SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2012, 09:05 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Help!
Where to get started with RC plane in Perth

I need your help to find a group (or club) that suits a retired bloke like myself.
Preferably a bunch of relaxed and easy going people.

I used to have gliders when dig. prop. r/c was still a novelty. Then I gave away all my gear and focused on my job. Now I've got more time and feel that urge again

Some kind soul gave me a damaged HustlerMk3 with an Enya40ss + Futaba 33Mhz r/c. I am fixing it up and hopefully get it working again. I have never flown a motor model plane before, guess that classifies me as a beginner.

I live in Scarborough, so staying NOR would make things easier. I'd appreciate your advice or comments!

Cheers
scarborofun is offline Find More Posts by scarborofun
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:23 PM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,171 Posts
Unfortunately there's not many clubs around scarbs that are glow friendly, as generally it's too built up until you get out in the boondocks. When I was living in highgate, I either drove 50k's to KAMS or 50 K's to whiteman park to have a fly.

If you want to know a bit more about it here's the WA model aircraft state centre website:
http://www.wamasc.org.au/membership.html

IF you were thinking of playing with gliders or electrics then Yokine is probably your best bet.

Here's the WA Radio Soarers site.
http://www.wars.asn.au/

I take it that your radio frequency was a typo? It should be 36mhz to be legal in australia.

Hope that helps!
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:51 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
Buy a Radian electric glider, cheap ($270 with everything) , great performance out of the box, durable and easy to fix. Get your flying skills up to speed on that and then see what else grabs your fancy.

http://secureshopping.perthrc.com.au...8PKZ4700IM1%29
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Thanks, checking out the links!
Obviously, Yokine would be a handy location for me. I wonder if the Hustler can be converted to electric??
OTOH a good site with a great bunch of guys would be worth a longer drive.
And yes, the frequency is 36, just nixed up the mumbers (36.33)

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curare View Post
Unfortunately there's not many clubs around scarbs that are glow friendly, as generally it's too built up until you get out in the boondocks. When I was living in highgate, I either drove 50k's to KAMS or 50 K's to whiteman park to have a fly.

If you want to know a bit more about it here's the WA model aircraft state centre website:
http://www.wamasc.org.au/membership.html

IF you were thinking of playing with gliders or electrics then Yokine is probably your best bet.

Here's the WA Radio Soarers site.
http://www.wars.asn.au/

I take it that your radio frequency was a typo? It should be 36mhz to be legal in australia.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:15 PM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Thanks, just checking out the link.
Ooops, out of stock
You are right, not much needs to be spent these days to get flying.
I remember, I expanded my Graupner rc from 2 to 3 channels by DIY building my own pcb, to save money. But that was last century.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Buy a Radian electric glider, cheap ($270 with everything) , great performance out of the box, durable and easy to fix. Get your flying skills up to speed on that and then see what else grabs your fancy.

http://secureshopping.perthrc.com.au...8PKZ4700IM1%29
Old Jul 31, 2012, 01:10 PM
Member #1
Australia, NSW, Picnic Point
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Motor, no motor, same flying on the sticks I reckon.
Teamsherman is offline Find More Posts by Teamsherman
Old Jul 31, 2012, 08:50 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
902 Posts
$289 + free shipping.
http://www.modelflight.com.au/index....rch_str=radian
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Aug 01, 2012, 02:31 AM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
The WARS club at Yokine has a great bunch of guys, varied ages and is definately glider friendly though preferably powered gliders, ie radians ect! The Hustler could be converted for sure, have a search through the forums and you will probably find a few threads on successful conversions. Hope to see you down there one Sunday morning

Cheers
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:01 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement. But from experience reality is different. Motor planes fly faster, fall faster and can be rather unforgiving. I can fly them all in the simulator. Just tried ClearviewSE, seems to be quite realistic to me, the way the planes fall apart when crashed

Cheers

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamsherman View Post
Motor, no motor, same flying on the sticks I reckon.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:27 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
You got me really interested!
And then google found this Radian Pro for me:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ro-bnf-PKZ5480
Would need an expensive transmitter to take advantage of the extra functions. That's how it always starts, don't we always want more lol?
Though the foam kind of puts me off a bit. If I used foam I always had it clad with balsa.

