HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2012, 08:09 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,422 Posts
Yes, my spinner is an off-white as well.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:16 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Started on the fuselage servos last night. Seems like the pushrod tubes in my kit extend much farther into the fuselage cavity than the ones shown in the manual. The servo pushrods would hit the outside of the tubes at full servo travel even with the servos turned toward the front of the fuselage. I cut about 3/8" off each tube and left the servos facing forward. This worked much better.
McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:19 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Hey Mike - how easy would it be to make the old "center flap" option.

Mike
pda4you is online now Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:21 AM
Joined Jul 2008
12 Posts
Is anyone is using HiTec,JR or SpekTrum servos for the Contender?

If anyone is using HiTec/JR/Spektrum servos for the Contender what model # are you using? Will a HiTec HS-81 fit? Thanks.
BradFish1 is offline Find More Posts by BradFish1
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:28 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
Brad I don't have the model but I can say from building several of this size the recommended servos are MUCH smaller. Think half that size like HS-55's for Hitec. 81's are really too big and heavy for this dude.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Mike is right, Hs 81'w would be pretty large. You could cut out the wing and servo mounts, but I wouldn't. Though the HS55's would fit, I've found their gear trains to be a little fragile. I'd find something else for the rudder/nosewheel.

As for the Flaps, the wing mounting bolt location and fuselage vents would create some problems. With individual aileron servos, maybe flaperons would serve the same purpose. I'll try them out and see how they work.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:40 AM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,479 Posts
I was thinking old nastalgia more than function. I see that bolt is in a tough spot. The flap was not super effective on the kit anyway.

Not a big deal.

ML
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:25 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
With flaperons, you can do all kinds of neat things with the ailerons. In addition to drooping them for flaps, you can deflect them up for spoilerons, or you can couple them to elevator like the old UC Flite Streaks. Food for future experimentation.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:58 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,422 Posts
For those that have completed the fuselage, how did you glue the stab to the fuselage?
Did you epoxy the stab first then (after it has dried) epoxy the rudder or do both at once?
Did anyone also apply some CA or just epoxy?
Mine isn't quite horizontal and will need a bit of fine sanding before glue tonight.

On an unrelated note, I applied some 1/16" black striping tape (30 years old, purchased new and stored!) to the fuse (and cockpit) on the red to white seams. Makes a big improvement IMHO.
Last edited by ltc; Aug 19, 2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Spelling errors ... Damned iPad auto correct
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
All Done!!!

Horizontal stab was a little off also. Very minor trim to get it right. I used CA on mine and it's plenty stout. Stab first and let dry, then rudder.

With the stock Rimfire .10, the plane is a little nose heavy even with the battery almost to the servos. 30 oz total weight RTF.

The best news???

I've got 1:1 thrust at 1/2 throttle!!!!

This is going to be FUN!!

Maiden tomorrow (weather permitting).

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:48 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,422 Posts
Did you happen to take any wattmeter readings of the Rimfire 10 with the stock prop?

Look forward to hearing the results of the maiden. I am hoping to have mine ready next weekend.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:04 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
Did you happen to take any wattmeter readings of the Rimfire 10 with the stock prop?
26.1 amps and 303 watts with a fresh battery.

160+ watts/lb of power should be enough for some spirited aerobatics.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:30 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
Joined Mar 2010
2,422 Posts
Thank you very much.
Best of luck with the maiden flight ... anxious to hear the results.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:10 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,061 Posts
Maiden went very well. Recommended CG is a little nose heavy. I need to rearrange some things so that I can move the battery farther back. The Contender flies like a much larger sport plane. It's nice and stable and even a little boring on low rates. I will be setting my low rates at the recommended high rate points and then setting my high rates much higher. I set my timer for five minutes and flew most of the flight above 1/2 throttle. The battery, motor, and ESC came down warm to the touch, but not hot. I used 1100 mah out of the 1800 mah battery. There is some rudder to aileron coupling in knife edge and stall turns. I'll need to move the CG back before I can comment on high alpha and hovering, but even with the forward CG, it looks promissing. Landings were great. Just like the original Contender, you can hold the nose wheel off the runway forever.

Overall I'm very happy with the Contender. I'm going to move some things around and fly it again for the review photos and video soon.

Right now I have to start on the writeup for the review.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:21 PM
KK6MQJ
Joined Sep 2004
13,660 Posts
Mike, did that pilot come with it or was that added by you?
Bajora is online now Find More Posts by Bajora
RCG Plus Member