HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:32 PM
Registered User
pda4you's Avatar
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,474 Posts
I am loving this little plane - it is a wonderful performer. I can't believe I waited this long to get one!!!

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:45 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
oneagleswings's Avatar
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
I am loving this little plane - it is a wonderful performer. I can't believe I waited this long to get one!!!

Mike


It's the easiest plane to land that I've ever flown.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:55 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings View Post
It's the easiest plane to land that I've ever flown.
Man you guys are killing me. Windy and cold here....
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:00 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings View Post
Heads up guys, Tower Hobbies has the Mini Contender back on sale for $55.31, better grab you another one at this price.
Finally got around to opening the box - the monokote (?) is like a grandmother's skin. I guess I know why they discounted mine!
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:00 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
oneagleswings's Avatar
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentonflyers View Post
Man you guys are killing me. Windy and cold here....
Fenton, it is here too. It's been cold and windy all week.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:03 PM
Down is up and up is expensive
oneagleswings's Avatar
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Finally got around to opening the box - the monokote (?) is like a grandmother's skin. I guess I know why they discounted mine!

The white mono irons out good but the red needs a little TLC. Put it together and fly the heck out of it and I guarantee you won't care about the wrinkles because you'll be having too much fun.
oneagleswings is offline Find More Posts by oneagleswings
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 01:48 PM
Registered User
United States, FL, Altamonte Springs
Joined Jun 2012
1,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings View Post
The white mono irons out good but the red needs a little TLC. Put it together and fly the heck out of it and I guarantee you won't care about the wrinkles because you'll be having too much fun.
Thanks. Personally, it's not a big deal. Pleased with the quality of the rest of the kit.
voxel is offline Find More Posts by voxel
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 11:59 AM
Registered User
United States, SC, Hilton Head Island
Joined Jan 2013
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneagleswings View Post
It's the easiest plane to land that I've ever flown.

This blonde has no problem landing her everytime!
bulldog2012 is offline Find More Posts by bulldog2012
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
USA, FL, Doral
Joined Jul 2006
1,297 Posts
Hello guys!
one question, I have a couple of older towerpro 2409-12t motors in my bin,
Will they work for the mini contender?
yucafrita is offline Find More Posts by yucafrita
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:01 AM
We shall serve the Lord
kingsflyer's Avatar
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
4,971 Posts
Nope. It's too small and would not have enough power for the Mini Contender. Try to find one that more closely matches the specs of the recommended RimFire.
McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:49 AM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Servos - just double checking...

I have some rctimer 9g plastic gear servos that I would like to use in my contender (already have the aileron servos installed). I believe they are basically a copy of the HXT900 servos...and this same type has held up fine in the past in foamy parkflyers, but I have not used them in a balsa plane before. The servo spec is Torque: 1.8kg/cm, but I will assume that is best case scenario at 6v. Of course, I will be running these at 4.8v so the torque is probably closer to 1.6kg/cm.

Will these servos do the job? Ailerons? Rudder/nose gear? Elevator?

Thanks
Rob
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:19 AM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,667 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay View Post
I have some rctimer 9g plastic gear servos that I would like to use in my contender (already have the aileron servos installed). I believe they are basically a copy of the HXT900 servos...and this same type has held up fine in the past in foamy parkflyers, but I have not used them in a balsa plane before. The servo spec is Torque: 1.8kg/cm, but I will assume that is best case scenario at 6v. Of course, I will be running these at 4.8v so the torque is probably closer to 1.6kg/cm.

Will these servos do the job? Ailerons? Rudder/nose gear? Elevator?

Thanks
Rob
I have HXT-900's in mine with many flights. Works fine.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:33 PM
Checkertail Clan
325FGP's Avatar
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
552 Posts
I'm assembling one now and I had an issue with the sheet metal screws for the main gear straps. They are apparently so cheap that they strip faster than a $2 dancer plus I managed to break one off while trying to turn it into the wood. I even opened up the pilot holes a little more with a drill bit. I'm replacing them with better screws but is that something anyone else has noticed?
325FGP is online now Find More Posts by 325FGP
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:46 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Fenton
Joined Jan 2012
1,667 Posts
I must admit I didn't have any issues with the hardware. I will say that I was suprised how well my little plane kept up with the high dollar Eflite Carbon-Z Splendor that maidened at my field today. One of our senior members always gives me grief about my Contender. He says I spend too much time flying all of the crappy planes I have and not enough time flying the Contender.
Fentonflyers is online now Find More Posts by Fentonflyers
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 09:35 PM
Slow Flyer
Bombay's Avatar
Richmond, TX
Joined Apr 2008
3,235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325FGP View Post
I'm assembling one now and I had an issue with the sheet metal screws for the main gear straps. They are apparently so cheap that they strip faster than a $2 dancer plus I managed to break one off while trying to turn it into the wood. I even opened up the pilot holes a little more with a drill bit. I'm replacing them with better screws but is that something anyone else has noticed?
It is a "known issue". I have heard it from several who have built one and I experienced it myself. It is even mentioned in at least one of the major reviews. The solution, supposedly, is to open up the holes a little (or alot) so the screws go in like butter. Unfortunately, I didn't do that and stripped most of mine...then I backed them all out with pliers and put in some better quality screws.
Bombay is offline Find More Posts by Bombay
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Topflite Contender KIT Scotch029 Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Apr 04, 2012 09:10 PM
Sold Mini Ultra Stik EP Ready-to-fly + new ARF kit! $225 Lindy757 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 20, 2012 11:54 PM
Sold 3 - NIB World Models Yellow Mini Midget Mustang EP - $74 each with Worldwide Shipping gabrielisrael Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Mar 12, 2012 09:55 AM
Sold 4 - NIB World Models Yellow Mini Midget Mustang EP - $74 each with Worldwide Shipping gabrielisrael Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Mar 09, 2012 11:46 AM
Sold ** TopFlite Contender - NIB ** Zipman Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 19, 2011 10:06 AM