HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 10:17 PM
Debris Fields 'R' Us
Union City, Ca
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Dissapointed

I received my $15 miracle a few days ago. After reviewing the the manaul and reading the bulk of this tread I installed the stabilizer in a new to me E Flight 260. I had maidened it last weekend and was impressed with the way it flew. I wanted to use this as a test bed for the new device. I'm interested in using it in scratch scale projects. So I installed it and carefully set it up. I put 3 batteries through it today and I must say that it did some things well. For instance before installation the 260 would stall out of tight loops at low to medium power, the stabilizer seemed to improve performance in this situation nicely. The problem I'm having is that every time I arm the plane I have to trim it again. Most annoying the rudder will arm to a right hand turn by about 3/16th of an inch. Since the linkage is right there I loosen the screw and center it before flying. Next battery>>>> I arm the plane and the rudder is now deflecting in the opposite direction 3/16th of an inch. So unless someone can point me to a failure I may have committed in setup I will have to say that this is either a defective unit or it just doesn't work as expected. After reading the thread here I would say I'm the exception with these problems. $15 is nothing for a device like this so my expectation were not great. Anyone have any idea what is up here?
Quicksdraw is offline Find More Posts by Quicksdraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:56 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksdraw View Post
I received my $15 miracle a few days ago. After reviewing the the manaul and reading the bulk of this tread I installed the stabilizer in a new to me E Flight 260. I had maidened it last weekend and was impressed with the way it flew. I wanted to use this as a test bed for the new device. I'm interested in using it in scratch scale projects. So I installed it and carefully set it up. I put 3 batteries through it today and I must say that it did some things well. For instance before installation the 260 would stall out of tight loops at low to medium power, the stabilizer seemed to improve performance in this situation nicely. The problem I'm having is that every time I arm the plane I have to trim it again. Most annoying the rudder will arm to a right hand turn by about 3/16th of an inch. Since the linkage is right there I loosen the screw and center it before flying. Next battery>>>> I arm the plane and the rudder is now deflecting in the opposite direction 3/16th of an inch. So unless someone can point me to a failure I may have committed in setup I will have to say that this is either a defective unit or it just doesn't work as expected. After reading the thread here I would say I'm the exception with these problems. $15 is nothing for a device like this so my expectation were not great. Anyone have any idea what is up here?

Next time you try it try this,

When you power up leave the plane still for 5 seconds just to give it time to start.

If the rudder is out give the plane a shake in the yaw axis and see where it re centres afterwards, does it centre at the same point or different.

Try flying the plane, does it fly out of trim or does it settle down in the air

Now assuming there is no slop or binding in the linkage if it still centres different every time you fly it sounds faulty, at this price point I think its inevitable that quality control and testing is going to be hit and miss at times you may just be the unlucky one......

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:32 AM
United States, UT, Marysvale
Joined Aug 2004
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
why not use a y servo cable for your second aileron? do you have a flapperon/spoileron setup?
Yes, I have a dual servo/aileron setup with electronic diiferrential aileron travel (more up than down aileron travel). I am open for any other ideas. I guess I could do the differential (old school) mechanically, except Im going to have to operate on the wing.
Cheers!
~Fred
Vrated is offline Find More Posts by Vrated
Old Oct 14, 2012, 10:16 AM
Debris Fields 'R' Us
Union City, Ca
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
Thanks Dave
It's all 3 channels that need to be trimed each flight. The rudder is the only one you can see that is physically out of alignment. As soon as it's up in the air I have to correct for roll and pitch changes. At this price though I think I may try another.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:13 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Dave
It's all 3 channels that need to be trimed each flight. The rudder is the only one you can see that is physically out of alignment. As soon as it's up in the air I have to correct for roll and pitch changes. At this price though I think I may try another.
Yes sounds like you got a lemon.........

Dave
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Yes sounds like you got a lemon.........

Dave
OR... He's just seeing a rate gyro doing its' thing. Fly and trim the plane with the orange turd disconnected from the system. Then hook it back up (make sure it reacts in the right directions) and without re-trimming or changing any trims see how it flys.

Sounds like it's a matter of trimming before flight (undoing the rate gyro inputs trying to correct the planes' attitude) and then having to "undo" the trim changes in flight.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
OR... He's just seeing a rate gyro doing its' thing. Fly and trim the plane with the orange turd disconnected from the system. Then hook it back up (make sure it reacts in the right directions) and without re-trimming or changing any trims see how it flys.

