Ditto!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,163 Posts
Awsome project ...what a craftsman. keep us posted ,how did they fly as slopers? did the wing swing then too?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:27 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
MLG coming along slowly

HI BJ,

I have not done a great deal on the F-111 lately due to a serious illness in the family.

Before that I did manage to do a bit more on the MLG and I think I have the geometry about right. See photos below for more details:

Another challenge is when the gear is down the shocks splay out on an angle which is larger than the rear bulkhead that it attaches to. I cannot make the bulkhead any wider as it would interfere with the air intakes on each side.
I think the fix might be to sneek the gear forward slightly then the bulkhead could be a bit wider and the shocks would then clear. To do that would mean that the overall length of the MLG when retracted would have to be a bit shorter as there is structure in front of the gear. To make the gear shorter when retracted the only thing that I can make shorter would be the black plastic swing arm sections.
To make those shorter would mean making custom arms myself and right now time is a bit of a problem as I go to the hospital ever day after work.

AIRSALLY,

They flew great as slope soarers and yes the wings swept back
in flight. We had three positions set up using the flap switch: Full forward, Mid position and Full back.

Cheers,

Hawk124.
Hawk124 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk124
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:00 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,186 Posts
Thanks for the update, Hawk

But that all takes a backseat to whatever is happening in your life - I don't want to pry, but I do hope that you are ok.

We can talk about F-111's any time, but your health is more important.

Take care mate, and God Bless.

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
25,186 Posts
Heya Hawk

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Hopefully, all is good news your end.

If you get the chance and feel like it, it'd be great to hear how things are going mate.

Respect.

BJ
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Jan 20, 2013, 02:57 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
699 Posts
Any additional news on this great build Hawk??
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:34 AM
USA, IN, Norman
Joined Nov 2007
168 Posts
Great build! I'm looking to start an F-111F this year. If you would be willing, I'd like to get your notes on your landing gear. I'm almost finished with the plans. Hoping to start building the mold here soon (fiberglass).

Are the control surfaces on the wings purely flaps? I had considered not using any control surfaces on the wings. I got that idea from (Can't remember the builders name)'s F-14. He Left the wings without control surfaces and felt it landed just fine. I need to find that kit again. It was a great looking F-14.
RCB1 is offline Find More Posts by RCB1
Last edited by RCB1; Jan 24, 2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 05:35 AM
Joined Aug 2013
41 Posts
Hi Hawk,

And everyone else...

Not much movement in this thread and I hope that doesn't mean grim news.

Any more information on the landing gear would be highly interesting to see.

What sort of gear doors are planned? If it's the same as the real Pig what spec of servo is planned to overcome all that drag?

What about the read door, any photos?

I hope all is well......

Cheers,
Jim.
JimFromAus is offline Find More Posts by JimFromAus