HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2013, 12:18 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
The Guardian offers features and control modes that can be used to fine tune your gyro experience waaaaaay better than the basic 3AX units.....but you pay for that simple.

If used as is the 3AX is a basic 3 axis rate gyro that will smooth out flight in gusty winds etc.

It also can help with 3d with the gains up high....but it can be hard to set up at that level of gain.

Other uses are stabilising basic camera platforms to smooth the video, we are not talking about horizon following super stable just smoothing out footage.

For the price it make an excellent start point to have an experiment, some find that what they give is all they want or need and stay with them

Others find it ignites a spark of curiosity and move up to more complex ones.

Give one a go, for the price there is nothing to loose......but set it up correct....remember check/check/check........

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
The Guardian offers features and control modes that can be used to fine tune your gyro experience waaaaaay better than the basic 3AX units.....but you pay for that simple.

If used as is the 3AX is a basic 3 axis rate gyro that will smooth out flight in gusty winds etc.

It also can help with 3d with the gains up high....but it can be hard to set up at that level of gain.

Other uses are stabilising basic camera platforms to smooth the video, we are not talking about horizon following super stable just smoothing out footage.

For the price it make an excellent start point to have an experiment, some find that what they give is all they want or need and stay with them

Others find it ignites a spark of curiosity and move up to more complex ones.

Give one a go, for the price there is nothing to loose......but set it up correct....remember check/check/check........

Dave
Thanks for the great info Dave, just what I wanted to hear.

I've ordered HK 6 Channel RX3AX and V2 units to play with.

My planes tend to be mostly high value or highly valued that I try hard not to crash. Can anyone here recommend an inexpensive RTF/ARF/BNF sturdy foamie that would make a good gyro test platform? I also have a Apprentice 15e trainer, would this be a good gyro test platform?

Thanks again!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Last edited by itsme2; Nov 12, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 02:58 PM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,111 Posts
Quote:

Dave
Only a model if you get it wrong. Ask me how I know.
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2013, 03:19 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Indeed get the setup wrong on this, or any other 3 axis gyro and the results can range from the unexpected to the spectacular(not in a good way). Sometimes when setting up you look and look and look and still get something the wrong way.......been there.......also it is sooo tempting to go for big deflections of the gyro......but less is more here and it take quite small movements to get a nice result (unless 3d ing) The more expensive units from Guardian and the like let you adjust the gain whilst in flight or have 3 pre set rates etc and that makes it much easier to set up.

Also when setting up I always put the on/off channel to switch that is in easy reach with both thumbs still on the sticks so it can be knocked off real easy at least till its dialled in.

Most of my planes with gyros, once dialled in have the units on all the time and rarely need the off and on........but whilst setting up its a must, I nearly destroyed my first plane with V1 in it as the elevator was so sensitive it was like a bucking bronco trying to self destruct......lol

Go easy on the gains start low and work up in small steps and check everything over and over and once more at the field.....

Dave
Old Nov 12, 2013, 04:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,491 Posts
HK has the ET Guardian for $63.74 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...+tree+guardian is this the same unit sold elsewhere for $75.00?

Thank you!
itsme2 is offline Find More Posts by itsme2
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:26 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
HK has the ET Guardian for $63.74 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...+tree+guardian is this the same unit sold elsewhere for $75.00?

Thank you!
From the photo it appears to be the same device I purchased from Tower Hobbies. It has a Gyro and an Accelerometer with a more powerful processor and firmware with more features. The RX3S only has a Gyro.

I have not tried my yet, too many toys - not enough time.

I am still happy the the RX3S and Open FlightStab Firmware.

John
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Nov 12, 2013, 06:28 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2011
863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme2 View Post
I'm very interested in trying gyro setups in some of my planes and am considering the ET Guardian and 3AX units. The Guardian seems to be very complex to set up, is it really worth the trouble for the extra features versus using the simpler 3AX unit?

Thank you!
What is a 3AX? Is that just a different name for an HK RX3S V2 or V3 (with Rx)?