Sounds like it's a matter of trimming before flight (undoing the rate gyro inputs trying to correct the planes' attitude) and then having to "undo" the trim changes in flight.
I think the OP had flown his plane before installing the stabilizer.
From his previous post.
Originally Posted by Quicksdraw
I received my $15 miracle a few days ago. After reviewing the the manaul and reading the bulk of this tread I installed the stabilizer in a new to me E Flight 260. I had maidened it last weekend and was impressed with the way it flew. I wanted to use this as a test bed for the new device.

Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
I think the OP had flown his plane before installing the stabilizer.
True, but if you'd read further:

Quote:
The problem I'm having is that every time I arm the plane I have to trim it again.
That is what I was addressing, the point being: Don't retrim it, at least not with the stabilizer in the circuit or without setting it immobile and moving the sticks first to neutralize any stabilizer outputs or keeping it immobile during and after arming.

What he's "re-trimming" after arming may be the stabilizers attempt to correct the planes attitude if the plane hasn't been motionless during and after arming.

The stabilizer, because it can't be turned off, can fool you.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:40 PM
Bladerex700
Joined Jul 2007
422 Posts
Is this compatible with the eagle tree OSD V4
BladeRex is offline Find More Posts by BladeRex
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:48 PM
Debris Fields 'R' Us
Union City, Ca
Joined Mar 2005
98 Posts
T.E.
I think your on to something.

I started from scratch setting up the plane without the stabilizer in line. Zeroed the trims and adjusted the surfaces. Then installed the Stabilizer and it seems to be working correct for the moment. I'll cross my fingers and fly it on Saturday.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 05:09 AM
NeverAgainVolunteerYourse lf
Australia, QLD, Regents Park
Joined Mar 2007
3,605 Posts
Boat application

I've just brought one of these little devils as an experiment in a boat, It's a very big and narrow warship with a tendency to lean over in sharp turns, It has a high center of gravity. I've fitted fin stabilisers which are essentially ailerons in the effect they have on the ship.

I have done an initial set-up which seems to on the bench operate the stabilisers correctly and I've hooked up the rudder as well for nice straight running

I have a question of location, where is the best place to put it would I be better off putting it well above the roll centre or close to the roll centre Ie, just above the keel, what about its yaw centre, better closer to the pivot point or will this not be critical?

The ship is just under 3 meters long and about 40 cm from keel to top of main superstructure.

My feeling is to put it up above the roll pivot and near the yaw pivot, the plan is to try it just under the bridge (its easy to access there to

Obviously being a boat I have no problem it keeping it level in a fore-aft plain

Thanks for your time

Cheers
Nick
nick_75au is offline Find More Posts by nick_75au
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:41 AM
Life begins at transition
Australia, VIC, Sale
Joined May 2007
3,590 Posts
Doesn't matter where. Rotation velocities are the same throughout the whole ship. This little box can't detect linear movement, only rotation.

Stick it where it can be accurately set in plane (level), and easy to get to!
Odysis is offline Find More Posts by Odysis
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:24 AM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_75au View Post
I've just brought one of these little devils as an experiment in a boat, It's a very big and narrow warship with a tendency to lean over in sharp turns, It has a high center of gravity. I've fitted fin stabilisers which are essentially ailerons in the effect they have on the ship.
It might not be a good application for a ship. I imagine that the lean is a slow movement, which might be difficult for a rate gyro to compensate for. In any case, I'm very interested to see how it works!
bwoollia is online now Find More Posts by bwoollia
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,543 Posts
I'm using a 300gram easy star on RET for aerial videos do you guys thing one of these gizmos would smooth out the flight path ? The thing is pretty stable but gusts make video shaky I suspect its vertical or horizontal linear movement rather that pitch and yaw.

Anyone tried one in this application ?

Regards

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
I'm using a 300gram easy star on RET for aerial videos do you guys thing one of these gizmos would smooth out the flight path ? The thing is pretty stable but gusts make video shaky I suspect its vertical or horizontal linear movement rather that pitch and yaw.

Anyone tried one in this application ?

Regards

Terry
This unit will help as will any of the other makes around at the moment. Our plane when in flight tend to pitch yaw and roll a lot but small movements that when we view from the ground are all but lost, when viewed from on board the slightest angular movement in any of the 3 axis will be a noticable shimmy or camera shake. Bodily verticle, or horizontal movements are less noticable.

On a suitable plane with the rates dialled in just right it will make quite a smooth ride.

Some of the best footage I have taken has been from gliders, no motor vibration to spoil the view........lol

Just dont expect miracles...........it has its limitations.

Dave