HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:03 AM
Joined Dec 2005
1,285 Posts
Discussion
Kits? Arfs? Are they really worth that much?

Ok since I built my first kit (topflite GS corsai) I always browse the classifieds for kits now. Now am I crazy or dont the prices on some older kits way overpriced? Some of these guys act as if a kit is vintage or old its worth mega $ just because. Now these kits are manufactered to be built and flown but after some years the balsa gets really dried out and breaks real easy. Now i know some people collect these things so they will be only bought to say
"I have one" But the majority of us like to build and fly. Of course i just dont buy the gold plated priced kits and move onto the next, but seriosly do airplane kits increase value w age?
helifann is offline Find More Posts by helifann
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Some of the kits that go for big $ are discontinued. People are willing to pay a premium for these. I just built a 40 year old kit and the balsa was just fine. I think it depends on how it was stored. I would love to build the Top Flite FW190 in 1/8 scale...but try finding one NIB. They go for pretty big $
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:29 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
10,777 Posts
Kits sell for whatever a buyer is willing to pay. Hard to find kits obviously sell for more $$$ than those that are more plentiful.

Building from plans eliminates the high cost associated with rare kits. Vintage designs are available.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:25 PM
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
7,008 Posts
What is your time worth...thats how I look at it
turbonut is online now Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:49 PM
Ldm
United States, PA, Conestoga
Joined Jun 2006
7,531 Posts
From what I have seen Royal kits demand the most money on ebay , then some rare Platt kits , certain red box like the P39 go high , as stated its all about what someone is willing to pay .
If you compare them to ARFs you would never buy a kit , the cost of ARFs continues to get better
Ldm is offline Find More Posts by Ldm
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:13 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
7,566 Posts
old model kits.

Nostalgia is worth something to some people,so they'll by a discontinued kit,to build, as you never know when that WILL be the last one available.

Most old kits retain their original value with me,when I have one to resell from estate sales. I never ask more,even for forty year old kits.As an example,a Top Flite Cessna 182 modern kit is about $279 new-I would ask $150 at a sale...But a PICA Cessna 182,at $179 new 30 years ago,will still sell for $179,since they're out of production.

You can compare it to antique car restoration...It's just a different venue.

As usual,we always have the choice to pass them up.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:14 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
Kits sell for whatever a buyer is willing to pay. Hard to find kits obviously sell for more $$$ than those that are more plentiful.

Building from plans eliminates the high cost associated with rare kits. Vintage designs are available.

+1 That is the best answer in a nut shell. If a person wants a particular classic discontinued Kit or ARF, and that person can't find what he is looking for, most of the time when something pops up on ebay, RCG or RCU Market Place- people usually buy it at sellers asking price, or they will try and dicker a bit to lower the cost with the seller.

Here is my experience:

I wanted the discontinued Greatplanes 60 Fokker Dr1 and they discontinued it the same year I got into this hobby. About 3 years ago I wanted one real bad and couldn't find one anywhere I could afford. All the used ones that were so called "flying condition" was going from $400- $600.

I tried to dicker with the seller that was selling his for $400 and he wouldn't budge. (And that's after I told him I would drive 200 miles down there to pick it up and asked him to remove the radio equipment and servos.)

To make a long story short- I waited a year (2 years ago) when I saw that the same guy lowering his price finally on RCU Market Place to $300 because he couldn't sell it. I got his phone number and he said I could have it for that much with the engine and servos.

I drove 400 miles round trip, when I saw it I knew it was far from being in "flying condition." But my wife knew what I was thinking when I first saw it and she whispered in my ear, " I didn't ride down with you this far for you to turn the guy down." So I paid him the money, shook his hand and left for the long ride home.

While in the car I said to her, " No matter what it takes, and no matter how much money, I'm going to make it a masterpiece out of it or darn close to it.

I spent about another $500 to complete it with a lot of scratch made details and parts. So all together I spent about $800-$850 round figure including the airplane price and the long trip to get it. And you know what? I'm still working on it and making some of the details a little better.

Just last week a guy from RCU sent me a email and wrote he had the original stock engine for my plane that was in new condition and never used if I wanted it.

I jumped on it and was willing to pay for it and he wrote back and mentioned that it was for free and he'd ship it out this week out of his own expense. I should get it by Friday or Saturday and I will convert it to look like a Clerget. I asked him why he did that, and that I couldn't thank him enough. And he wrote back that he watched my build thread in RCU from the beginning and was impressed.