John
JohnRB is online now Find More Posts by JohnRB
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:15 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,965 Posts
Orange 3 AXIS Stabilizer

Interesting flight Friday with my Decathlon. Turning from upwind the plane begin to buck and roll almost uncontrollably. Switching off the gyro steadied things down. I at first thought the gyro had failed but upon landing I noticed the gyro hanging loose on the wires. My old double sided tape had failed. Sure am glad I had the switch setup to turn off the gyro. Note to self, toss out the old tape
Gary
Gary Hoorn is online now Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:03 PM
Blacksburg, VA 24060 USA
Joined Feb 2000
3,230 Posts
Gary Hoorn,

Thanks for your suggestion. Though my gyros are in plain sight, so I can easily check the mount, your warning serves well when setting up a gyro that's out of sight inside a fuselage.

I would also add that weird gyro behavior can be caused by control surface linkages that aren't tight, permitting flutter that the gyro may try, unsuccessfully, to correct.

Jim R.
JRuggiero is online now Find More Posts by JRuggiero
Old Nov 24, 2013, 12:19 PM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRuggiero View Post
Gary Hoorn,

Thanks for your suggestion. Though my gyros are in plain sight, so I can easily check the mount, your warning serves well when setting up a gyro that's out of sight inside a fuselage.

I would also add that weird gyro behavior can be caused by control surface linkages that aren't tight, permitting flutter that the gyro may try, unsuccessfully, to correct.

Jim R.
+1 on this, as with any servo controlled by a feedback loop type system such as this it is very important to remove all slop from the linkages, hinges and servos themselves. Also as the servos will be constantly 'hunting' as they correct faster servos are better as are those with metal gears as cheap plastic gear servos get overworked with a gyro, remember helis have used gyros for years and some of the most expensive servos are tail rotor ones.

Dave
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:25 AM
The sky is the limit
Belgium, Vlaams Gewest, Hasselt
Joined Aug 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
+1 on this, as with any servo controlled by a feedback loop type system such as this it is very important to remove all slop from the linkages, hinges and servos themselves. Also as the servos will be constantly 'hunting' as they correct faster servos are better as are those with metal gears as cheap plastic gear servos get overworked with a gyro, remember helis have used gyros for years and some of the most expensive servos are tail rotor ones.

Dave
I think you made a point here. These stabilizers are not bad at all, even the series 1, but most people tend to try these out on an "expandable cheap" and often worn out model. Because of the lesser quality servo's and accumulated play on control surfaces, their test planes show weird behavior and they blame the stabilizers for that, discarding a cheap piece of fine equipment because they don't trust it on their more expensive "serious" planes. Just like you wouldn't consider driving a car with play in the steering system over a German autobahn, don't even think of flying with play on the flight control system. As power steering wouldn't help in the car, gyro's won't help in an aircraft.
BAF23 is offline Find More Posts by BAF23
Old Nov 25, 2013, 04:32 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Yep, as I am also a heli flyer the importance slop free linkages is something that is natural to me.

Dave
Old Nov 25, 2013, 07:27 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,177 Posts
Tried my first one on an old beater Twist 3D and as you say, didn't make much difference, and was getting surface flutter without even launching, as the surfaces were over running with the slop, trying to keep up with the gyros. I replaced all the surface horns and it made a different plane out of it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 25, 2013, 08:40 AM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,810 Posts
My first gyro experiment was with the "Ice Man" . Nice setup. Installed it in a PZ-28 which had become my experimental platform. Got her up in the air no problem. Was entirely focused on watching the plane's behavior and lost track of my heading. Smack ! Direct hit into oak tree. A bag full of foam pieces. LOL. Have this Orange version installed in my Durafly Spitty and am testing per Dave's rec's. A little at a time. So far, so good.

-Hawk
dahawk47 is online now Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Nov 26, 2013, 12:58 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,276 Posts
I was hopeing to use one of my 3 axis orange RX's in my new plane. but cant, as I have spoilerons / flaperons / etc... bummer would have been fun
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89