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
Old Aug 01, 2012, 04:48 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
Hi Craig, you might just see me there! I actually had a look 2 or 3 weeks ago. Probably didn't wait long enough, had other things on. There were a couple of guys with a helicopter but no fixed wings. So I thought I try again some other day.
Electric seems to be the future, though the old rubber band launch was keeping things light, cheap and simple.

Cheers

Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumps View Post
The WARS club at Yokine has a great bunch of guys, varied ages and is definately glider friendly though preferably powered gliders, ie radians ect! The Hustler could be converted for sure, have a search through the forums and you will probably find a few threads on successful conversions. Hope to see you down there one Sunday morning

Cheers
Craig
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:58 AM
Australia, WA, Osborne Park
Joined Jul 2011
117 Posts
I think you'll also be surprised how many smaller groups of people are at local parks! I am a member at Yokine but fly mostly with a bunch of mates I made through meeting at a park flying.
The sport is awesome, I can't rate it enough on so many levels, coming from competitive gas/lecky cars. It's relaxing, great people and a detachment from all of life's first world problems, 8 minuets at a time!
With power systems, depending on a budget and expense of airframe, Hobbyking (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc) ESC/Motors and Lipo's are hard to beat, bang for buck(Aus warehouse). IMO their airframes are very hit and miss so I avoid them.
The horizon hobby stuff is a fantastic way to get back in to it also, the planes fly great and foam is so easy to fix!
Spectrum raido gear has manipulated its way in to the market to the point where it's hard not to buy one, IMO get a second hand raido. Millions of them!
Wretcho is offline Find More Posts by Wretcho
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:17 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarborofun View Post
You got me really interested!
And then google found this Radian Pro for me:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ro-bnf-PKZ5480
Would need an expensive transmitter to take advantage of the extra functions. That's how it always starts, don't we always want more lol?
Though the foam kind of puts me off a bit. If I used foam I always had it clad with balsa.

Tony
You are best off paying a few extra dineros for a good TX upfront! You can then keep it for many models and wing types as you get more into it and if it's a good radio it will sell easily enough if you decided you want out. JR, Spektrum or Futaba are all great, it's just a matter of what you like the look and feel of. Most 8 channel radios are in the $450-800 range or there are some great 6 channel TX out there even cheaper too.
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:20 AM
Member #1
Joined Aug 2011
6,901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretcho View Post
I think you'll also be surprised how many smaller groups of people are at local parks! I am a member at Yokine but fly mostly with a bunch of mates I made through meeting at a park flying.
The sport is awesome, I can't rate it enough on so many levels, coming from competitive gas/lecky cars. It's relaxing, great people and a detachment from all of life's first world problems, 8 minuets at a time!
With power systems, depending on a budget and expense of airframe, Hobbyking (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/index.rc) ESC/Motors and Lipo's are hard to beat, bang for buck(Aus warehouse). IMO their airframes are very hit and miss so I avoid them.
The horizon hobby stuff is a fantastic way to get back in to it also, the planes fly great and foam is so easy to fix!
Spectrum raido gear has manipulated its way in to the market to the point where it's hard not to buy one, IMO get a second hand raido. Millions of them!
+1 for sure!

If it wasn't for the Hammo guys I probably would have given up months ago. I also went down the lecky car path years ago but found it too snobbish for me but the RC plane folk seem alot more relaxed and welcoming that's for sure! My uncle races still and has many state and national titles to his name now after I recommended he give it a crack years ago!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:14 AM
RC addict
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2012
69 Posts
After 6 month I can say that I am firmly rooted in the hobby now. Am a member in Yokine and fly there more than once a week. Also have some smaller planes that I fly on calm mornings in the nearby park. Electric is the way to go really.
Got 10 planes programmed in my DX6i now and will retire the ones I don't use much any more. My favourite thermal glider is a Phoenix2000. I must be Hobby King's best customer...
Staple multi purpose is a Bixler with the motor moved to the front (for noise reduction). What a easy plane to have.
The E-Flite Leader is my favourite right now.
Latest experiments include a Divinity Wing which I now have on an Eagle Tree stabiliser. Works so good that I will have to stop using it much, or I'll forget how to fly! But the Wing is a good platform for a camera, which is now a AEE MagiCam. With 90 grams it needs a solid plane.

Thanks for all your help to get me on the tracks here.

Cheers
Tony