SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
mmerry2 on Youtube
United States, MD
Joined Nov 2010
86 Posts
OrangeRx 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer Setup Video

I put together a video to show how to setup the OrangeRx flight stabilizer with a Bixler glider. Check it out. -Mike

How to Setup OrangeRx Stabilizer - using Bixler Glider (17 min 0 sec)
mike_m2 is offline Find More Posts by mike_m2
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 01:02 AM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_m2 View Post
I put together a video to show how to setup the OrangeRx flight stabilizer with a Bixler glider. Check it out. -Mike

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxu8zTb_JRY
Nice video, until 14:30.
You say you can reverse the direction of the gyro response, with the reversing switch in your transmitter, or something to that effect. Not a direct quote.
That is wrong. If your airplane is responding correctly "before" you add the Orange RX stabilizer, it will still respond correctly after you install the stabilizer. If the "GYRO" response is backward, the only way you correct that is with the reversing switch on the Stabilizer, as you said a little before 14:30 in the video.
If you change the servo reversing switch in your transmitter it changes the direction that your servo response when you move the stick on the transmitter. Which has nothing to do with "GYRO" response.
Ron
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
Nice video, until 14:30.
If your airplane is responding correctly "before" you add the Orange RX stabilizer, it will still respond correctly after you install the stabilizer.Ron
Maybe. Sometimes it's right, sometimes it needs to be reversed.

1. Set the Orange RX stabilizer switches for correct gyro response to aircraft movement.

2. Check your transmitter control responses. You may need to reverse your transmitter setting(s) to get correct control surface responses after setting the Orange RX stabilizer switches.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:28 PM
ETFD2 Creator
Worcester, MA
Joined Feb 2007
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Just for the heck of it, has anyone tried one of these on a 3D foamy? I'd be curious to see what it does. Would it hold a plane vertical?
I have the OrangeRX in a couple of 3D foamy planes. Don't expect miracles -- the unit is not going to hold the hover for you. But if you get the gains tuned in, it makes the plane more stable and easier to fly and hover.

--ET
etheli is offline Find More Posts by etheli
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:59 PM
Too much is just not enough...
Joined Jan 2009
1,075 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on using the stabilizer on a foamie.
So in a hover, it will let the plane fall out, given proper throttle use?
How about in a knife edge?

Again, just curious how the gyro behaves in different orientations.
I have a couple on the way, and wanted to play a little before trying in a more conventional plane.
Woody_99 is offline Find More Posts by Woody_99
Old Sep 22, 2012, 05:31 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody_99 View Post
Thanks for the feedback on using the stabilizer on a foamie.
So in a hover, it will let the plane fall out, given proper throttle use?
How about in a knife edge?

Again, just curious how the gyro behaves in different orientations.
I have a couple on the way, and wanted to play a little before trying in a more conventional plane.
As its a simple rate gyro it doesnt matter what orientation it is in it just resist movement about the 3 axis, the amount of corrective mevement is goverened by the gains and they can be a PITA to get right as can be seen in the thread.

The degree to which your plane will fight to get out of Knife edge or the hover will have a huge effect on how much the gyro can help.

On my Great planes reflection foam bipe there isnt a lot of cross coupling to start with and on a calm ish day it will sit in the hover hands off, just drifting downwind. Knife edge again on a calm day will sit happily as I fly around myself.

BUT theres always a but. to get the plane this stable the gains need to be real high and at anything more than 'Harrier' speed the surfaces will oscilate badly, there is a post on here saying a plane was shaken to bits by them so use high gain and high speed with extreme care.

Better to use it as an assistant not an autopilot and it will smooth things out and give you a helping hand.....

Dave
dav3uk is online now Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Sep 23, 2012, 06:24 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
I just installed the unit in a foam Fantasy Racer (Gee Bee clone)
I'll fly it tomorrow. I have the gain down to small deflections, and triple checked the correct response directions against movement. I would hope the next version has a lager setting spread between no response and hyper response. It seems to be razor thin. The Fantasy Racer is an easy plane to put the unit into as far as room and central positioning. Will report back after some flights.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:56 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jun 2007
151 Posts
They are in stock right now ;-)
jacky65 is offline Find More Posts by jacky65
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Design, Build, Crash?, Repeat
Monroe, CT
Joined Mar 2005
724 Posts
Could someone please tell me the difference between the rev 3 8/23/12 and 8/21/12 manuals? No sooner did I print the 8/21 manual out, then I saw a newer one. No differences jump out on a quick read-through.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris_K is offline Find More Posts by Chris_K
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_K View Post
Could someone please tell me the difference between the rev 3 8/23/12 and 8/21/12 manuals? No sooner did I print the 8/21 manual out, then I saw a newer one. No differences jump out on a quick read-through.

Thanks,
Chris
It's mentioned in Post #300 of this thread.
My description of the Aileron Check was incorrect and backwards which could cause a fatal crash if you followed the original instructions without thought.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

It is easy to find the manual while searching attachments, but unfortunatly, it no longer brings you to the post that the attachment was placed.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 25, 2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:46 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Melnic; your updated manual has been added to the OP. If anyone has info they feel needs to be added to the OP, shoot me a PM and let me know.

Cheers,
Kevin
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:42 PM
Retired in NC
USA, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2010
2,106 Posts
Maybe Oversimplifying?

I flew this morning in gusts up to 15 mph and my plane flew beautifully. (Gee Bee Racer clone) (51" wing span 3.3 pound plane)

Couple of comments:

Checking set up:
Hold the plane in level flight attitude.
Roll the plane, when the wing goes up the aileron on that side should go up, wing down aileron down.
Pitch the plane. Tail up elevator moves up. Tail down elevator moves down.
Yaw the plane. Tail to the left rudder moves to the left.

If you already have the plane set up and all the controls are correct, you shouldn't have to do any reverses on the stabilizer, provided the connectors on the stabilizer are facing forward (point to the direction of flight.) (See photo) Sorry if this is redundant, I tried to read the whole thread. Just my way of getting a handle on it.

Powering: For the vast majority of applications the battery connector on the stabilizer should never be used. The minute you connect the first servo, (from the receiver) the stabilizer is powered up.. (I have seen a lot of post talking about male to male, but the wires themselves have to have female ends as the receiver and stabilizer are both male.)

Finally, I set the gain so the control surfaces move just about the same distance as they do from from full stick travel.

Any comment or corrections are greatly appreciated.
Rich in ILM is offline Find More Posts by Rich in ILM
Last edited by Rich in ILM; Sep 24, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:02 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
You don't want to come to Kommiefornia. Those of us that are smart are getting ready to pull up stakes an go elsewhere...
Colorado doesnt need any more refugees from North Mexico lol.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
skymaxy:

Use the manual written by melnic/mycoolrc.com. It is the best you can find on the ORX. You can get it at: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=300

Be sure you get revision 3.
Curt
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:04 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Just to clarify, the ORX does not support dual aileron outputs in the way this normally means, for example the option of using aileron differential. Yes it has two aileron outputs, but only one input, and the aileron outputs are identical except that one is the reverse of the other. So these two outputs are effectively useless for a normal dual aileron plane where the ailerons are physically reversed. This is why a Y-cable from either aileron output must be used to connect to the two aileron servos.
Sorry I'm not quite sure what u mean by "output", output of the RX or output of the Orange stabiliser?
I have dual Ail leads so that I can have Flaperons, does this mean i need to remove those and put the standard Y-Lead back on my Floater jet?
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy