SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:58 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
The Manual

It would appear that HobbyKing read our posts.

They have made a manual and an addendum available at http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html
Just in case you have trouble finding it there, I have attached them to this reply.

The title is not completely consistent with the hardware, but it looks like it will work.
CurtissP40 is online now Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:09 PM
Home of A-10 - Farmingdale NY
United States, NH, Londonderry
Joined Dec 2006
936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsumner View Post
I saw they were available earlier today and ordered one, to bad about no manual but not surprised. It looks like there is a battery connection, I thought it would get its power from the receiver through the servo leads (male to male jumpers)?
Yeah I just looked and they are now on backorder.....can't wait for someone to give this stabilizer a review.

Of course it's not at the level of an Eagle Tree Guardian but for $15 it will be interesting to see what it can do..with the hope that there will be a slightly more capable version (supporting elevon and V-Tail configurations) coming out in the near future.

This is yet another step forward in the RC flying hobby, allowing flying in higher wind conditions, flying aerodynamically "challenging" RC models, taking some of the worry out of take off's and landings....and making it easier for newer pilots to begin the hobby of RC flying.

As the cost of stabilizers drop and their functionality increases, I'm sure more and more people will begin flying with them...and at some point they might get to be quite common.

Question - What is the major difference between the HK i86AP Board and the OrangeRX 3-Axis Stabilizer...is it just weight?

We live in interesting times...indeed.

Thanks,
-mike-
boiko is offline Find More Posts by boiko
Last edited by boiko; Aug 02, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:18 PM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
I've ordered both this and the i86AP flight stabilisation board, but received neither yet. I'm wondering if the instruction manual for the i86AP http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4X53414X57.pdf
would be of any help with the orange flight stabiliser?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:25 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Yeah I just looked and they are now on backorder.....-
Looks like you were just a bit too slow, I ordered mine this morning, about 5 hours ago and they showed 10+ in stock.
greedyg76 is online now Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:27 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiko View Post
Yeah I just looked and they are now on backorder.....can't wait for someone to give this stabilizer a review.

Of course it's not at the level of an Eagle Tree Guardian but for $15 it will be interesting to see what it can do..with the hope that there will be a slightly more capable version (supporting elevon and V-Tail configurations) coming out in the near future.

This is yet another step forward in the RC flying hobby, allowing flying in higher wind conditions, flying aerodynamically "challenging" RC models, taking some of the worry out of take off's and landings....and making it easier for newer pilots to begin the hobby of RC flying.

As the cost of stabilizers drop and their functionality increases, I'm sure more and more people will begin flying with them...and at some point they might get to be quite common.

Question - What is the major difference between the HK i86AP Board and the OrangeRX 3-Axis Stabilizer...is it just weight?

We live in interesting times...indeed.

Thanks,
-mike-
Mike,

I purchased one of the E-flite micro Migs with AS3X and it really works great! I went out to our field last Saturday with 15-18Mph winds and the Mig was easily my best flier in the trunk! I also had a Spitfire with wing loading in the high 20's that I thought would handle the winds with no trouble but it was bounced around.

These are cool times indeed to be in the hobby! I started back in 1971 and sure love the Electric revolution!

Denny
Dennis Sumner is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Dennis Sumner; Aug 06, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:54 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
The Manual vs the Device

With no device to check, the manual appears to support fixed wing aircraft.

I have produced a larger, easier to read version, with the addendum grafted onto the last page.

Unfortunately, it is 12MB in size which exceeds RC Group's PDF size limit.

If you want a copy, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you.

Curt
(AKA Cousin Weakeyes/Mr Magoo)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:11 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
My son installed one in his Bixler just for testing purposes. Not that a Bixler needs any stabilization, but it was simply for a bench test.

It does all the quick corrections and motions, just like the AS3X in the Micro Gee Bee.

I have a Parkzone Albatros D-Va ordered that might get this unit installed.

I'm lucky, I have a 22 year old electronics/computer whiz to figure out all the technical stuff.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Troutbum.
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:47 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
8.5 x 11 Manual

I squeezed the original 12MB version down to just under 3MB, so RC Groups attachment system shouldn't choke.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2012, 12:00 PM
Novice in training
United States, NC, Statesville
Joined Aug 2011
708 Posts
These things must be a hot ticket. They are out again. For the price its worth trying them out. Hopefully they will get more soon.
JoshB is offline Find More Posts by JoshB
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
Well trout, what's the verdict?
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 05, 2012, 05:25 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Windy weather all weekend, no flying for us.
Yea, I know, the stabilizer should help in the wind, but it's too gusty for experimental flights

Maybe next week.

Denny, aka Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:02 AM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
This seems to be just what the doctor ordered...does anyone else have a turnigy 9x or flysky9x radio as i do... I guess theres a switch you have to setup to turn this on or off,which is pretty cool...anyone plan on installing in an EDF jet...I can't wait to hear more about this...i have only been flying for a few months now,but love this hobby...I have several planes already built which are mainly warbirds...this device will really take the nerves off and i will get these birds in the air...
hate2crash is offline Find More Posts by hate2crash
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:08 AM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
I was told to purchase this FY-30A theres a lot of demo video's of it on utube... it seems to do exactly what the HK unit does but it cost $140. I think HK just copied it...
Old Aug 06, 2012, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2010
1,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
My son installed one in his Bixler just for testing purposes. Not that a Bixler needs any stabilization, but it was simply for a bench test.

It does all the quick corrections and motions, just like the AS3X in the Micro Gee Bee.

I have a Parkzone Albatros D-Va ordered that might get this unit installed.

I'm lucky, I have a 22 year old electronics/computer whiz to figure out all the technical stuff.

Thanks for the link to the manual.

Troutbum.
I have a couple of EDF's also on there way this should be perfect for...Please keep everyone posted of your results..goodluck
Old Aug 06, 2012, 04:11 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hate2crash View Post
I was told to purchase this FY-30A theres a lot of demo video's of it on utube... it seems to do exactly what the HK unit does but it cost $140. I think HK just copied it...
The FY-30A has accelerometers, does quads, outputs attitude data, and stabilizes a camera gimbal. It's a totally different animal, and way more capable than the Orange 3g.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite