Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:44 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Discussion
OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer

OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer @HK

I just got the e-mail this morning and they're already backordered; anyone here have one on the way? It's no surprise they're sold out because at just $14.99+25gm shipping, it looks like it could be a very useful widget for any RCer to have in their arsenal. The programmable m168pa chip and ISP header are very intriguing to me, and I also wonder why the format isn't specified (DSM/FHSS). Could the format be programmable? Does that mean DSM2+RSSI may become a reality? [<---edit: It's not an rx, LOL!]

Perhaps other members may know more about this and can fill us in by posting here.

Below quoted from the HK website:

Quote:
Utilizing a single high precision 3-axis MEMS gyro, the OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer is capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft! It provides added stability by automatically correcting the aileron, elevator and rudder channels in flight. This compensates for unwanted changes in the airplane's attitude due to wind and other factors. In short, it makes your airplane much more stable in flight!

The OrangeRX 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer is great for those who tend to fly in windy conditions, as it will compensate for wind gusts that would normally push your model around. It's also an ideal add-on to your favorite FPV model to keep it on the straight and level while flying.

This unit is very simple to install and use. The adjustable gain settings are pre-set to 50% offering mild stabilization. You can easily adjust the gain for each channel as desired to increase or decrease the compensation for the respective channel (AIL, ELE, RUD).

Because we design, test and manufacture these units completely in-house (from 3D/2D drawing to materials sourcing, final assembly etc.) we can completely control production and ensure product consistency from design right through to shipping the product to you. Also, the removal of middle-men has meant we can drive better value to the market and retail these units at factory(our) prices!

Features:
Capable of stabilizing flight on just about any fixed wing aircraft
Supports 3D flight without undermining stability
Independent gyro gain adjustment for aileron, elevator and rudder
Easy-to-access gyro reversing switches on front of unit
Compact and light weight design

Specs:
Size: 51x32x14mm
Weight: 14g
IC: Atmega168PA
Gyro: 3-Axis MEMS
Input Voltage: 4.8-6.0V
AVR interface: Standard 6 pin
Signal from Receiver: 1520us
Signal to Servo: 1520us
Thanks HK!!! KK2, AS3x, and all other new goodies are making 2012 an interesting year!

Kev

[edit: Melnic brought it to my attention that folks have been downloading outdated versions of his manual. I attached the updated version to this post for easy access. Please PM me if there are any other important bits of info that need to be added to the OP.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Sep 24, 2012 at 12:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:18 PM
Just Fly!
United States, WV, Bridgeport
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
My son ordered two of those last week. I suppose he got in before they were backordered.
Since we use DSM2/DSMX radios, if they were not compatible, he would not have ordered them.

We'll know when they get here.

Troutbum
Troutbum is offline Find More Posts by Troutbum
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:08 AM
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
My son ordered two of those last week. I suppose he got in before they were backordered.
Since we use DSM2/DSMX radios, if they were not compatible, he would not have ordered them.

We'll know when they get here.

Troutbum
This is just a stabilizer module, not a receiver and as such should work in concert with any receiver regardless.
cginzel is offline Find More Posts by cginzel
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:06 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
That explains why they're not DSM or FHSS.

Kev
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:06 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
Compatibility

I agree, the Orange RX label and case color is somewhat misleading. This is simply a 3 axis gryro which installs between your existing Rx and servos, so there would be no compatibility issues at all. Let's post up our reviews as soon as we start to get them in our hot little hands...
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:46 PM
Just Fly!
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cginzel View Post
This is just a stabilizer module, not a receiver and as such should work in concert with any receiver regardless.
Yes, after looking at them again, I figured that out.

The package just arrived. When my son gets home. I will know more.

Troutbum
Old Aug 01, 2012, 07:53 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Does anybody have a manual for this system?

I think it's safe to say it would be a significant factor in our decision to buy one (or more).

If you have one - would you post it?

I doubt it would violate any copyrights. And it would likely generate more sales.
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:22 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,493 Posts
it's available again today
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:13 AM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
265 Posts
Do somebody got user manual?
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Aug 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
Semper Fi
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Mar 2009
974 Posts
Looking at the pictures, it seems there is 1 input for ailerons but 2 outputs. I assume this means you no longer need a Y-cable for dual aileron servos on a single channel?
greedyg76 is offline Find More Posts by greedyg76
Last edited by greedyg76; Aug 02, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:27 PM
Just Fly!
Joined Feb 2011
220 Posts
Ours arrived yesterday. No manual or such.
Maybe some flight testing this weekend.

Troutbum
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:53 PM
Bona Fide Cub Nut
Northwest Oregon
Joined Jan 2006
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbum View Post
ours arrived yesterday. No manual or such.
Troutbum
aarrrggghh!!!
CurtissP40 is offline Find More Posts by CurtissP40
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:26 PM
1000MIGLIA City - Italy
Joined Mar 2012
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troutbum View Post
Ours arrived yesterday. No manual or such.

Troutbum
AHHHHHRRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!
I ordered mine yesterday, but I'm totally disappointed about no manuals.

Do you know nothing about AVR-ISP plugs?
rosnik is online now Find More Posts by rosnik
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
How disappointing! I was hoping HK would put the manual in the files section before anyone actually received their unit, but apparently they did not. The header is obviously the last 2 triplets on the PCB; perhaps we could reverse the pinouts with a good upclose pic of the PCB, if anyone feels comfy opening theirs up?

I am curious if the factory FW is readable, and can't wait to see what talented programmers come up with. Right now it's just a black box FC with reverse switches and P gain pots, in what I assume is a standard airplane config. That should be fairly easy to figure out following general FC setup methods (check gyro and tx reverses, start with pots in the middle, and flight test/tune gains). In the long run, by price alone, I believe the Orange will do better than this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rol_Board.html

That one clearly has pads for a programmer, but not sure if anyone has done anything with it yet, and the orange is cheaper and I guess has a prettier package. Then again, I prefer Rolf's KK boards anyways; those are uber flexible and well supported, and cheap! This Orange might appeal to the non-DIY/PNP type modelers though (fills in the PNP market at a lower price point than the KK2). BTW, I added a link to the HK website on the OP; easier to check that it is once again, out of stock.

Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Aug 02, 2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:49 PM
Wanted for breaking OHM's law
United States, MI, Canton
Joined Sep 2002
1,698 Posts
I saw they were available earlier today and ordered one, to bad about no manual but not surprised. It looks like there is a battery connection, I thought it would get its power from the receiver through the servo leads (male to male jumpers)?
Dennis Sumner is offline Find More Posts by Dennis Sumner
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Throw Gauge