HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:03 PM
United States, TN, Gray
Joined Nov 2010
156 Posts
I stopped around 1:30 on the pots for my T-28, and had no issues with the 10 mph gusts, flew solid, and landed easily. I'll mess with the pots more on a windier day. I noticed I had to add some aileron trim, which makes me think the ORX must not be level with the wings. Nice bit of kit for $15.
jumna is offline Find More Posts by jumna
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:39 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
Great!! Another choice. I like lots of choices.

It looks pretty good.

After a quick look at the Bluelight manual, I did not see any reference to dual ailerons or flaperons. Does this gyro support them?

The Guardian supports them, and the ORX will support dual ailerons.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:52 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtissP40 View Post
Great!! Another choice. I like lots of choices.

It looks pretty good.

After a quick look at the Bluelight manual, I did not see any reference to dual ailerons or flaperons. Does this gyro support them?

The Guardian supports them, and the ORX will support dual ailerons.
Sure looks like you can have dual everything with reversing on each output.
See page 5 of the manual for a block diagram.

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...UserManual.pdf

Very Versatile Unit.....
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
Mmmm ... I have one of these and would like to enable flaperons on my HK Stinger EDF (it sure comes in hot) ... the ORX has 1 Aileron input and 2 output (incidently, the Left and Right Aileron output goes in the same direction as per previous posts). So I've used a Y-cable out of Aileron-L to my two wing aileron servos ... I can't think of a way to enable Flaperons via my DX6i for this setup ... maybe 2x ORXs might do the job?
protoplasmia is offline Find More Posts by protoplasmia
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:27 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumna View Post
...I noticed I had to add some aileron trim, which makes me think the ORX must not be level with the wings.
This shouldn't matter. The stabilizer does not depend on a 'level' reference, it operates based on a difference in angular position.
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:29 PM
Sydney Australia
Joined Sep 2003
48 Posts
Rudder and elevator only model

I have a small model with rudder , elevator and throttle.
only.
Should I connect the rudder servo to the ROLL output or to the YAW output?
My instinct tells me to connect to the ROLL output. Has anyone actually used the Orange 3 Axis Gyro to a 3 channel plane (No Ailerons)?
I have used the Orange succesfully on a four channel model and I am pleased with its performance. Nice and stable and much better in the wind. I took a video looking backwards and you can see the elevator doing constant corrections during the flight.

On board video.wmv (3 min 9 sec)

I would realy like to try it on the 3 chanel model but I am not sure about the rudder servo connection/

Regards
Tom Watson
Sydney Australia
tommywatson is offline Find More Posts by tommywatson
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:31 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
Quote:
and the ORX will support dual ailerons.
Just to clarify, the ORX does not support dual aileron outputs in the way this normally means, for example the option of using aileron differential. Yes it has two aileron outputs, but only one input, and the aileron outputs are identical except that one is the reverse of the other. So these two outputs are effectively useless for a normal dual aileron plane where the ailerons are physically reversed. This is why a Y-cable from either aileron output must be used to connect to the two aileron servos.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:58 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj604 View Post
Agree with everything below but it is worth adding that the real plus with the Guardian is the sophistication of the software. The magic coding guru at Eagletree should get real credit for that.

It is not JUST a three axis rate and heading-hold gyro with remote on/off and gain, like the Eagle A3 Pro and others.

The so called "fusion" software in these modern "6 axis" (3 accelerometer and 3 gyro) chips is very clever and Eagletree seem have taken that and done a good analysis of what is needed for stabilisation of a fixed wing model.

The first time you see it flip a model from an inverted spin into absolutely stable level flight in about 5 feet is an eye opener. As for 3D mode, one of our expert pilots at the club who had never heard of stabilization and gyros till I showed him my Guardian in action is now flying with one in a 3D foamy and keeps saying, "Gosh, wow".

There is absolutely no comparison with a simple 3 axis gyro like the normal Eagle A3, i86AP or Orange. Not saying there is anything wrong with them but the Eagletree is in a different class.
Good stuff John. Thanks for the heads up. For another $35 I don't think I would bother with anymore ORXs

Kev
Berkie is online now Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2012
51 Posts
Looks like the EagleTree is the go since it does support dual ailerons ... and yes, for $35 more ... well worth it.

Noticed it sold out on HobbyKing in less than a day!
protoplasmia is offline Find More Posts by protoplasmia
Old Aug 30, 2012, 10:41 PM
Huckin around the Shire
USA, NH, Manchester
Joined Jun 2010
1,273 Posts
I just hooked one of mine up to the funcub. I used HS-5065s in the ailerons so that I could program one to work in reverse to solve the aileron issue.
Enterprise7 is offline Find More Posts by Enterprise7
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:03 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Just to clarify, the ORX does not support dual aileron outputs in the way this normally means, for example the option of using aileron differential. Yes it has two aileron outputs, but only one input, and the aileron outputs are identical except that one is the reverse of the other. So these two outputs are effectively useless for a normal dual aileron plane where the ailerons are physically reversed.
Yes. I did not intend to suggest the existence of true dual aileron control, including differential. On the other hand, I am hoping that any adverse yaw will be properly handled by the ORX.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 01:16 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,690 Posts
Yes Curtiss,
everyone on this (ORX) thread seems to have abandoned the ORX and switched their allegiance to the Eagletree and then the Bluelight within about a day! Me, I am still testing the ORXs that I actually have (for only about a week), and find that they work surprisingly well. Slow down guys.
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:26 AM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjr2001 View Post
Sure looks like you can have dual everything with reversing on each output.
See page 5 of the manual for a block diagram.

http://www.bluelight-tech.com/Downlo...UserManual.pdf

Very Versatile Unit.....
Aileron differential and dual ailerons are covered explicitly on page 14 of the manual, quoting:

"2.1.6.1 Stall softener feature (Differential Ailerons)

If you have separate servos for the wings it's possible to add some bias to both servos to allow them both to deflect up more than down. This helps to reduce the likelihood of a wing tip stall when aileron deflections are made at high angles of attack."

On paper at least, this thing is amazing - and perhaps unnecessarily complicated. It seems to duplicate some functions that can be found in computer-based transmitters - like mixing.

As a noobee gyro user, it has way more capability than I can presently use. Maybe as I gain experience with gyros, I will be able to take advantage of what it can do.

I would like to see a "How-To" document for the Bluelight gyro similar to the one written by Melnic for the ORX (Post #300 on page 20 of this thread)

I am tempted to order one - but will wait for some feedback from the early adopters in the crowd. I eagerly await your reports.

In the meantime, I have my ORX and my Guardian to keep me busyt.

Curt
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:10 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,796 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
.....I haven't flown much in a few days. Searching for a motor cycle......

Here ya go, Rn.......

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Aug 31, 2012, 12:10 PM
Fly Low Fly Fast Fly Often
Glendale, Arizona
Joined Jul 2007
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
Good stuff John. Thanks for the heads up. For another $35 I don't think I would bother with anymore ORXs

Kev
I tried my Orange again in a 38" foamie and got exactly the same results. You get a whole 2 to 3 degrees of pot rotation to go from 0 to 100% so I removed it from the plane.

There is another super versatile one that I found while looking for stabilization devices. The info is here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post22603339

Cheers, JR
jjr2001 is offline Find More Posts by jjr2001