SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:07 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Jan 2007
46 Posts
Discussion
3 axis stabilizer by HK

Ever since the Carbon Cub came out I was looking for a way to stabilize my small planes in the wind. I think this is the answer at a reasonable cost.
Anybody out there have experience with the HK version of the 3 axis stabilizer? Any issues setting them up?
Early is offline Find More Posts by Early
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
Just saw this myself in the Flight Deck email this morning. There's one review on their site, but since it's so new makes me wonder where he got his.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:58 AM
Joined Jan 2007
46 Posts
Agreed,
I placed an order for two but they are on BO.
I know the technology works and I have had good luck with the Orange brand so I would expect this to be a fairly good product as well.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:15 AM
fly and then fly some more!
Springdale, AR
Joined Dec 2006
2,178 Posts
I am curious how this hooks up. Is this actually a rx too? What brand radio does it work with?
nickelbn1 is offline Find More Posts by nickelbn1
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jul 2009
386 Posts
BO already? I need to put together another HK order myself. I always split the BO from available items or nothing ships. Might order one of these. I'm assembling a World Models Spitfire that is turning into a pig. I wonder if this would help. Gonna call her the Pigspit. Gotta get some nose art.

I just read that as of tomorrow EMS shipping is going to start using package size and weight as opposed to just weight. Whichever is greater.
onewire is offline Find More Posts by onewire
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:48 AM
Low'n Slow is safest, right?
Norge, Østfold, Fredrikstad
Joined Jun 2011
553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelbn1 View Post
I am curious how this hooks up. Is this actually a rx too? What brand radio does it work with?
It is put between your receiver and the servos, so it is plug'n play with all radio systems using the normal type servos. Just remember to get male to male servo leads to go from receiver to stabilizer...
KaiWE is offline Find More Posts by KaiWE
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jan 2007
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiWE View Post
It is put between your receiver and the servos, so it is plug'n play with all radio systems using the normal type servos. Just remember to get male to male servo leads to go from receiver to stabilizer...
Thanks for that information KaiWE
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:21 PM
Magic Valley Airforce
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Use of rudder only on the HK 3 Axis flight stabilizer

I just receuved my HK stabilizer and need to know if I can use it for rudder only, bypassing any other electrical connections?

Just need to help control Cub on take off.

Thanks,

Gary
Roo man is offline Find More Posts by Roo man
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:40 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
I just purchased a used one, and have it right here in front of me, and it works just fine with the rudder servo plugged into the gyro, and the others plugged into the RX. This is a bench test only, but it works for me.
Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:34 PM
Magic Valley Airforce
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Feb 2008
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
I just purchased a used one, and have it right here in front of me, and it works just fine with the rudder servo plugged into the gyro, and the others plugged into the RX. This is a bench test only, but it works for me.
Roy
Thanks Mr. foambuilder.

Gary
Roo man is offline Find More Posts by Roo man
Old Nov 14, 2012, 08:48 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
I have one in my FMS 750MM P47, and it was revealed to me that because the stabilizer is going to be "double-timing" the servos, it would behoove most to install some sort of BEC between the battery and the receiver, and plug it into the battery inlet on the receiver as a failsafe. But that aside the Orange I have is doing great with bench testing, however I'm not putting it up until the SBEC (in my case) is installed. All settings are 50% from the factory, and I've heard some people having little adjustment before 50%, and way too much past it. Mine has adjustment through the entire travel of each pot, so I guess maybe I got a good one, but for 15 bucks you can't go wrong. Only thing sucked was waiting for it to arrive from Hong Kong...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:09 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo man View Post
Thanks Mr. foambuilder.

Gary
You are welcome Gary. I have an old 3D foamy that I am going to try mine on, just for grins. should be over there doing it now
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:19 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Mar 2012
137 Posts
I have one, been happy with it. As mentioned above my pots only adjust above 50%, so its very touchy when adjusting since your only working with the top 50% of the pot. Other then that it does what it says it does.
Krash n Burn is offline Find More Posts by Krash n Burn
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:22 PM
United States, MN, Avoca
Joined Nov 2012
74 Posts
does it support AVCS and gyro off?
Bigbond is offline Find More Posts by Bigbond
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:27 PM
United States, AR, Lavaca
Joined Aug 2002
68 Posts
Stabilizer

This is not for heli use so AVCS is not supported. You cannot remotely adjust the gain or turn off. I had to go from a 2Amp BEC to a 3 Amp to make up the additional current draw. I suspected that and tested on the bench and I would. Get error LEDs on my Spektrum receiver with 2and they did not occurr with 3 Amps.
Initial flight tests were good but I have not done any fine tuning of the gain yet. If you only want to control rudder I think it would work but I would use a regular piezo gyro for that.
tlrascal is offline Find More Posts by tlrascal