeutet Freiheit
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined May 2010
1,083 Posts
Syzygy:

Glad you asked the big Q!

I recently got one of these, and am planning to try it out on my SuperDecathlon BL 3-channel plane as an experimental setup.

I plan to mount mine and hook up with Aileron channel control, since this plane has a LOT of rudder authority. Elevator as normal.

Will start at the 50% (or whatever bench pre-testing suggests) to start, then tweak accordingly.

I should get a chance this weekend to try it (off tomorrow, so hook up and play time!)

Will post results here and on my blog.

Darren/SkyCadet
SkyCadet is offline Find More Posts by SkyCadet
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New plane - Evader!!!
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:02 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Hi all - I just installed this device and it is working great, except for when I am doing rolls. It acts very robotic or clunky when doing one so the roll rate is much slower. I played w/ the gain and I think I am below 50% now(the pot slot is at about the 10:00 o'clock position). That did help some, but, I fear if I turn it down too much I will lose the capability to fly in windy conditions. Any thoughts? Thanks!
baddb1 is offline Find More Posts by baddb1