Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:36 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
skymaxy:

Use the manual written by melnic/mycoolrc.com. It is the best you can find on the ORX. You can get it at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

Be sure you get revision 3.
Curt
That just takes me to Hundreds of Threads, can you link me to the actual article please? Thanks.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:27 PM
Retired, and working hard at.
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivičres
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
New H/King Orange-RX flight stabliser Installation

When flight controlers are installed in multi rotors ( Quad,Octo, etc, ) there is a pre-defined orientation often with small arrows on the cards themselves to show which way the card is to be pointing in order for it to work correctly.

Does this have to be installed in a certain orientation or position, or can we just install it where ever we find room for it. ?

Uncle Bob
stepinwolf is offline Find More Posts by stepinwolf
Old Sep 24, 2012, 10:12 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinwolf View Post
When flight controlers are installed in multi rotors ( Quad,Octo, etc, ) there is a pre-defined orientation often with small arrows on the cards themselves to show which way the card is to be pointing in order for it to work correctly.

Does this have to be installed in a certain orientation or position, or can we just install it where ever we find room for it. ?

Uncle Bob
Wow, I can't believe I did not cover that in the manual.

The top of the unit can face up or down.
You can have the servo connections on the nose or tail side but NOT left/right. (got it?)
Once you have the mounting, you reverse the axis per the manual.
look through the attachements in the thread to see examples (thread tools > show attachments)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:32 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaxy View Post
That just takes me to Hundreds of Threads, can you link me to the actual article please? Thanks.
Strange - Just go to page 20, post 300. The PDF link is there.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:40 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,020 Posts
I just noticed we don't have the "go to page #() " option anymore. I'm on page 37and it is not easy to go to page 20.
Plus not all of use the same format so the post he is looking for may not be on page 20 for him.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:34 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
This link will open the PDF first posted in post #300
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:34 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
skymaxy:

Use the manual written by melnic/mycoolrc.com. It is the best you can find on the ORX. You can get it at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

Be sure you get revision 3.
Curt
I think you copied the text and not the link.
If you want to copy a link, you have to right click and copy shortcut. If you highlight the link then copy it, you get the text which has all the ...... in it to truncate the link and make it smaller looking in the post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

No biggie.

BTW, one good way to search a thread is the thread tools link at the top of the thread. Searching attachments lets you look at all the attacments such as PDFs and pics.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:01 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I think you copied the text and not the link.
If you want to copy a link, you have to right click and copy shortcut. If you highlight the link then copy it, you get the text which has all the ...... in it to truncate the link and make it smaller looking in the post.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300
Good information! I have been wondering about the ellipses. They also protect against robo-scans.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:11 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
599 Posts
Quote:
I mounted my stabilizer under the hatch, on a removable platform. All adjustments are very accessible. The stabilizer is a Guardian, but the ORX (or whatever you may have) should work as well.

I will post a photo in a couple of days.
Sorry for the time lapse - I was away from home in a hotel with poor wifi support when I posted the above message.

Concerning how I mount my gyros, my goal is to allow flexibility. I can’t afford to equip all my planes with one, so I move them around.

Basically, I mount the gyro on a piece of scrap lite-ply, using a good servo mounting tape. I drilled a hole in the front center of the lite-ply for a single 6-32 nylon screw and fasten this assembly to another piece of lite-ply which is glued to the fuselage. The fuselage lite-ply has an inlaid 6-32 nylon nut – also centered. When I want to move the gyro, I just remove it. In the three planes that I have done this with, the weight of all the lite-ply, screw and nut is about 7 grams.

The fuselage lite-ply is level, so the gyro is automatically properly oriented when installed. It is a sort of “stable platform”.

The photos show where the gyros are placed.

Two photos show my Fun Cub installation. The platform is under the regular Fun Cub hatch, and set low enough to avoid any interference. Note the thread near the screw. It is just a screw-keeper to prevent it from dropping into the fuselage.

The third photo shows how I mounted the platform in my 20-plus-year-old, highly modified ElectriCub. In this case, the platform is in the cockpit area between wing roots and low enough to allow a hatch to cover it between wings. The screw-keeper is not installed yet.

I also have a Mountain Models Clipped-wing Cub, where the platform is mounted to a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage under the cockpit area. (no photo)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:44 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinwolf View Post

---

Uncle Bob
You can mount it however you like, well, any side facing forwards, not diagonally or inclined, but have to swap channels; eg. I mounted it with the label arrow frontwards but the pin lines facing right acc. to the fuselage of a foamie, meaning ELE and RUD had to be swapped. (eg. elevator from Rx connected to RUD Input and then RUD output connected to elevator servo)

Edit: Maiden with OrangeRx in RC-Factory sbach foamie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6006qawZyaw
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Sep 26, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:42 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
OrangeRx 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer Flight Video

I just posted a video showing my experience with the stabilizer on a Bixler glider. It was really windy when I filmed this. I was quite happy how well the stabilizer handled in the wind. It did have some small gyrations on the roll that I didn't notice until after see the video. -Mike

OrangeRx 3-Axis Stabilizer Flight Testing - using Bixler Glider (21 min 29 sec)
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
Old Sep 27, 2012, 12:29 AM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,085 Posts
Great video! I ran my gains up to 3 o'clock and it was too much today. (GEE BEE Clone) I will back them down tomorrow to 2 o'clock and see from there. Like you, I found it wasn't healthy to use the bec built into the ESC and wired in a stand alone UBEC. That seemed to make a difference and have had no further problems. I was lucky as my ESC got so hot the receiver reset, but I had just landed. The ESC was almost too hot to touch. Never had that problem with this plane until I installed the stabilizer.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:32 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,528 Posts
ORX Maiden in my Floater Jet, wind was stiff at 17mph gusting to 20mph it handled it nicely, during landing approach it was snapped onto its side by a nasty Tree-Rotor but it popped right back and landed itself. Pots set at 2:30

Love it when the plan comes together
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:38 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,688 Posts
Good video Mike. I think the ORX works really well for a $15 gadget when trimmed correctly (which isn't that hard) , particularly for camera platforms. I really don't know what all the carping is about.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Sep 27, 2012, 05:44 AM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,216 Posts
Quote:
Sorry for the time lapse - I was away from home in a hotel with poor wifi support when I posted the above message.

Concerning how I mount my gyros, my goal is to allow flexibility. I can’t afford to equip all my planes with one, so I move them around.

Basically, I mount the gyro on a piece of scrap lite-ply, using a good servo mounting tape. I drilled a hole in the front center of the lite-ply for a single 6-32 nylon screw and fasten this assembly to another piece of lite-ply which is glued to the fuselage. The fuselage lite-ply has an inlaid 6-32 nylon nut – also centered. When I want to move the gyro, I just remove it. In the three planes that I have done this with, the weight of all the lite-ply, screw and nut is about 7 grams.

The fuselage lite-ply is level, so the gyro is automatically properly oriented when installed. It is a sort of “stable platform”.

The photos show where the gyros are placed.

Two photos show my Fun Cub installation. The platform is under the regular Fun Cub hatch, and set low enough to avoid any interference. Note the thread near the screw. It is just a screw-keeper to prevent it from dropping into the fuselage.

The third photo shows how I mounted the platform in my 20-plus-year-old, highly modified ElectriCub. In this case, the platform is in the cockpit area between wing roots and low enough to allow a hatch to cover it between wings. The screw-keeper is not installed yet.

I also have a Mountain Models Clipped-wing Cub, where the platform is mounted to a hatch on the bottom of the fuselage under the cockpit area. (no photo)
Thanks for sharing.

Damn good idea.

It makes a transfer to another model clean, simple & secure

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie