HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:58 AM
Fly Hiiii
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jul 2006
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
Thanks Fred, so I've wasted $4 on two servo reversers, though maybe they'll come in useful somewhere. Question is why did OrangeRX reverse one of the aileron outputs if physically reversed aileron servos is always/usually the case?
I think there might be some cases that two aileron servos are not installed reversed. But as you mentioned it is rare.
fdaremi is offline Find More Posts by fdaremi
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:06 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdaremi View Post
Walt,

Is the center of rotation equal to CG or somewhere else?

Fred
Good question.
Gotta put some thought into that...............
Okay, I'm back.
I think (probably be lots of controversy about this) that it will depend on things like: high wing - low wing, where the center of force (COF) is in the three axes. I don't know what the aero jargon is for it, but that is the sailboat jargon. So I guess for roll and pitch that would be something like the geometric center of the horizontal surfaces as seen from the top - and for yaw it would be the geometric center of the vertical surfaces as seen from the side.
So that would be somewhere behind the CG for pitch and roll. For yaw it seems like it would depend on the profile of the 'fuse and vertical stab.
It is the line at which you would expect the plane to rotate when the rudder is activated. Same for the ailerons and same for the elevator. Then the optimal point for the sensor is the point where those three lines cross. I guess if you REALLY want to get picky, you should locate the sensor chip that is within the case at the point I described.

Does that make sense?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:07 AM
United States, MA, Boston
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
Has anyone had any luck using dual aileron servos? Help!

I have dual aileron servos, when connected to the flight stabilizer they move in the same direction!! Here's what I've tried so far: reversing the channels in the transmitter, reversing the switch on the stabilizer (just reverses the correction direction), and swapping the aileron output wires (left and right).
I just got mine last night and had the same thing happen. I just plugged both servos into a Y harness which I plugged into one of the tow aileron outputs and it set things right.

I'm hoping to test it out tomorrow morning. The gain adjustment is VERY sensitive. with a 10-15 degree turn it will go from making small control surface adjustments in response to movement to FULL SWING dramatic adjustments, maxing to one side or the other. However, overall the functionality seems identical to what I see on an AS3X plane I have.

I put it in an eflight Taylorcraft that is brand new - so I will be testing it on my maiden flight. Probably dumb, but it really does seem to be doing what it is supposed to, so I'm going to go for it.
nfsiv is offline Find More Posts by nfsiv
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:23 AM
Fly Hiiii
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Jul 2006
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Good question.
Gotta put some thought into that...............
Okay, I'm back.
I think (probably be lots of controversy about this) that it will depend on things like: high wing - low wing, where the center of force (COF) is in the three axes. I don't know what the aero jargon is for it, but that is the sailboat jargon. So I guess for roll and pitch that would be something like the geometric center of the horizontal surfaces as seen from the top - and for yaw it would be the geometric center of the vertical surfaces as seen from the side.
So that would be somewhere behind the CG for pitch and roll. For yaw it seems like it would depend on the profile of the 'fuse and vertical stab.
It is the line at which you would expect the plane to rotate when the rudder is activated. Same for the ailerons and same for the elevator. Then the optimal point for the sensor is the point where those three lines cross. I guess if you REALLY want to get picky, you should locate the sensor chip that is within the case at the point I described.

Does that make sense?

Walt
Thanks,
Yes it absolutely makes sense. I can figure out the geometric center of the vertical and horizontal surfaces. But I can't estimate the line at which rudder rotate the plane. I am going to mount my ORX behind the CG as you suggeted, not to be picky .

Fred
fdaremi is offline Find More Posts by fdaremi
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
I would not over think location. It only measures rotational forces, and since the plane is a rigid object those should not change. If you mounted it way out on the tail or on the tip of one wing the lateral and vertical acceleration would be dramatically different than from the center plane, but the changes in pitch/roll/yaw would remain the same. It is probably best to have it in the center of the plane, so those other forces don't mess with the sensors, but I would not freak out about putting the actual sensor at dead center.

If someone physics literate knows better, please correct me.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,077 Posts
I'm sure this has been asked, but I seem to have missed it somewhere, but, can this be turned off in flight?

I have placed a order to Fiber Optic Inc. They are a little more expensive than HK, but if ya want one fast.

I just got a email from them and they are expecting a shipment in on Friday.

Fiber Optic Inc.Is in Northern CA.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:39 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Cannot be turned off in flight or on the ground short of removing the juice or physically disconnecting it.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:01 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,294 Posts
It doesnt matter where it is as the whole plane rotates the same amount be it a wing tip or the CoG the distance may be more at the tip but the Rotational angle is the same and its rotation the unit measures not distance

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:23 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
I'm about to test one of these on my E-Flite Ultimate FX Bipe.

According to HK, the presets are at 50%. Is that a good place to start with the gains? Or should I decrease or increase the gains for the very first flight?
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:29 AM
Joined Oct 2010
169 Posts
They seemed a bit high to me out of the bag, but it is hard to say how closely my yanking the plan around in my house imitates the actual movement in flight, so maybe I was just overdoing my simulation. I would turn the plan 15 degrees fairly quickly (like a gust hitting it in flight) and the rudder would go FULL to one side to correct. That seemed like more than was needed.

As others have noted, if they are too high it will cause problems, if they are too low, well, it is just like flying without it.

Also, even when they are low, you will get servo chatter, and the higher they go, the more you get.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
Thanks, Dave, that's good news! They are BK right now but I checked to have them e-mail me as soon as they get stock. Then I'll order a couple and see how they work. Sounds cool!
Don't wait until you get the email, they will already be sold out. Just put it in your cart and pay for it now to get your name on the list. These things are going like hotcakes!
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Fly it low.. and fly it fast!
United States, MA, Westport
Joined Nov 2011
1,775 Posts
Alright, I turned them down just a little bit counter clockwise to give about 35% to 40% instead of 50%.

I'll try it out like this and see how she does.

Thanks!
Hit N Run is online now Find More Posts by Hit N Run
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill0 View Post

I have placed a order to Fiber Optic Inc. They are a little more expensive than HK, but if ya want one fast.

I just got a email from them and they are expecting a shipment in on Friday.

Fiber Optic Inc.Is in Northern CA.
Do you have a link to this company?

Nevermind just got it: http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/st...3f3315e5aa5d72

how much was shipping?
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Aug 2010
1,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greedyg76 View Post
Do you have a link to this company?

Nevermind just got it: http://www.fiberopticproducts.com/st...3f3315e5aa5d72

how much was shipping?
9.00 for two, and since you live in Ca. you get to pay sales tax too.
Bill0 is offline Find More Posts by Bill0
Old Aug 16, 2012, 11:49 AM
Semper Fi
Joined Mar 2009
943 Posts
Damn site cheaper than that UK guy on ebay....