So if you see F4UCorsair in the rooms, his name is Dale and he's one of the nicest people I've ever met. At the same time, he's selling his GP Fokker DR1 for $250 without engine on RCU Market Place, it has no stock dummy engine because he wanted to make sure I got a chance to have it first.

Now I see brand new Discontinued GP Fokker DR1s still in the box popping up here and there once in a rare moon on ebay for about $350 on up.

After my planes got in the March issue of Model Aviation on page 82 ( Pearl Harbor Addition) I had a older guy come up to me (saw my build and noticed it in the magazine) who I didn't know, a few weeks ago offered me $1,000 cash for my Dr1 as is. I told him thanks, but not for sale. That's about the coverage pay out I have on it right now with my renters insurance incase of fire, flood or break-in and theft. But of coarse I didn't tell him that.

And that's for a bashed discontinued ARF!

So TomCrump has it 100% correct. The right plane+ the right time+ the right person= BIG BUCKS!

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Last edited by Oberst; Aug 02, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,566 Posts
Helifann-now you have an inkling why some of these models are going higher than you think they should.

You can hear it in his words-this is what it took to make him happy-even his wife knew that.

And the guy that gave him the scale engine heard it also....It's not all about the money...when the right guy gets the right model,good things happen.

Oberst-congratulations man-on the model,AND the wife !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
I called the other smaller evil half over to read what you wrote. My wife and I thank you Earl.

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, NC, Hendersonville
Joined Oct 2009
351 Posts
Oberst- saw you looking for the dummy engine then checked out your build on the Dr1. Great story as well. I will be getting to bashing my GP Dr1 soon. It is in queue after finishing my mossie, H9 Pt-19 (scaling it out) and helping my wife build her TF Elder (got her into the hobby). Thinking of doing Udet's scheme.

But back to topic - Disco kits and Arfs are worth whatever someone is willing to pay - built, NIB, stock, or bashed. I end up with a lot of disco stuff since (knock on wood) I haven't crashed much lately Looking for replacements and parts is sometimes difficult.

Disco stuff I have - MPX Sonic Liner bashed and brushless, GP Dr.1 stock, H9 Pt-19, H9 Funtana .40 (original one still flies the best), GP electric Hellcat (insanely overpowered), Klingberg 2m flying wing glider converted to .10 gas reduced twist and fully aerobatic.

Would really look at any Klingberg, sonic liner, or pt-19 that showed up in any condition.

Have several disco kits as well.

Have recently sold an in the bones Royal Stearman and Royal Stinson SR-9 - both sought after kits, but I basically gave them away local so they would be finished. Could have charged a lot more than I did.
RobMason is offline Find More Posts by RobMason
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,285 Posts
I kinda like everyones responses, but i get the most inspired when i see or read something of a kit that was meant to be built and flown up in the air! Not sitting on a shelf collecting dust and feeding moths because its a rare kit or someone stated its worth $$$$$. Theres an older gentleman at the club i fly at and he has given me several "rare,collectable kits" Because he wants to see them built and flown like they were meant to be, and he said he'll never get around to doing that, he also said if he tried to sell them for what people said they were worth they would never leave the garage, so he just gives them away to someone who has crashed a plane or doesnt have one.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
3,866 Posts
helifann... You have a nice friend giving you free vintage kits there all made to be flown and should be, I find it better when you build it your self as apposed to an ARF.
So you should try and build one and do your best w/ it and your friend will be very appreciative to see what you have done(with the kit) and I think you'll get better satisfaction from that type of a plane because you built it... just my two cents

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,285 Posts
One kit he gave me was a Royal ME109, my son and I built and flown it and the thrill of seeing something you built fly is a reward hard to describe w words!
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:22 PM
Joined Oct 2011
7,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by helifann View Post
One kit he gave me was a Royal ME109, my son and I built and flown it and the thrill of seeing something you built fly is a reward hard to describe w words!
Strange you should bring that up! One club member said he had a kit that was selling for $250 ..He offered it to club members to see it built...$75,unopened.
-Royal/Marutaka ME109 !
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,285 Posts
Did someone take him up on that offer? The plane flies really nice, mine has a magnum .25 in it.