HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Build Log
Aussie F-111C (Pig) with twin 70mm CS10 blade fans

A tale of two Pigs.

About 7 years ago a mate and I built two F-111's for slope soaring on windy days.

My mates F-111 was in Camo Colours but unfortunately the frontend was remodeled on the maiden due to a radio problem. The reciever was placed under the wing carry-through box that was made with a lot carbon fibre that sheilded it and therefore didnt have full range.
Anyway quite a few eagle eyed people noticed the wreckage in the background when I posted some photos of my Mirage a while ago. So I will attempt to answer a few questions about the Pigs.

Because both aircraft were started 7 Years ago and a lot of the data was lost when my computer hard drive crashed it will be not possible to provide a true Build Log as such but I will provide as much information as possible along with details on modifing them for EDF's.

My F-111 is in the Grey Scheme of A8-274 from 6 Sqn of the Royal Australian AirForce with the 60th Aniversary White Pig on the Fin. Due to work commitments my F-111 was never fully finnished.

But I hope to finnish it soon so that it will look something like A8-274 below.

Anyway with the advent of the high power EDF's we have both decided to modify them for twin 70mm EDF fans. We looked at fitting 90mm Fans but the fuselage is not quite deep enough. We will also fit retracts .

Fuselage Construction
The fuselage is 1.65M long and constructed using white display grade foam. Three view drawings were obtained and blown up to that size (A0). This makes them about 13th Scale. Templates were then made of the side and top profile of the fuselage and traced onto the central fuselage core. The intakes were also traced out from templates and sanded to shape then epoxied onto each side of the fuselage core.

Wings and Carry-Through Box
Each Wing panel is 800m long plus the carry through box across the middle. The wings are foam core cut from white foam using a root and tip template and hot wire bow. They have a balsa leading edge and are sheeted with 16th Balsa and the wing tip is balsa sanded to shape. To accomodate the wing pivot microply was laminated then epoxied into a slot that was cut along the chord line of the aerofoil. Circular hardwood plugs where then made and fitted to each side of the wing and epoxied into place and finnally a hole was drilled in the middle of the block so that a brass tube could be fitted to act as a bearing.

For the carry through box the front former was made from 12mm balsa as well as the central spine, rear former, diagonal braces and between each wing pivot. Carbon fibre strap was then glued to the floor and top part of the carry through box to act as a bearing for the wing pivot fitting both laterally and longetudenally. The top and bottom of the Box was formed by using microply glued to the formers. And finnally the complete box was sheeted in balsa over the microply.

Wing Sweep
Wing sweep is activated using two heavy duty, metal geared, high torgue servos.
The wings are set-up on the radio to swing to three positions: full back, a mid position and fully forward to about 15 degrees using the three position flap switch on the TX.

Horizontal and Vertical Stabilizers
The Horizontal Stabilizers are made from solid 12mm balsa cut to shape then sanded to an aerofoil profile. As is the Fin. The stabs pivot using two sections of brass tube. The Stabs were mixed for roll and pitch control (elevons). We also added ailerons to improve roll during the gusty days at the slope. The ailerons lock out when the wings are in the full back position.

To Be Continued.......
Hawk124 is offline Find More Posts by Hawk124
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 07:08 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,906 Posts
Awesome!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jul 31, 2012, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Thanks Kevin.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 03:52 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,777 Posts
Very Nice. Something you don't see everyday.

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Aug 01, 2012, 03:46 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Thank-you Dan.

After I have sorted out the intakes and the Fan units the next step will be the undercarriage.

Cheers,

Hawk124.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:12 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
EDF exhausts and intakes

The first step in modifing the F-111's to fit the 70mm Fan units was to bore two 70mm holes up the afterburners using a 70mm Hole saw on a long extention.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:23 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
EDF Exhausts and Air Intakes continued

We then hot wired out the transition space between the round engine cavities and the quarter circle air intakes.

Each intake was then sanded by hand using a balsa dowl and old deoderant with sandpaper wraped around them.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:33 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Air Intakes Continued

The next step was to try and improve the transition from the air intakes to the Fans units aft of the Wing carry through box, To do this I cut out a circlular section from the floor of the Wing Box.

We them sanded the transition shape prior to fitting the floor back on the box.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
705 Posts
Hawk,
OMG what a great piece of work. Glad that you took the time to commence writing this as ever since seeing the photos I have been wondering about it all. I guess I dream about Pigs alot.

Looking forward to any more info you want to pass on.

So when will the production line start and produce these?

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by shanesmadhouse; Aug 03, 2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
A few more shots of the Air Intakes

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the kind words.

After sending you the PM a while ago I managed to find some photos of the F-111 at work. So that's how I have been able to post a few of the early pics during construction.

Yes there is something about the 111 that I like a lot.

I have posted a few more shots of the Intakes for you.

I dont think I will be able to go into production as too much information was lost on my old PC.

If you have any questions I will attempt to answer them for you.

The next big challenge will be the undercarriage and that may take a while but I will keep posting any info as we progress.

Cheers,

Hawk124.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 03:47 PM
Buildings what I enjoy.
Australia, QLD, Witheren
Joined Nov 2007
705 Posts
More than happy with the kind words when they are deserved. Cheers for the photos as it keeps my interest high in the next iteration of F-111 I might build.

One day Xtreme hobbies will finally come out with the much anticipated F-111.
I guess that I really would have to believe in Santa to for that to occur in any hurry.

Shane
shanesmadhouse is offline Find More Posts by shanesmadhouse
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just some of the hanger.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
F-111 Main Landing Gear (MLG) mount and Fan Units.

Hi All,

I've made a start on the MLG mounting still have a fair bit to do but its a start.

The only other thing I got done was the fan units. I will be using a pair of CS10 blade 70mm fans with L2855-2300Kv motors on 5S each.

Cheers,

Hawk124
Old Aug 18, 2012, 02:26 AM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
6,005 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk124 View Post

I dont think I will be able to go into production as too much information was lost on my old PC. Hawk124.
You don't say what went wrong, but if it was just the hard drive, you may be able to recover it . Check with a good computor shop, you might be surprised.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Last edited by CoolerByTheLake; Aug 18, 2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
Capt. Z
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2004
2,655 Posts
Wow great build..Nice work
falcon5 is offline Find More Posts by falcon5
Old Aug 18, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Dec 2008
61 Posts
Hi Cooler,

Thanks for the info I will give it a go.

Falcon5,

Coming from you that means a lot. I have been following your build since day one with great interest.
Fantastic build of the T-38 the canopies will finnish it off nicely.

Cheers,

Hawk124.