HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2012, 06:19 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
Yeah, we will have to work out some place to meet. If you are near Bendigo, it is possible I could head up that way and my partner would go to her parents in Bendigo.
I haven't seen any good flying places in/around Bendigo myself.

For springs, you would probably be best off going to a place selling springs and stuff. They would have all the many kinds of spring types..... but who knows where! I haven't needed them for this sort of thing, but I have so much small "junk" around I usually find stuff like that in something I can break to get them etc. LOL.
It should be "Google-able", to find someone. I did that for bearings, silver-steel etc and easy to get results (In Aust).
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2012, 11:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
We are in Quarry Hill not far from TC..There are a few "paddocks" around but whether we can fly is another matter...The Marong flying field is locked up...We checked last week just to see if there we any "free time" when no one was there. regarding the spring hinges..It was the hinge with spring attached I was looking for..I have some of the 4hole du-bro ones The ones with springs are the 6hole ones..maybe try get some of them and mod them.. I have made mock ups of landing gear doors..I used an old black DVD case It may be suitable with couple of strips of C/F along the length..Pics on the way.
agedflier is offline Find More Posts by agedflier
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
1,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier View Post
I know the spring hinges your talking about but HK dont have them and the only ones I have seen are the"Lander" ones I have tried to add small springs from girls hair alligator clips but the "spring" diameter is too big and trying to make it smaller destroys the spring.
Are these the ones you are looking for??

Here is the links to them!!
DOUBLE SPRING
SINGLE SPRING
Hope this helps!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:59 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
They look likely to be just right. Thanks for that! I never even thought about those ones.
Good for my Lander Panther top cheaters too! LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:32 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
Spring Hinges

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post
Are these the ones you are looking for??

Here is the links to them!!
DOUBLE SPRING
SINGLE SPRING
Hope this helps!!

LURCH
Thanks lurch...these are the ones..$6.95 a good price..but sadly US postage at $20 makes it not worth while..Why is US mail so expensive?? See it a lot on Ebay of parts costing less than $10 and postage never under $20
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:22 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
HK Vampire upgrades

Back again..Looks like everything I wrote 1hr ago didnt make it due to site maintenance..so here goes again.

I have completed the landing gear doors and test fitted into one wing..The outer door does not have a closing mechanism as yet and any ideas would be appreciated. I have heard/seen some operated by string/piano wire but not sure I can do that without cutting out more foam.On the outer doors I have used the large DU-BRO hinges and cobbled girls hair clips for the springs..A lot cheaper than the Lander ones pictured above considering that postage to AU was going to be $20

I have also added more magnets to the canopy opening as a result of reading about "Peter's" untimely "ejection"..lol..Still a lot to do before it is as I want it.. I will be making it into one from RAF City of Glasgow Squadron..where I grew up.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:08 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
I will do my hatch lock using a slide mechanism like most of my aircraft have.
Seen in the Me-262 build log:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1729495

The main gear leg covers look good! I'll have to get onto that.

For the outer gear doors you should be able to run a wire, or plastic leg, or "L", that the wheel hits as it passes the hinge level approx (adjustable by th eLeg/"L" design) and thus pulls the outer door closed as the wheel does that final 30mm approx of travel.
The leg/"L" thing will end up vertical in the bay almost, trapped and held down by the wheel now in there.

Is that hairclip spring a bit strong? I am thinking a very weak spring for that part. Very thin multi coil of that same shape.
The leg/"L" thing can be attached to the hinge, or even the door - whatever works best and easiest.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PeterVRC; Sep 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:45 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
Looks like I may have to do without the outer gear doors.I have tried all combinations and none successful.. Seems that the wheel does not go deep enough into the wheel.well and the wheel is also very close to the door when the steel pin hits it to bring it down causing the wheel to jam on the door.When I bend the pin to clear the door all I get is 3/4 closed and thats about it...Any other ideas please as I spent 2 hours working on different combinations.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:42 PM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
But this is done on several PNF's and works fine. So it must be do-able. lol
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:40 PM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
I'm sure it is Maybe a with micro servo but remember we have swung the landing gear around to correct position.That's whats created the problem. not enough thickness.. Most of the ones I have seen with working inner doors are what I call "in swingers" Doors on them are usually attached to the thickest part of the wing or fuselage..Even the $400 ready2fly Venom doesnt have outer doors...I have filled that part now and can cut it out again if someone has and other ideas
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:27 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
I have now got all the pieces together but for some reason the left boom was out of alignment so had to do some surgery on it...love how you can cut and paste foamies....next step is to glass it all and check that all square when its finished..Will post pic's tomorrow.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:47 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
What will you use with the glass cloth?
I have been meaning to glass/WBPU one. Probably my FlyFly F-100 later on.
I bought a few square metres of cloth long ago, but have been too lazy to go to such time consuming and messy lengths so far.

Then the Liquid Sheeting aim also.... to get some for a start, and then pick a plane for that. That stuff looks amazing when done well!! It may as well be a composite aircraft !!

And in the meantime, 4 or 5 good coats of WBPU have made those aircraft (5 or 6) very tough and resilient. The Vampire had about 8 flights without gear (belly landing) and came out looking 100% new still. So it is a good 'half measure' between LS or Glass.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
Australia, VIC, Bendigo
Joined Jan 2012
2,040 Posts
Vampire update

Yes Peter Im using the fine HK glass with WBPU (see cockpit pic and rudders )..I like to hide all the nasty deep panel lines..reminds me of the old plastic kits long long ago..hehe I have done the repair on the left boom...Maybe it was the angle of the carbon rod..Anyway it's all fixed Now forward and onward with the glassing.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
What filler did you use?
And what about panel lines afterwards?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,626 Posts
I got my rudder servos....
Well actually, over a week ago... closer to two weeks. But I forgot!!!
I just packed things 'away'... said "Oh, the Vampire rudder servos".... and then forgot....

Though the Me-262 took all the limelight this week!

So the Vampire needs:

1) Inboard Flaps trimmed off to scale. And check all flaps for final sizing etc.

2) Rudders added. Which will be good because I run the battery about 30mm back from the front end, so it has room to balance out the rudder stuff (servos etc).

3) Gear doors - at least the leg portion ones. And check into the other door portion fitting and operation.

4) Probably a bit of increased cheater airflow source. It is just a bit under-powered now, and hatch-off gives 100g more thrust for 2A more current, so I could hopefully get that via a cheater - either just cut out the underbelly one as typical, or use the top centre ones. I don;t see any ballooning, so using the underbelly ones seem fine to me anyway.

5) Putty up.... fix up paint.... re-WBPU and finish off. (new decals)

I will squeeze in some Vampire stuff this week and weekend, as the Me-262 is being left to do some flying before its further, more serious, mod list gets underway!

And..... I have to get my 90mm CS12 F-22 flying!!!! At 1700W power for now it is not enough and needs to hit 2000W to 2200W for it to work adequately. I think my 'upgrade' plan is good for 2000W..... but might only make it to 1900W, which might JUST be enough too. (or I could be surprised and reach 2100W or more anyway).
RCG Plus Member