HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:54 PM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,624 Posts
i figured it out, now i have another problem. ive got it hooked up correct, but the rudder is trying to correct the roll, & the ailerons try to correct the yaw. i switched the servos & the ailerons & elevater are correcting right, but the rudder tries to correct in the wrong direction. any ideas? its actually hooked up wrong by the manual. the rudder & ailerons have been switched. thanks for the input?
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:01 PM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
727 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
i figured it out, now i have another problem. ive got it hooked up correct, but the rudder is trying to correct the roll, & the ailerons try to correct the yaw. i switched the servos & the ailerons & elevater are correcting right, but the rudder tries to correct in the wrong direction. any ideas? its actually hooked up wrong by the manual. the rudder & ailerons have been switched. thanks for the input?
Do you have a picture of how you mounted it? My guess is you have it mounted in the wrong axis. The plugs should either be to the front or the back of the plane, but not to either side. If any surface corrects in the wrong direction, just change the reverse switch for that surface..
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
Will this 3-axis flight stabilizer work on 2-axis planes?

All of my planes (so far) are 3-channel planes, throttle, rudder and elevator. I have the new 808 #16 keychain camera mounted on most of my planes for FPV video recordings. In viewing the FPV videos there is almost always too much movement of the airplane and hence the camera platform. I would love it if this HK flight stabilizer would stabilize my planes so I could get smoother videos.

1. Will this unit stabilize the yaw and pitch of my 3-chan planes without any side effects?

2. Would I just leave the roll axis disconnected?

3. If anyone has experience in doing this, I'd be very interested in the results.
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:17 AM
Is Winterised......
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisgo34 View Post
Here is how it can be mounted, the front of the plane is to the right. You can put it with the connectors at the front or the back it doesnt matter, whatever fits best but you cant fit it across the fuz as the functions will become mixed up.

If it corrects in the wrong direction flick the reverse switch on the ORX it only switches the correction applied not the original servo direction

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
Is Winterised......
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoflyer View Post
All of my planes (so far) are 3-channel planes, throttle, rudder and elevator. I have the new 808 #16 keychain camera mounted on most of my planes for FPV video recordings. In viewing the FPV videos there is almost always too much movement of the airplane and hence the camera platform. I would love it if this HK flight stabilizer would stabilize my planes so I could get smoother videos.

1. Will this unit stabilize the yaw and pitch of my 3-chan planes without any side effects?

2. Would I just leave the roll axis disconnected?

3. If anyone has experience in doing this, I'd be very interested in the results.
The answer is yes to bot questions, just dont connect what you dont have or dont want. I have used it with ailerons not connected and without the elevator connected. The unit is a very simple 3 in one gyro, it doesnt care what functions are connected it still does its stuff.

Dave
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:23 AM
Is Winterised......
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
One more question (sorry, I feel like a noob! My first gyro!): with the flight stabilizer plugged in, my rudder initializes way out of trim. Is it normal for some surfaces?
My ailerons did the same, but it was set to correct the wrong way once I flicked the reverse switch on the ORX it re centred .....check the direction of correction......

Dave
Old Aug 16, 2012, 04:31 AM
United States, GA, Jonesboro
Joined Nov 2010
1,624 Posts
got it all fixed up, thanks for all the help. i think on the i86ap the rudder & aileron channels are mis-labellled, so i switched the wires and had to reverse the rudder. working like a charm. cant wait to try out my first gyro, thanks again
gchrisgo34 is offline Find More Posts by gchrisgo34
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:26 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Mar 2011
220 Posts
Have you tried activating dual ailerons on your transmitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
Has anyone had any luck using dual aileron servos? Help!

I have dual aileron servos, when connected to the flight stabilizer they move in the same direction!! Here's what I've tried so far: reversing the channels in the transmitter, reversing the switch on the stabilizer (just reverses the correction direction), and swapping the aileron output wires (left and right).
Force10 is offline Find More Posts by Force10
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
Here is how it can be mounted, the front of the plane is to the right. You can put it with the connectors at the front or the back it doesnt matter, whatever fits best but you cant fit it across the fuz as the functions will become mixed up.

If it corrects in the wrong direction flick the reverse switch on the ORX it only switches the correction applied not the original servo direction

Dave
Dave:
Looking at the picture of the placement of your ORX, it occurs to me that you might get even more accurate stabilization if you moved it, in the same orientation, closer to the center of rotation of the model. From you picture, that seems like it would be a little aft and a little to starboard (on the center line). And maybe even move it up a little. My reasoning is that the gyro will experience (for example) some lift, that is undesirable, when the plane rolls right or pitches.
[DANG; my spell checker on FireFox keeps trying to make me spell stabilization with an s instead of a z and make me spell center with an re instead of an er, did you do that to my computer, eh? ]

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:49 AM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,326 Posts
Yes. But that uses channel 5, and the stabilizer only has one aileron input (channel 1).

The y-splitter seems to be the best solution for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force10 View Post
Have you tried activating dual ailerons on your transmitter
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:47 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
The y-splitter seems to be the best solution for now.
I might be missing something here. I use some Y-splitters, typically for retracts, and they produce the same outputs from both tails of the "Y". Is the reason this works for ailerons is that the aileron servos are physically reversed, so the same signal applied to both will move one aileron up and the other down? It's difficult to work this stuff out when my own OrangeRXs haven't arrived yet. Soon!
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:50 AM
United States, TX, Richardson
Joined Oct 2011
272 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
The answer is yes to bot questions, just dont connect what you dont have or dont want. I have used it with ailerons not connected and without the elevator connected. The unit is a very simple 3 in one gyro, it doesnt care what functions are connected it still does its stuff.

Dave
Thanks, Dave, that's good news! They are BK right now but I checked to have them e-mail me as soon as they get stock. Then I'll order a couple and see how they work. Sounds cool!
fotoflyer is offline Find More Posts by fotoflyer
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:25 AM
Fly Hiiii
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Joined Jul 2006
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard9999 View Post
I might be missing something here. I use some Y-splitters, typically for retracts, and they produce the same outputs from both tails of the "Y". Is the reason this works for ailerons is that the aileron servos are physically reversed, so the same signal applied to both will move one aileron up and the other down? It's difficult to work this stuff out when my own OrangeRXs haven't arrived yet. Soon!
The answer is yes. The aileron servos are physically reversed. So just need to parallely connect them together using Y- splitter.

Fred
fdaremi is online now Find More Posts by fdaremi
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:28 AM
Fly Hiiii
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Joined Jul 2006
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Dave:
Looking at the picture of the placement of your ORX, it occurs to me that you might get even more accurate stabilization if you moved it, in the same orientation, closer to the center of rotation of the model. From you picture, that seems like it would be a little aft and a little to starboard (on the center line). And maybe even move it up a little. My reasoning is that the gyro will experience (for example) some lift, that is undesirable, when the plane rolls right or pitches.
[DANG; my spell checker on FireFox keeps trying to make me spell stabilization with an s instead of a z and make me spell center with an re instead of an er, did you do that to my computer, eh? ]

Walt
Walt,

Is the center of rotation equal to CG or somewhere else?

Fred
fdaremi is online now Find More Posts by fdaremi
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
1,416 Posts
Quote:
The answer is yes. The aileron servos are physically reversed. So just need to parallely connect them together using Y- splitter.
Thanks Fred, so I've wasted $4 on two servo reversers, though maybe they'll come in useful somewhere. Question is why did OrangeRX reverse one of the aileron outputs if physically reversed aileron servos is always/usually the case?
richard9999 is offline Find More Posts by richard9999